• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Technology

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
OMG I’ve noticed that too lol. They are usually very helpful though, I’ll give them that.

Haha. It used to frustrate me because I couldn't understand them but I figured fuck it, if the info is right all I need to do is follow what they're doing.. I learn better by prac anyway.

Wahesh

Beast by Name, Beast by Nature
Trophy Points

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Wow, that's amazing dude. I actually don't know how on Earth Yahoo managed to overtake Google in 2008 - that's very weird. You also see the Facebook cool-off period in 2016 lol.

Yeah that is interesting. Probably when everyone started freaking out about Google's tracking etc lol.

2016 must have seen a mass liberal exodus of Facebook.

I got a bit sad seeing our guy Geocities drop out

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Yeah that is interesting. Probably when everyone started freaking out about Google's tracking etc lol.

2016 must have seen a mass liberal exodus of Facebook.

I got a bit sad seeing our guy Geocities drop out
Yeah I think what happened with Facebook was the rise of Instagram - ironically which is owned by Facebook lol.

Geocities was an awesome free website host, and I used it myself when studying Web Design back in my college days. I think Japan was the last country to maintain access to it but that ceased about 3 years ago. I remember I tried to access it from here but I couldn't find a reliable Japanese proxy lol.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Yeah I think what happened with Facebook was the rise of Instagram - ironically which is owned by Facebook lol.

Geocities was an awesome free website host, and I used it myself when studying Web Design back in my college days. I think Japan was the last country to maintain access to it but that ceased about 3 years ago. I remember I tried to access it from here but I couldn't find a reliable Japanese proxy lol.

Ah yep.. I also recall a lot of the younger crowd defecting to SnapChat. I think a fair few younger people still use Messenger but Facebook itself is definitely on the decline.

Yeah right, I didn't know that.. and upon Googling it you're spot on.. I'll have to get on an archive site later and see what it looked like in 2019

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Ah yep.. I also recall a lot of the younger crowd defecting to SnapChat. I think a fair few younger people still use Messenger but Facebook itself is definitely on the decline.

Yeah right, I didn't know that.. and upon Googling it you're spot on.. I'll have to get on an archive site later and see what it looked like in 2019
Yep that too. The things that keep Facebook pumping are the ads (they get plenty of it) - ads from Instagram too - and the marketplace which is like a mini eBay. I’m not sure if the FB make any profit from the marketplace sellers though.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Yep that too. The things that keep Facebook pumping are the ads (they get plenty of it) - ads from Instagram too - and the marketplace which is like a mini eBay. I’m not sure if the FB make any profit from the marketplace sellers though.

Nah I don't think they do hey, well, I haven't looked at it thoroughly but the only setup I'm aware of is that the products sync from your website, and Facebook redirects you to the website product page.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
You can still build OG websites with Angelfire lol. I might make one when I can be bothered ....so probably never.

I really want to find more of my old Geocities and Angelfire websites on Wayback, but I'm having trouble remembering the page names.

https://www.angelfire.lycos.com/

Wahesh

Trophy Points
You can still build OG websites with Angelfire lol. I might make one when I can be bothered ....so probably never.

I really want to find more of my old Geocities and Angelfire websites on Wayback, but I'm having trouble remembering the page names.

I remember back when I was studying my diploma of website design, I created a friendpages account as a testing platform to apply things we learned back then such as HTML and Javascript effects and it was pretty cool.

Back then, Google wasn't the hub that it is now and finding everything wasn't as easy.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I remember back when I was studying my diploma of website design, I created a friendpages account as a testing platform to apply things we learned back then such as HTML and Javascript effects and it was pretty cool.

Back then, Google wasn't the hub that it is now and finding everything wasn't as easy.

I mostly used Friendpages to post my art, it wasn't till I started using Geocities that I started working with HTML via Frontpage of all programs. I used to sit up til all hours making shitty websites lol. I never got into JavaScript or CSS though, just straight raw HTML combine with Geocities' css.

I wouldn't even remember where I was learning from.. I know Yahoo was probably around, so maybe there.. or just info from other users. Such fun times. It's a shame how corporate all the big companies are now.. MySpace was just about the last big site that offered quite a bit of creative freedom.

Trophy Points

Some websites out there still look like they were made in it LOL.

I saw one for a professional IT company the other day, and half the site was still that Lopen Irsum or whatever its called.

I'm like "errr thats unprofessional and a half".

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Some websites out there still look like they were made in it LOL.

I saw one for a professional IT company the other day, and half the site was still that Lopen Irsum or whatever its called.

I'm like "errr thats unprofessional and a half".

Imagine if WordPress didn't exist, or even SquareSpace and Wix.. basically anything that offers templates. Mumbai specials in particular would be a sight to behold.

I wouldn't even upload my own website that nobody sees with Lorem Ipsum placeholders lol.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
I mostly used Friendpages to post my art, it wasn't till I started using Geocities that I started working with HTML via Frontpage of all programs. I used to sit up til all hours making shitty websites lol. I never got into JavaScript or CSS though, just straight raw HTML combine with Geocities' css.

I wouldn't even remember where I was learning from.. I know Yahoo was probably around, so maybe there.. or just info from other users. Such fun times. It's a shame how corporate all the big companies are now.. MySpace was just about the last big site that offered quite a bit of creative freedom.
That's true. I have an account these days with Deviant Art, however I hardly touch it. For some reason it's a site that's blocked at work, yet sites like onlyfans are accessible (go figure lol). Anyway I mainly like DA for viewing the creative work of others more so than anything else.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
That's true. I have an account these days with Deviant Art, however I hardly touch it. For some reason it's a site that's blocked at work, yet sites like onlyfans are accessible (go figure lol). Anyway I mainly like DA for viewing the creative work of others more so than anything else.

Maybe the IT person hasn't updates the blocked sites list lol OnlyFans isn't all that old.. I set up a new account on DA not long ago but realised they were doing the whole "they/them" thing.. I don't even know what that's all about but I'm like yeeaa I'm out.

Trophy Points
Well now you know what the bigwigs get up to online LOL.

DA does have some nudity and the like on there. That might be why its blocked.

That said theres also other reall good artwork on there. I bought some cool artwork off there many moons ago.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Chrome did an update and it's a bit buggy.. anybody experiencing this? on desktop..

the only thing that I can remember at the moment is when I click the bookmarks tab I only see the default menu items, but not my folders.. it's ok when I first load up Chrome but it starts to happen after a while.

Trophy Points
Can't say I've noticed any issues and I'm running most up to date Chrome and Edge.

Chrome: Version 105.0.5195.127 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Edge: Version 105.0.1343.50 (Official build) (64-bit)

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Can't say I've noticed any issues and I'm running most up to date Chrome and Edge.

Chrome: Version 105.0.5195.127 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Edge: Version 105.0.1343.50 (Official build) (64-bit)

Could be a ram issue? I'm not really an expert in that department.. But I realised I'm also having issues on Facebook, such as links (timeline) not being clickable, bar right click > open in new tab

Trophy Points
Have you tried blasting away your cache and resetting your browser settings?

Maybe something changed regarding like script or java blocking and has neutered Chrome.