• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Retro [AMSTRAD CPC] TOP 10 GAMES

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Amstrad was a bit before my time but there's just something so charming about games made during the days of hardware limitation.

Classic Replay Top 10 Amstrad CPC Games. Selling just over 3 million units, the Amstrad CPC established itself as the third computer in the UK and throughout Europe. Over 1500 commercial games were released over its lifetime, but which were the best? There are so many great games available for the Amstrad CPC, these are highly subjective, but this list was taken from a Classic Replay Facebook poll from actual Amstrad CPC owners/community members. Hope you enjoy!

Trophy Points
I don't remember any of these games for the Amstrad, but it had much better graphics than people gave it credit for.

The #1 game there was a Batman game we had by the same team and frig it was difficult.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I don't remember any of these games for the Amstrad, but it had much better graphics than people gave it credit for.

The #1 game there was a Batman game we had by the same team and frig it was difficult.

I think a lot of the Amstrad games that were big in the UK and Europe either didn't make it, or weren't big here, in particular the Dizzy games.

Wahesh

Beast by Name, Beast by Nature
Trophy Points
Amstrad was a bit before my time but there's just something so charming about games made during the days of hardware limitation.

Classic Replay Top 10 Amstrad CPC Games. Selling just over 3 million units, the Amstrad CPC established itself as the third computer in the UK and throughout Europe. Over 1500 commercial games were released over its lifetime, but which were the best? There are so many great games available for the Amstrad CPC, these are highly subjective, but this list was taken from a Classic Replay Facebook poll from actual Amstrad CPC owners/community members. Hope you enjoy!

Oh I'm a retro nut - that is the only real reason I even visit Reddit these days - to relive nostalgia.

I love pixels and the old sounds they used to have and playing them on a small CRT TV - those are awesome memories.

I had a Master System and rate it very high - I mean to these days thinking of how such a simple system had relatively great graphics and gameplay for a console released in 1985 is amazing.

Retro consoles and game all have their charm.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I'm pretty sure they've actually brought the Amstrad back with all the same hardware specs etc.. there are guys making games for it which is awesome.. I reckon if you've got the skill set and can create a simple effective game with all the limitations then you're pretty set.

But yeah there really is a charm to the 8bit and 16bit gen consoles.. I really love pixel art and the audio of course when it's done well.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
I'm pretty sure they've actually brought the Amstrad back with all the same hardware specs etc.. there are guys making games for it which is awesome.. I reckon if you've got the skill set and can create a simple effective game with all the limitations then you're pretty set.

But yeah there really is a charm to the 8bit and 16bit gen consoles.. I really love pixel art and the audio of course when it's done well.
Same here bro. Even the cover art of the games is awesome. I know the Master Systems grid artwork was iconic.

1648696761412.png

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Same here bro. Even the cover art of the games is awesome. I know the Master Systems grid artwork was iconic.

View attachment 1922

The uniformed branding was always on point by Nintendo and Sega.. It's weird man like you look at some of the artwork on some of those Sega covers and it's nothing special, but they evoke a special feeling.

When I was in primary school I had a friend who had moved over from Hong Kong.. they had the Famicon with the disc setup and they had all these rare games that were only released in Japan/Asia.. spent a lot of time at his place as you could imagine.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
The uniformed branding was always on point by Nintendo and Sega.. It's weird man like you look at some of the artwork on some of those Sega covers and it's nothing special, but they evoke a special feeling.

When I was in primary school I had a friend who had moved over from Hong Kong.. they had the Famicon with the disc setup and they had all these rare games that were only released in Japan/Asia.. spent a lot of time at his place as you could imagine.
Farout man, that would've been amazing. The thing about living here is that we're a PAL region so only get what Europe get. We don't get the NTSC exclusive stuff that Japan and North America get. At least now we can more easily access that kind of stuff lol.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Farout man, that would've been amazing. The thing about living here is that we're a PAL region so only get what Europe get. We don't get the NTSC exclusive stuff that Japan and North America get. At least now we can more easily access that kind of stuff lol.

Yeah true.. the only thing is that they were obsessed with RPG games which I don't mind but would much preferred to have been playing platformers

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Yeah true.. the only thing is that they were obsessed with RPG games which I don't mind but would much preferred to have been playing platformers
I think I might have been wrong. After watching this video, I realised that perhaps the premature fall of the Sega Master System in the US, THEY were the ones who missed out on many great games.

For instance, they didn't get Sonic 2 which was one of the best Master System games ever made. Other great titles which they didn't get (off the top of my head) include Alien Storm, Battle Out Run, Double Hawk, Operation Wolf, Streets of Rage, and Ninja Gaiden. Unbelievable.

No wonder why it failed there. Some of the best games on the system game out towards the end of it's shelf life, and that's because the Master System (where possible) tried to emulate the Sega Mega Drive by porting certain titles that were great.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I think I might have been wrong. After watching this video, I realised that perhaps the premature fall of the Sega Master System in the US, THEY were the ones who missed out on many great games.

For instance, they didn't get Sonic 2 which was one of the best Master System games ever made. Other great titles which they didn't get (off the top of my head) include Alien Storm, Battle Out Run, Double Hawk, Operation Wolf, Streets of Rage, and Ninja Gaiden. Unbelievable.

No wonder why it failed there. Some of the best games on the system game out towards the end of it's shelf life, and that's because the Master System (where possible) tried to emulate the Sega Mega Drive by porting certain titles that were great.

Geez you think some of those titles would be specials in the US.. particularly the likes of Streets of Rage..

Slightly off topic, but one of the things I always find funny is the back stories to character name changes (and other changes) from Japan versions to US.. such as how "Jump Man" (Mario) was named after a Nintendo US land lord, and then of course Super Mario Bros 2 which was originally Doki Doki Panic

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Geez you think some of those titles would be specials in the US.. particularly the likes of Streets of Rage..

Slightly off topic, but one of the things I always find funny is the back stories to character name changes (and other changes) from Japan versions to US.. such as how "Jump Man" (Mario) was named after a Nintendo US land lord, and then of course Super Mario Bros 2 which was originally Doki Doki Panic
That's right - I mean the game was a good seller on the Mega Drive, but the Master System version (in my eyes) was one of the rare games that was better ported to that console. It was challenging, yet achievable. I played it a few times on the Mega Drive and I wasn't that impressed by it - similar to how I found Double Dragon better on the Master System. Plenty of games however, such as Alien Storm, Golden Axe, and Altered Beast were better on the Mega Drive.

You know it's funny you mentioned names of game titles - and one that I've always been confused with is the Famicom - which was known everywhere outside of Japan as Nintendo (NES). "Nintendo" is actually a Japanese name which was used everywhere outside Japan, yet "Famicom" is an amalgamation of "Family Computer" - English words - which were used IN Japan. Very confusing that they went with that choice of wording given the regions they were being used in.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
That's right - I mean the game was a good seller on the Mega Drive, but the Master System version (in my eyes) was one of the rare games that was better ported to that console. It was challenging, yet achievable. I played it a few times on the Mega Drive and I wasn't that impressed by it - similar to how I found Double Dragon better on the Master System. Plenty of games however, such as Alien Storm, Golden Axe, and Altered Beast were better on the Mega Drive.

You know it's funny you mentioned names of game titles - and one that I've always been confused with is the Famicom - which was known everywhere outside of Japan as Nintendo (NES). "Nintendo" is actually a Japanese name which was used everywhere outside Japan, yet "Famicom" is an amalgamation of "Family Computer" - English words - which were used IN Japan. Very confusing that they went with that choice of wording given the regions they were being used in.

Yeah true true it's a shame when a port isn't as good as the original or the best version. I think I mentioned it in another thread but my mates former neighbour used to build arcade cabinets and after a barbecue one evening we brought onto my mates verandah which had an emulator for all those games.. was sick!

That is interesting. I think the only difference with the Famicon was the disk. Also Nintendo 64 was originally "Ultra Famicon" in Japan, Nintendo Ultra 64 in other markets.