• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

The Bulldogs are reportedly set to sign Panthers star Viliame Kikau in another massive coup

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points

Panthers left fuming as leaked photo confirms Gus and Dogs shock $3.2m raid​

The Bulldogs have landed another recruitment coup, securing the prized signature of Panthers star Viliame Kikau from 2023.

The Bulldogs have beaten out the Cowboys and St George Illawarra to secure one of NRL’s best edge forwards on a four-year deal.

The contract is worth around $800,000 per season and eclipsed out the Dragons’ three-year offer, according to The Daily Telegraph.

But Dogs are fuming after a photo of Kikau, coach Trent Barrett and Canterbury general manager Phil Gould all wearing the club’s famous blue and white was leaked on Friday.

The Bulldogs have launched an investigation to determine who could have taken a screenshot from a club security camera, according to Nine’s Danny Weidler.

And they’re not the only ones seeing red. According to Michael Chammas from Nine Newspapers, Panthers officials are not impressed Kikau posed up ahead of the club’s parade.

Penrith officials were confident they’d keep the 26-year-old who has a close relation with Bulldogs coach and former Panthers assistant Barrett.

Viliame Kikau poses in Bulldogs kit with coach Trent Barrett.

Viliame Kikau poses in Bulldogs kit with coach Trent Barrett.Source: Getty Images

The Dogs collected the wooden spoon this year in Barrett’s first season at the helm but he went to work overhauling the roster.

He’s added Matt Burton, Brent Naden, Josh Addo-Carr, Matt Dufty, Paul Vaughan, Tevita Pangai Jr, Josh Cook, John Asiata, Max King and Braidon Burns for the 2022 season.

They are also in the mix to sign Eels hooker Reed Mahoney and are quickly building one of the most star-studded squads in the NRL.

Kikau has played in the past two grand finals for Penrith, winning this year, and has made 98 appearances for the club since debuting in 2017.

Kikau has played 11 Test matches for Fiji and is one of the most exciting players in the game, but there’s a silver lining for the premiers.

It means Penrith now likely have the cash to retain hooker Api Koroisau who is currently testing his value on the open market.

The No. 9 - who made his Blues debut this year - was reportedly told he couldn’t be extended past next season but that was before the latest Kikau development.

The Panthers were expected to retain Kikau, who has developed into one of the most talented forwards in the competition.

“We’re very confident that we will be able to come to an agreement with his management and have him on the roster for another three or four years as well,” Panthers chief executive Brian Fletcher said in September.

“Every indication is that he’ll be staying.

“A lot of players like to take a little bit of a discount to play with a side that’s going well, so I think he comes under that category.”

Trophy Points
I'm not 100% sold on this signing. When he's on he's one of the best in the game, however in recent seasons he's had injuries and mistakes creeping into his game.

That said, Hetho on one side, Kikau on another, with TPJ at lock.. farkn hell that's decent.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
The pricetag might be an issue but geez he was a beast in the grand final. I think that will give him so much confidence to get over any issues that were creeping into his game

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
So what do you guys think is the story here? An "accidental leak" to show other potential recruits that Kikau will also be at the club?

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
finally we are bouncing back with proper signings !!
finally we are signing ball distributors all over the park the backs are going to have a field day
So what do you guys think is the story here? An "accidental leak" to show other potential recruits that Kikau will also be at the club?
I'm sure he had an accidental leak he was just so excited to be joining the dogs . Seriously I think you are right Howard. We are saying to all the league boys who have potential "start knocking on our door boys cos we are sure going to be a force hereon"

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I watched channel 7 news tonight that showed a bus with the premiers parading through the Penrith streets to say ty to all their supporters. Interesting, unless I am going blind, when the players all got off the bus I couldnt see Kikau anywhere. Anyone know anything about why he was not on the bus unless..... Penrith are pissed off with his signing with the dogs for 2023 and are going to release him one year earlier from his contract. Does anyone know about this as there are already a few rumours flying that he may be released from Penrith before next season starts.

boxer

THE BOSS
Trophy Points
I watched channel 7 news tonight that showed a bus with the premiers parading through the Penrith streets to say ty to all their supporters. Interesting, unless I am going blind, when the players all got off the bus I couldnt see Kikau anywhere. Anyone know anything about why he was not on the bus unless..... Penrith are pissed off with his signing with the dogs for 2023 and are going to release him one year earlier from his contract. Does anyone know about this as there are already a few rumours flying that he may be released from Penrith before next season starts.
Penrith won’t release him.
They are but hurt from the dogs taking their players.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I think he showed his worth in the grand final this year as well, if Penrith are to go back 2 back another effort like that will be very helpful

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Geez he's looked impressive tonight, playing with a lot of intent.. this will be a great signing

Trophy Points
I didn't see any of the game but saw in the highlights he had his hand in 2 tries.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I didn't see any of the game but saw in the highlights he had his hand in 2 tries.

He pretty much played with the same intent that we saw from him in the gf.. racing in on every tackle and running full steam ahead with each carry. And yeah some nice offloads as well. It was a long long night for poor Harper and Saab

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Was watching an episode of "The Fan" and Keary had Kikau as second toughest to tackle behind Taumalolo. I really love the way Viliame has developed over the last couple of seasons as he used to get ripped on for being inconsistent where as now he's at you all game on both sides of the ball. Great signing.

Trophy Points
Gees I hope he carries Panthers form to us. He's been a nightmare this year for opposition.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Gees I hope he carries Panthers form to us. He's been a nightmare this year for opposition.
that is always the worry apart from JAC and glimpses of Burton we have yet to see the form others had but havent shown in our colours yet

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I think TPJ has been good but we need our strike players shadowing him for those offloads.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
in my opinion neither Naden or Okunbor are first grade standard naden may come good again okunbor has never been good from the start, in size he should be able to tear them apart but has nothing to show. Naden has caught the "play your worse games under the dogs" syndrome only burton and JAC can stand above that standard. im still not sure our centres are attacking well enough to do any sort of damage to other teams but then again at the dogs our hooker only looks for forwards to throw the ball to in flat footed positions. with our piss weak attack we cant afford to cough up that much ball in a game. We were up against a raiders outfit that hasnt hit form yet and yet we still manage to find yet another way to lose. every team in this comp is capable of laying a cricket score on the dogs at any given time.