• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News PARRA-DISE! Eels book GF spot after stunning comeback as brave Cowboys finally fall

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

The Eels have beaten the Cowboys 24-20 in a stunning comeback win to be the first team through to the 2022 Grand Final after an epic preliminary final at Queensland Country Bank Stadium.

The Eels trailed 20-12 in the second half before scoring two late tries to Reagan Campbell-Gillard and Maika Sivo to ice a memorable win.

Campbell-Gillard was exceptional with 130 metres and two barnstorming tries, while Shaun Lane was a workhorse and came up with some stunning defensive plays and notched 129 metres and a try assist to be one of the Eels’ best.

The Eels scored first through a controversial try to Will Penisini after Mitchell Moses appeared to throw a forward pass in the build-up in a contentious call.

Reuben Cotter charged over from close range to get the Cowboys back to level after a barnstorming run to the line.

Jason Taumalolo was sent to the sin bin for a shoulder to the head of Isaiah Papali’i, which saw the Eels forward go off for a HIA and the Cowboys skipper may face a suspension.

Campbell-Gillard charged over from close range for his first try to see the Eels retake the lead.

Luciano Leilua barged over, despite Moses complaining of being held back in the ruck to keep the Cowboys in touch.

Niukore was penalised for a ruck infringement allowing Valentine Holmes to lock up the scores at 12-12 at halftime with a long-range penalty.

Papali’i was penalised for raking the ball out in a tackle on Taumalolo to give Holmes the chance to give the Cowboys the lead after the break.

Holmes then produced a freak pass for Murray Taulagi to dive over in the corner to extend the Cowboys’ lead.

However, Campbell-Gillard charged through some flimsy defence to secure his double and draw the Eels to within two heading into the final quarter.

Shaun Lane produced a similar pass to Moses in the first half to put Maika Sivo over to give the Eels the lead after a stunning seven-minute blitz.

Kyle Feldt nearly scored in the corner, which would have given Holmes a kick for the win, but replays showed he put his foot out and the try was taken off him in agonising scenes for Cowboys fans.

The Cowboys threw everything but the kitchen sink at the Eels in the final 10 minutes, but the Eels’ stoic defence held firm to put them in their first grand final since 2009 after a brave performance for the ages.

Trophy Points
Taumalolo looking at 3-4 weeks depending on his plea. Honestly I thought it was a pretty soft penalty.

4 Bulldogs / Ex Bulldogs in the game.

Simonssen, Lane, Kikau, Mahoney.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Taumalolo looking at 3-4 weeks depending on his plea. Honestly I thought it was a pretty soft penalty.

4 Bulldogs / Ex Bulldogs in the game.

Simonssen, Lane, Kikau, Mahoney.

Yeah I suppose but NRL really come down hard on anything that involves a players head, and it's more to do with covering their asses.

Gotta love Mahoney in defence and cover.. bloke gives everything. Lane was huge in that second half. I never knew Simonssen was part of our system at any stage,, Parra fans were worried about him but I thought he played really well.

Trophy Points
Yeah I suppose but NRL really come down hard on anything that involves a players head, and it's more to do with covering their asses.

Gotta love Mahoney in defence and cover.. bloke gives everything. Lane was huge in that second half. I never knew Simonssen was part of our system at any stage,, Parra fans were worried about him but I thought he played really well.
Yeah played SG Ball and Flegg for us. Was a handy player, but never really looked like a superstar coming through.