• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Favorite Sitcoms

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Wahesh

Beast by Name, Beast by Nature
Trophy Points
Aside from TV shows, what sitcoms specifically are your, not necessarily of today, but of all time? There are plenty out there. You can use this forum as a reference: https://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/

Cheers: I really only caught up on this show watching the re-runs on 11, but it seems to be a show that set the stage for Becker in some form. There are a few references to this bar in Becker, and it has a typical 80s/90s bar feel to it.

Blossom: I remember watching this show in the early 90s. It was a pretty cool family-friendly sitcom that would sometimes venture out of the comfort zone, but was overall a show that was pretty cool. Having a 15 year old girl as the centre was a bit risky, but I think overall it was good.

Boy Meets World: Much like Blossom, I only remember watching this show in the early-mid 90s. The show ran right up until 2000 and was actually cancelled in it's prime due to the actors in the show needing to finish their high school studies. I never managed to get into the spin-off, Girl Meets World, however.

Full House: I bet you guys here can still remember the opening jingle, right? This show was awesome and family friendly. I think they took a wrong turn by having Mary Kate and Ashley play one character. I mean I know there are laws involved in this but I think it would've been cool having them both play individual characters. Awesome show. Again, it didn't get into the "Fuller House" spin-off.

Friends: This was only a show I watch (even the re-runs to this day) sporadically. It's just if it's on TV and there's nothing else on, I'll watch it. It can be pretty funny at times thanks mainly to Joey and Chandler. I think Phoebe's character was a little too dopey though lol.

Home Improvement: Everyone know what time it is? Tool Time. This show was pretty good in it's prime I'l admit. I think when it got cancelled in 1999, it was a little over-due.

Just Shoot Me: This show was, in my opinion, the one that made David Spade. A unique show set in the office of a magazine in New York City. It had it's moments, but again, I think it went a season or 2 too long.

Married... with Children: Ed O'Neill. That is all. He was capable of making a boring show salesman's character as funny as can be. I loved this show - it was set in Suburban Chicago though, not New York.

The Nanny: This was another Sitcom set in New York, however what I liked about this show is that the main character(s) weren't the funny ones. I think Niles and C.C. were what made this show as funny as it was, and last as long as it did.

Sabrina, the Teenage Witch: You're probably thinking "WTF" when it comes to this one. Well, it's simple really. Remember back in the 90s when the Footy was on delayed telecast on Friday nights? Something needed to fill the void between 7:30-8:30 - and this was the only half-decent thing on, so I got into it I guess. It was pretty funny. The 2 aunts as well as Salem the cat were all pretty funny.

Seinfeld: Long hailed as the Greatest Sitcom of all time, I never really got into it until well after it's cancellation. I mean I can see it's funny now, however back in the 90s, I was only interested in The Simpsons, so Seinfeld, as good as it was, wasn't a show I watched. I can see now though that it was a great show and can see why it's the greatest.

Spin City: Another show I got into after it's cancellation. The show is currently on Stan and that's how I'm tuning into it. A great show, and Michael J Fox, who is also the main character, is also the funniest - very unusual for a sitcom.

Step by Step: I remember watching this show in the early-mid 90s. Man this was a funny show. They brought Cody in at the best time and he gave it the boost it needed. Now, this show was about 2 differing families living together after the single parents get married, and how they manage to live together.

Becker: Well, it's pretty simple. This show is one of my favorite sitcoms ever. Easily in my top 3. You wouldn't think a show about a consistently angry doctor would be up there, but Ted Danson nails it on the head in his portal as John Becker. There are a few references to Cheers throughout the show including appearances from Cheers cast members. Set in the Bronx, NYC, the show has only a few areas of filming, such as the practice, the dinner, and Johns apartment, however there are several other areas used throughout the show, including actual filming done in New York in the outdoors scenes. Great show.

Everybody Loves Raymond: Another great sitcom which I always used to watch with Becker as they ran one after the other - even the re-runs to this day on 11 have them running together. Great show set in suburban New York about a dysfunctional family with Raymond's over-bearing parents who live across the street always interfering and criticising Raymond and his family. It sounds dark, but is very funny. It ages quite gracefully as well as I find the longer the show went on, the better the episodes became.

How I Met Your Show: The spiritual successor to friends, this show ran for 9 seasons, and it took that long Ted to tell us who the mother was. It didn't end the way most of the fans wanted it to end, but we at least enjoyed the choice of actress who they chose as the mother.

Two and a Half Men: Until the departure of Charlie Sheen in 2012, this show was great. It had a pretty simple watch, rinse, repeat sense to it, however, they changed things up perfectly in order to keep it fresh and I think that had a lot to do with it's success. I will say this though, Ashton Kutcher showing up ruined the show completely as they changed it in almost every way. It should've been cancelled once Charlie Sheen departed, or, better yet, kiss and make up, and continue making a great show. Oh well... common sense never prevails.

Modern Family: This show was one of those rare sitcoms I liked to watch that didn't have a studio audience of laugh track. That way you knew whenever you laughed at something it was legit. Now, I don't agree with the concept of a modern family, but this shows stories were hilarious.

Rules of Engagement: My goodness you talk about a unique show, this is it. Now yes, it's in New York, however it's concept is different. We have a married couple where a wife always tries to better her husband and fails nearly each time, a young engaged couple who are fairly friendly but very naive with what marriage has in store for them, and their single, stupid, womanising friend, who later hires an intelligent graduate to be his assistant.

2 Broke Girls: I watched this based on the cast. Now at first this comedy is great, but it's one of those ones that can get old and boring pretty quickly. It comes as no surprise though that it got cancelled at a time when the story wasn't yet complete.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Seinfeld.. I was the same.. I never really got into it when it was running, although I didn't see much of it at all tbh... it's hard to find any fault with the show.

Frasier would have to be second on the list for me.. very witty humour, and just like Seinfeld, perfect casting across the board.

Peep Show (UK) "two very different, dysfunctional friends who share a flat in Croydon, London. Mark is a socially awkward and despondent loan manager, while Jeremy is an irresponsible slacker and unemployed musician who lives in Mark's spare room". Super funny English wit.. David Mitchell and Robert Webb have such good chemistry

Trophy Points
I was only thinking about The Nanny the other day.... correct me if I'm wrong but was The Nanny having an affair with Mr Sheffield behind CC's back?

Wahesh

Trophy Points
I was only thinking about The Nanny the other day.... correct me if I'm wrong but was The Nanny having an affair with Mr Sheffield behind CC's back?
See I only ever watched The Nanny and it's re-runs sporadically. I think that might have been the case, either that or CC was into him.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
See I only ever watched The Nanny and it's re-runs sporadically. I think that might have been the case, either that or CC was into him.

Yeah I think CC was trying it on with him but he got with the Nanny.. I don't know if CC was like full in love with him or anything...

I was never really into that show but I can appreciate that it was a good show.. the butler was funny, Niles

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Yeah I think CC was trying it on with him but he got with the Nanny.. I don't know if CC was like full in love with him or anything...

I was never really into that show but I can appreciate that it was a good show.. the butler was funny, Niles
Yep I think how it worked is that CC was into him because he was available. Niles liked the Nanny because she brought warmth to the family after the death of the kids mother. As a result he tried to continuously undermine CC for the benefit of the family.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
From Fandom

"she is Maxwell's business partner who harbors unrequited feelings for him. For most of the series, C.C. also serves as Fran's rival for Maxwell's affections, as well as maintaining a heated rivalry with Niles the butler. By the series' end, however, she realizes her feelings for Niles and marries him, and is revealed to be pregnant with their first child".

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Another show I didn't mind, but it was a bit over the top, was King of Queens.. they just push a few things over the limit of being funny but otherwise it was pretty fun to watch..

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Another show I didn't mind, but it was a bit over the top, was King of Queens.. they just push a few things over the limit of being funny but otherwise it was pretty fun to watch..
KOQ was pretty funny. I loved the episode that had the gynecologist in it. It was the guy who was in Beverly Hills Cop franchise.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
KOQ was pretty funny. I loved the episode that had the gynecologist in it. It was the guy who was in Beverly Hills Cop franchise.

I don't think I've seen that episode.. I haven't watched a lot of the show, but I liked the episode that featured Raymond, although there may have been more than one

Trophy Points
From Fandom

"she is Maxwell's business partner who harbors unrequited feelings for him. For most of the series, C.C. also serves as Fran's rival for Maxwell's affections, as well as maintaining a heated rivalry with Niles the butler. By the series' end, however, she realizes her feelings for Niles and marries him, and is revealed to be pregnant with their first child".
Wow... I got that all kinds of wrong LOL.

Trophy Points
Any of you watched much of Disenchantment? @Wahesh and @K E I'm guessing maybe you guys and @Bad Billy ?

It's by the creators of Simpsons and Futurama and on Netflix. Funny as hell I'm finding it, with Elfo a frigging crackup..

Lady: "Help me... I'm Drowning!!"
Elfo: *waving* "Hi I'm Elfo" *walks off*

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Any of you watched much of Disenchantment? @Wahesh and @K E I'm guessing maybe you guys and @Bad Billy ?

It's by the creators of Simpsons and Futurama and on Netflix. Funny as hell I'm finding it, with Elfo a frigging crackup..

Lady: "Help me... I'm Drowning!!"
Elfo: *waving* "Hi I'm Elfo" *walks off*
I’ve seen it advertised but haven’t really had a chance to watch it yet. In fact I’ve even missed out on the entire new season of The Simpsons.

Is the wit and comedy the same or different?

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Another decent show was the US version of The Office. It was a bit over the top most of the time but I loved the pranks Jim would pull on Dwight :LOL:

Trophy Points
Currently watching Ratched on Netflix.

Ryan Murphy really knows how to create a series with twists and turns.

I’ve seen it advertised but haven’t really had a chance to watch it yet. In fact I’ve even missed out on the entire new season of The Simpsons.

Is the wit and comedy the same or different?
It's adult orientated comedy. Really witty but definitely not for kids.

Another decent show was the US version of The Office. It was a bit over the top most of the time but I loved the pranks Jim would pull on Dwight :LOL:
Funniest scene in the entire US version for me is Dwight's CPR dummy / Silence of the Lambs skit. Every Damn Time it gets me.