• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News Canterbury Bulldogs cult hero Geoff Robinson reveals fears about his cancer battle.

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Trophy Points

Canterbury Bulldogs cult hero Geoff Robinson reveals fears about his cancer battle​

He was fearless in his Bulldogs rugby league career, but now he can’t sleep for fear of not waking up. Now hardman Geoff Robinson opens up on his toughest battle.

Dean Ritchie - News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
December 14, 2021 - 4:07PM

He feared few opponents when a tearaway Canterbury cult hero in the 1980s, but right now Geoff Robinson is scared. He’s frightened of going to sleep for fear of not waking up. He stays awake for days. He’s afraid of disappointing his wife Janine, seven kids – Layla, Hayden, Travis, Jayde, Nadine, Simone and Joel – and 16 grandkids, by giving up on life; fearful when alone as tears stream down his gaunt cheeks.

This is the heartbreaking yet uplifting story of a front-rower who terrorised rivals during a 139 game first grade career at Belmore, which included three grand finals and premierships in 1980 and ’84.

Raw and aggressive with flowing black hair, long beard and socks down around his ankles, Robinson would electrify the Belmore faithful with his combative and bullish charges into defensive lines. He was known as the Wild Man, or simply Robbo.

That hulking playing frame of 92kg has now been reduced to just 64kg. Those once powerful legs are now raw-boned.

It is difficult to compare the player we remember to the man today.

Damn you, cancer.

“I’d rather play a tough game of rugby league than fight this,” Robinson says.

Robinson, 63, has throat and tongue cancer and has undertaken a heavy course of radiation and chemotherapy. Robinson will have a further PET scan in January.

He can barely open his mouth and feeds himself primarily through a tube in his stomach. He also has blood clots on his lungs. If you think it cannot get any worse, it can. Robinson ended up in a wheelchair – and later using a walking stick — with a fractured knee after falling over during his recovery.

As much as he wants to remain positive, the demons often dance in Robinson’s head, dreading that his treasured life might be cut short. He pushes the devil to one side and fights every day.

He sometimes sneaks into his garage and has a quiet beer while sifting through photos and memories from his playing days. It brings him good vibes.

Robinson fought back tears as he spoke with The Daily Telegraph about his most colossal battle at his home in Sydney’s southwest.

Yet, through the anguish is a man of remarkable courage and love for his family. The walls inside his family home are covered with family photos.

He refuses to concede and has vowed to fight this wretched bastard all the way. He cannot drive nor mow his manicured lawns, the latter stings for this houseproud knockabout from Prestons.

A much-needed and deserved smile should return to Robinson’s face this Friday when many of his old Canterbury mates – and plenty of fans – gather for a beer to toast Robinson’s career at the Twin Willows Hotel, owned by his great mate and Bulldogs sponsor Arthur Laundy. Robinson has been having a beer at the Bass Hill pub since he was 17 years old.

THE CANCER

Robinson collapsed at a local shopping mall four months ago.

Tests were undertaken and he was “shocked” at the results.

“This is the toughest fight I’ve ever had, and I’ve played some pretty hard games of footy back in the 1980s,” Robinson said.
“I have never run into something this hard in all my life – and to try and beat it.
“I can’t sleep. I don’t want to go to sleep and not wake up. I have been two, three days without any sleep. I rarely sleep but when I do and I wake up I think: ‘I’m still here’.
“It was a shock when they did some scans and came up with cancer in the throat and tongue. It’s hard to get through, very difficult. I didn’t expect it to be like this because there’s no cancer in my family. It’s a big fight.
“The cancer in my throat is preventing me from eating. I’ve lost 32kg, which is hard because sometimes I do get hungry but I can’t chew.
“I’m down to 64kg. I can’t drive and I get very tired. My jaw just won’t open up. I’ve got a tube. I put liquid through there and stuff to keep up my vitamins. The bastard’s been leaking. It’s a pain in the arse.
“I’m trying to put as much as I can through my mouth. I can’t eat steak or anything like that. Just soft stuff because it hurts my throat, where the cancer is.”

1639529447748.png

THE BATTLE

It’s been physically and emotionally devastating.

“But if I give up, my family and friends would be so disappointed – and I don’t want to disappoint them,” he said.
“There are times when I say to them: ‘You don’t know what I’m going through’. And that’s a bad thing for me to say. There is nothing they can say.
“It hurts so much when my grandkids come in and go: ‘Are you okay, Poppy?’”

Robinson puts his head in his hands before continuing.

“I have always thought of myself as a pretty strong person but this has gotten me a couple of times. I’ll be honest – it has brought me to tears. It’s hard because this isn’t going away quickly.
“There are days when I just break down and cry, especially when I sit by myself (Janine works as a schoolteacher).
“I’ve had radiation and chemotherapy. It was the highest (treatment) you can get. I get my main results back in January to tell me whether it’s done the job or whether there’s more treatment.
“Everyone is trying so hard to make it better, they are all so positive, never negative. I’ve got so much support from friends and family. I couldn’t have done it by myself.”

Robinson’s wife, children and grandkids give him the motivation to keep fighting. Picture: Jonathan Ng

Robinson’s wife, children and grandkids give him the motivation to keep fighting. Picture: Jonathan Ng

THE DEMONS

Robinson tries to eradicate the internal noise.

“They (the demons) are there – and they won’t go away. I think this might cut my life short. I’ve got such a great family ... to think I might not get to see my grandkids or great grandkids, my wife, kids,” he said.
“It’s going to take me away from all this, which I love so much. I was married at 18 and have always had family around me.
“That’s the hardest thing – leaving them and it not being my choice. It’s very hard. Sometimes it’s hard talking about it. Your mind starts to wander, like it is now.
“That’s what scares me and I’m not easily scared. But this is the scariest thing I have ever gone through. I’m not used to having these feelings.
“I have times and days when I get down and you feel like saying: “I’ve had enough’.”

I WILL PREVAIL

Robinson has bounced back from each setback and has vowed to fight – and win.

“I’ve got seven kids and 16 grandkids – I can’t give up. I have so much to fight for. My family and friends,” he said.
“There are days when I think it’s getting worse but that’s the negative thinking. I have to fight every day. It’s a battle I will win.
“There are times when I wake up and feel great and I say: ‘Geez I hope I can stay like this for the rest of the day’.
“They won’t let me do my lawns, I like to do my lawns at least once a week. If I do the lawns, I’m buggered.
“I might have one or two beers now whereas before, I used to love a beer. I don’t go to the pub much anymore. I sit down the back of my garage with a beer. There are old photos there which I go through.
“It’s great to reminisce.”

RAMPAGING ROBBO

Robinson would tear into opponents without fear.

“My dad (Reg) always said to me: ‘The harder you run, the further you’re going to go’. It was something I was brought up with.
“I didn’t want to be that aggressive that I hurt someone but if you’re playing a sport at a high level, you have to do the best you can and go as hard as you can. If you go as hard as you can then they aren’t going to hurt you.
“It was simple, that’s how I played it – the harder and tougher you can be, the more chance your side has of winning the game. That was how my dad wanted me to play.
“I had long hair because when we were little we weren’t allowed to have long hair. We always had what they call the college cut – short back and sides. I was brought up in a strict family – mum (Kathleen) still lives in the same Housing Commission house in Villawood. Dad passed away about five years ago.

“The memories from playing are more about the blokes I played with. We were such a close-knit side. We mightn’t have had the best footballers but we had a great friendship, on and off the field.

“I will never, ever forget the ‘80s with the Bulldogs. The crowds back then at Belmore, or at the SCG, the atmosphere was just incredible. After the game we’d have a beer with our supporters.

“We were the family club. Even to this day, they are still in touch with me. Canterbury is such a great club, they have been so good to me. They always ring up and ask me to go to places.”

Canterbury’s 1980 grand final squad: (from top left) Graeme Hughes, Greg Brentnall and Mark Hughes. (Middle row) Steve Folkes, Geoff Robinson, Chris Mortimer, John Coveney, Chris Anderson and Lee Pomfret. (Front row) Steve Gearin, Peter Mortimer, CEO Peter Moore, captain George Peponis, coach John Glossop, Gary Hughes and Steve Mortimer at Belmore Oval. Picture: Barry McKinnon

Canterbury’s 1980 grand final squad: (from top left) Graeme Hughes, Greg Brentnall and Mark Hughes. (Middle row) Steve Folkes, Geoff Robinson, Chris Mortimer, John Coveney, Chris Anderson and Lee Pomfret. (Front row) Steve Gearin, Peter Mortimer, CEO Peter Moore, captain George Peponis, coach John Glossop, Gary Hughes and Steve Mortimer at Belmore Oval. Picture: Barry McKinnon

TODAY’S DOGS

The once-mighty Dogs haven’t won a title since 2004. Yet good times lie ahead after securing Phil Gould as general manager of football and then enjoying one of the biggest recruitment drives in Canterbury history.

“Gus is a friend of mine – he’s one of the greatest buys we have ever made,” Robinson said. “He’s the best. The players that they’ve bought … they are all great names and great players.
“But there is more to Canterbury than just being a great name. You have to get along with each other, love where you play, love the jersey. Gus knows what our club is like.
“I’d like to say we can win the comp this coming year but I don’t think that will happen, although I hope it does. But there is a lot of work involved. We’re on the right track.
“And Canterbury has a great sponsor there in Arthur Laundy. He is a great businessman and a great person.”

THE NRL

Robinson still loves rugby league but isn’t enamoured with today’s game.

“I will be honest and say, no, I’m not happy with the way the game has changed so much,” Robinson said.
“It’s changed a hell of a lot. Maybe I’m a bit old-school, that’s just the way I am. I don’t like it that much, it doesn’t attract me.
“The characters have gone. Plus there’s the rule changes and the money involved. There are a lot of changes that have happened so quickly. I don’t watch a lot, I must admit.
“But I do sometimes feel sorry for the players. If they decide to go out, there’s always someone there with a phone camera. They are looking over their shoulders all the time because other people want to earn some money out of them.”

FRIDAY FUN

Robinson wanted to catch up with members of the Bulldogs’ 1991 Presidents Cup premiership-winning side, whom he coached.

From there, the event grew. Players and fans are now coming from around Sydney, even interstate.

Former players Jason Smith, David Gillespie, John Coveney, Jim Leis, Terry Lamb, Paul Langmack and Andrew Farrar will attend, among a host of others including club chairman John Khoury and CEO Aaron Warburton.

Fans have contacted Laundy wanting to send a donation, but this isn’t a fundraiser, purely a chance for many to recognise and remember Robinson’s on-field feats.

“My old mates will be there. It will be like going back in time,” Robinson said excitedly.

Laundy said simply: “Everyone loves Robbo.”

Trophy Points
Gees, a rough trot and a massive battle for Robbo.

I wish him all the best in a hopeful recovery from this dreadful disease.