• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

NRLW / Tarsha Gale Maroons defeat Blues in controversial finish to claim back-to-back titles [NRLW]

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/womens...-stadium/3041964b-bb86-447c-9413-9fd2714fa72b

A controversial finish has resulted in the Queensland Maroons claiming back-to-back Women's State of Origin titles.

In wet and slippery conditions at Sunshine Coast Stadium tonight, both sides had notched one try apiece before a penalty goal in the shadows of full-time handed the Maroons an 8-6 win.

Blues prop Filomina Hanisi was penalised for a leg pull on Chelsea Lenarduzzi in the play-the-ball with 30 seconds remaining the clock, which handed the Maroons a shot at goal from directly in front.

Lauren Brown then made no mistake for the Maroons, knocking through the penalty goal from 10 metres out.

After such a tight 70 minutes, the penalty against the Blues left Nine's commentary team puzzled, with Parramatta Eels great Peter Sterling stunned by referee Belinda Sharpe awarding a penalty that he thought had been ignored all game long.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F6955108c-b7a7-44ca-aefc-a045ed6c89e4

"You can't believe it," commentator Mat Thompson told Nine.

Sterling added: "What a shame. Kezie Apps' face says it all.

"I've got to say, as harsh as I thought the call against Queensland in the no-try (was), I think this (is) really tough as well considering what we've seen around the play-the-ball all game.

"That doesn't look a whole lot different to incidents that had been let go."

Blues star centre Jessica Sergis admitted the ending tonight was a tough way to go down, but gave full credit to Queensland.

"It is [a heartbreaking way to lose], especially when there is 30 seconds left and they win with a kick to go, but that's footy," Sergis told Nine after the match.

"Origin are those games you want to win and you give it your all. It was one of the fastest games I had played in a really long time.

"A few injuries really hurt us, but Queensland were too strong this year.

"We will have to wait another 12 months."

Tonight's match started with the Blues scoring in the opening four minutes through Isabelle Kelly before the Maroons hit back midway in the first half when Destiny Brill produced a stunning solo effort out of dummy-half.

Brill's try handed the Maroons a two-point lead at half-time, which was quickly erased when Queensland were penalised in front of goal during the 52nd-minute as Maddie Studdon levelled the game at 6-6.

Then with seven minutes remaining, Queensland fullback Tamika Upton appeared to give the Maroons the lead before the bunker stepped in on the original decision of try.

Upton's try was taken away after the bunker deemed there to be an obstruction by Julia Robinson in the lead-up.

Meanwhile, Maroons back-rower Tazmin Gray was awarded the Nellie Doherty Medal for player of the match.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F1fd00bab-eaee-4a70-beee-4d8639190de8

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
By the letter of the law it is a penalty, but I guess it's just frustrating when the ref is super lenient all game till the last 5 minutes

NSW had their chances but their attack was super clunky.. the difference for me is that QLD pick a lot of really big boppers who are just too hard to tackle and it was the same deal last year.. NSW need to start taking a different thought process into their selections.

Trophy Points
Until Harvey Normans Womans Comp really gains traction, the talent pool is always going to be pretty shallow for female SOO players.