• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Technology

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Wahesh

Beast by Name, Beast by Nature
Trophy Points
Does anyone have any technology things they like to experiment with or share?

I'm getting one of these in a few weeks... looks like it'll help around the house a fair bit :D

Trophy Points
With modern Wifi gear you shouldn't need repeaters unless you are in a massive house, or it's double brick.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
Signal strength, test it in the different rooms.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
With modern Wifi gear you shouldn't need repeaters unless you are in a massive house, or it's double brick.
I've got the NBN but the signal strength for NBN speed is a bit weak in my room so it's more or less about strengthening that. I'm hoping it will reduce the amount of times my internet connection cuts out in the middle of a meeting lol.

BomberBurton

Trophy Points
A WiFi repeater only repeats the signal going into it.
So if it picks up a signal of 60% of maximum, it will transmit that.
But worse new to come, most are dual channel, so will divide that 60% into 30% 2.4g and 30% 5g, so you end up with only 30% of what's initially transmitted.
Look into the base position and optimise that as much as you can first and if you can, run an ethernet cable to a repeater, you will have a much stronger repeater signal.

Trophy Points
You could also go powerline adaptors. They used to be a good option for a wired connection.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
You could also go powerline adaptors. They used to be a good option for a wired connection.
The problem with those adapters is that the modem and computer need to be on the same circuit. My home has 4 different circuits and the modem and my PC are on different ones.

Trophy Points
The problem with those adapters is that the modem and computer need to be on the same circuit. My home has 4 different circuits and the modem and my PC are on different ones.
Bummer ... I thought they just had to be on the same circuit (e.g house).

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Plenty of people who live in old apartments have that advantage as they are all like that, but with newer houses they have separate circuits just to minimise damage if there are blackouts, short-circuits or damage done to fuses. In an ideal world though that wouldn't be an issue.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Ok so it arrived and I set it up yesterday. The potential black zone in my house has now been given a big boost and I receive much faster and more stable connection.

It's a pass :)

Trophy Points
Ok so it arrived and I set it up yesterday. The potential black zone in my house has now been given a big boost and I receive much faster and more stable connection.

It's a pass :)
Good stuff mate :) Gotta love a solid technology win :)

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Notice how since Steve Jobs passed that there has been no real innovation? seriously all Apple (and the other companies) seem to do these days is update their camera and phone colour options. It will be interesting so see what the next "big thing" is.. hopefully something actually useful, not like the "Metaverse".

Trophy Points
Notice how since Steve Jobs passed that there has been no real innovation? seriously all Apple (and the other companies) seem to do these days is update their camera and phone colour options. It will be interesting so see what the next "big thing" is.. hopefully something actually useful, not like the "Metaverse".
Apple are well known to deliberately cripple their devices, or at least hold them back so that they can showcase something on the "next" version.

That said my old HTC M8 does all I need it to do, compared to modern mobile phones.

What do I miss out on? Better camera? 5G network access? Slightly more storage?

Literally that's about it.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Apple are well known to deliberately cripple their devices, or at least hold them back so that they can showcase something on the "next" version.

That said my old HTC M8 does all I need it to do, compared to modern mobile phones.

What do I miss out on? Better camera? 5G network access? Slightly more storage?

Literally that's about it.

As much as I loathe some of the things Google do, they are the best in the business for user experience when it comes to mobile in my opinion.. Obviously features vary and can be a sales point but for the regular user I think Android is better and also more versatile eg not as strict with the Play Store.

BomberBurton

Trophy Points
Never owned an Apple device and doubt I ever will, as I do NOT support their business practices.
Deliberately preventing repair/replacement of damaged components is a pathetic business practice that demonstrates they've poor financial management and are not comfortable in their userbase freely returning to them for their next device.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
I was an android user but switched over to Apple to see what the fuss was about. I've only ever updated my contract once since then to get a newer version of the iPhone I had, but decided to stick with them as setting up the phone was easy as it copies data on your old phone to your newer one and you're good to go. Really I'm easy with either Android or Apple but for now I'm with Apple. I might be with Android next time my contract is up for renewal. Apples and Oranges (punt not intended).

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
For me what Android have done well is made an OS that is as simple as it gets and can be used by anybody, including grandma. When it comes to computers though I've always preferred Apple for work, and I also find their computers to be very durable and they have good lifespans.. I've had a lot of Windows computers that have just carked it early.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Just when I was defending Apple I upgrade OS now Xampp isn't working... zzz
Well my iPad isn't something I can use anymore. It was good for about 5 years then just started lagging - a lot. Now it's just sitting in my desk drawer turned off. The iPhone on the other hand works well and like Android I find the simple interface pretty user friendly. I haven't used Apple computers in a long time though so if I'm to switch now it will take some getting used to.

I remember when I was in college around 2003 they had the iMacs setup in the cafeteria, a transparent pink and teal one that anyone could use. They were hooked up with internet etc... and these are the ones they had the CPU built into the monitor.

These days, they would be slow as a slug, but given their creative/artistic look, they are considered technology antiques and can go for quite a bit of money if in mint condition.

1649909498884.png

1649909672214.png