• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

TDS 2021 Season Summary

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Another season done and dusted, obviously more cons than pros, but let's hear everybody's opinions on the season that was and how things look for the Canterbury Bulldogs going forward.

Pros: Luke Thompson has showed us that he is going to be another British weapon. Jack Hetherington got better as the season went on and will only continue to improve. I thought Ava was pretty solid given his age and the fact he was returning from the Super League. Averillo had some good moments considering he was thrown into the deep end/ had musical chairs halves partners. Schoupp got better as the year went on.

The biggest Pro is how we finished the season, went from being pumped 66-0 by Manly, to playing a close match, and also pumping the Tigers in a really good team performance, the best of the season.

Cons: once again we went into the season looking less fit than the other teams, something I'm sure Trent will fix up for '22. Getting the spoon. Adam Elliott.

The future: We've got some real quality coming on board and key positions at that. Obviously hooker is still a question mark but our options might do better playing behind a pack that goes forward... Not that he will be at the club, but to emphasise the point I thought even Katoa had a decent game yesterday playing behind a pack that went forward. Our younger players will get another pre season in and will also benefit from the experience coming on board. If the team click early, I see no reason why the Dogs won't play finals footy in '22.

Last edited:
Trophy Points
PROS:
  • We can't get any worse than 16th, and the season is over.
  • Several players like Averillo, Schoupp, Wakeham, Topine, BBO and Patolo who probably were fringe ready for NRL, have had a season (albeit a shit one) to experience what NRL is like, so no nerves next year.
  • Recruitment looks exciting for next year.
  • A good amount of the team has had mateship this year and experienced heartache. They'll want to play with heart for each other and the jersey.
  • FINALLY got the management side of the Dogs sorted with reliable and responsible people who genuinely care for the club.
  • Sponsors lining up to be involved with the club.

CONS:
  • Several stupid incidents with players.
  • Covid causing disruptions for junior grades.
  • Making some small recruitment mistakes.
  • Failing to cement a halves combination.
  • Fitness seems a problem still, as does injury management.

THE FUTURE:
  • We have to hit the ground running next year.
  • We need to sort out hooker position straight away.
  • With no injuries and the team on paper, there is no reason we cannot be a decent threat next year.
  • Hopefully we see Jackson return to his prime form again.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
well looks at this guys just came in as on dogs official site

"
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have continued to build out their Top 30 squad for next year with the signing of hooker Josh Cook for the next two seasons.

The 22 year-old has been an understudy to his namesake Damien at the Rabbitohs, although he has yet to make his NRL debut.

check out the dogs site its fresh out of the club today

Looks like we have finally got ourselves a new hooker for next season fingers crossed they have the right guy this time

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
on another note what has happened to Elliott? he was supposed to have fronted the board yesterday but nothings come out of the club about him yet . Perhaps the board is thinking that by next season us supporters will have forgotten about the incident and all will be well again for him. hmm

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
well looks at this guys just came in as on dogs official site

"
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have continued to build out their Top 30 squad for next year with the signing of hooker Josh Cook for the next two seasons.

The 22 year-old has been an understudy to his namesake Damien at the Rabbitohs, although he has yet to make his NRL debut.

check out the dogs site its fresh out of the club today

Looks like we have finally got ourselves a new hooker for next season fingers crossed they have the right guy this time

I thought he signed a few weeks ago but maybe they were still negotiating terms. As I said in my comment I think all our 9 options will have a chance to show what they can do behind a pack that goes forward not backwards.

on another note what has happened to Elliott? he was supposed to have fronted the board yesterday but nothings come out of the club about him yet . Perhaps the board is thinking that by next season us supporters will have forgotten about the incident and all will be well again for him. hmm

You could be onto something.. I get the sense he's liked around the club and if it weren't for his antics I could see it, but the line should have been drawn at the Lichaa incident, now it's just a joke.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I thought he signed a few weeks ago but maybe they were still negotiating terms. As I said in my comment I think all our 9 options will have a chance to show what they can do behind a pack that goes forward not backwards.

You could be onto something.. I get the sense he's liked around the club and if it weren't for his antics I could see it, but the line should have been drawn at the Lichaa incident, now it's just a joke.
Wonder if our dud halfback will get the chance to show what he can do with a pack that goes forwards not backwards Can't see that happening as im sure Burton will be there with averillo now. Averillo is miles better than the other half we have so i doubt they would drop him for mr ex easts average.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Me thinks we shall have of of the best spines in all the clubs next year no longer will our team be spineless

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Update Daily telegraph reports this morning the following
Elliott’s $1m last-ditch effort to save Dogs career

Adam Elliott’s NRL career is hanging by a thread after a 40-minute meeting with Canterbury officials following his latest off-field indiscretion.

22 hours ago — Adam Elliott has submitted his final defence to remain a Bulldog. ... It is expected a decision will happen in the next 72 hours

So I guess the club will make an announcement by Saturday.

Trophy Points
I think Flanno will get a chance in the trials and we will try and play a few this year. If he can't click in the trials with Burton, someone else will take his place.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I would like to see Wakeham be a bit more dominant.. he has a bit of aggression in defence but just plays way too conservatively in attack for mine... I'd like to see him play a game with more urgency because he has skill. Flannel I think will play closer to where he was at when he was at Easts. Jake will really benefit playing along side Burton as Matt will be the main man, allowing Jake just to do his thing

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Update Daily telegraph reports this morning the following
Elliott’s $1m last-ditch effort to save Dogs career

Adam Elliott’s NRL career is hanging by a thread after a 40-minute meeting with Canterbury officials following his latest off-field indiscretion.

22 hours ago — Adam Elliott has submitted his final defence to remain a Bulldog. ... It is expected a decision will happen in the next 72 hours

So I guess the club will make an announcement by Saturday.

If Elliott can get a gig elsewhere which I'm sure he will then I would be happy to see him go.. I think he gets a bit of extra sympathy because of his family situation but fmd if he stays he will not want to even take a shit wrong because he will be gone for any minor incident.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I think Flanno will get a chance in the trials and we will try and play a few this year. If he can't click in the trials with Burton, someone else will take his place.
So where exactly does that put Averillo if Flanagan goes in halves with Burton? We seem to sacrifice good players to fit Flanagan in all the time as if it justifies management making a balls up by signing him.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I see the dogs club awards are on their official site but they missed one important one.
"The idiot dog act of the year" No prizes for guessing who got that one.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
So where exactly does that put Averillo if Flanagan goes in halves with Burton? We seem to sacrifice good players to fit Flanagan in all the time as if it justifies management making a balls up by signing him.

To be fair I would have liked to have seen how Flannel would have gone if he was there for the full season but I get the sense that he's on the bad side because even Wakeham was getting the nod over him by the end of the season. Trent seems to like Jake and I will not be surprised if it's Burton/Averillo in the halves come round 1

Trophy Points
Maybe play him in a similar role that Bellamy is playing Hynes/Meaney in.

I see the dogs club awards are on their official site but they missed one important one.
"The idiot dog act of the year" No prizes for guessing who got that one.
"Shag of the Year"

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Hope he can sort something out for himself but he left the club no choice.. needs to seriously take a look at himself or he will continue to spiral

Trophy Points
Elliot gone! Season summarised 😁
Round 7 - Beat the Sharks (pashing in the dunny about to get fucked).
Round 16 - Belted by Manly 66-0 (caught by security shirtless in the shitter - booted out and in heaps of shit).
Round 25 - Beat the Tigers (Elliott is sacked).

That's about it :D

Hope he can sort something out for himself but he left the club no choice.. needs to seriously take a look at himself or he will continue to spiral
He had more than enough chances (like Dugan). sooner or later you have to cut them loose before they cost you a sponsor.