• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Official ARLC approves changes to head injury protocols

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Trophy Points

ARLC approves changes to head injury protocols​

NRL Media Release
Wed 15 Mar 2023, 01:38 PM

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) has approved changes to the NRL’s head injury protocols, including the introduction of a mandatory 11-day stand-down following a diagnosed concussion.

The Commission approved the new stand-down procedure following a review of the data and advice from a range of experts.

The new requirement, which applies to concussions diagnosed both at training and during games, will take effect from Thursday 16 March 2023 being the commencement of Round 3.

ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys AM said: “There is no greater priority for us than player safety. It’s front and centre of everything we do. Our current head injury protocols are exceptionally strong. Following a review of the data and the expert advice we have received, the Commission have enhanced these protocols even further by providing a mandatory 11 day stand down period following a diagnosed concussion.”

In exceptional circumstances, Clubs will have the ability to apply for exemption to the 11-day stand-down period, through a review by an independent neurological expert appointed by the NRL.

This application will only be allowable where the following set criteria are met:
  • Category 1 signs/symptoms are not observed
  • The player is asymptomatic the day following the concussion
  • Cognitive testing has returned to normal
  • The player has suffered fewer than five previous career concussions
  • The player has no previously diagnosed concussions within the previous three months
  • The player has no history of a previous concussion with prolonged recovery
The Commission will continue to procure the best scientific information from experts in the field. Further, the Commission will continue to monitor the latest technologies including blood and saliva testing as a tool for diagnosing concussion and continue to implement programs such as tackle technique education and tools to further prevent injuries. Player welfare is and will always be the number one priority.

Trophy Points
A step in the right direction, but I can just see it being an uneven playing field regarding allowances and exemptions.

Going to need to go well beyond a Top 30 squad as well.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
There's going to be so many of the games best players sitting on the sidelines each week. I dunno.. Surely they don't have to go to such extreme lengths to avoid lawsuits.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I don't know why they can't just update player contracts. If they're worried the future, move aside... I mean does the boxing federation get sued?

Trophy Points
There's going to be so many of the games best players sitting on the sidelines each week. I dunno.. Surely they don't have to go to such extreme lengths to avoid lawsuits.
I think the class action in the AFL that's going ahead now, has the NRL shitting themselves and making kneejerk decisions.

Also... blame Ponga for getting concussed every time the wind changes direction in a game.