• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

The Coaching Megathread

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
This is not a thread to bag out Barrett because certain tossers on TK as well as salty Manly threads on Reddit are doing a good enough job of that. For mine I think Baz was set up to fail, and that's no disrespect to Pay because his situation wasn't great either. I'm not gonna sit here and act like I haven't called for a new coach myself but for me I think we needed to sign an experienced coach when Pay was signed.. coaching is hard enough in the NRL and it is always going to be harder for inexperienced coaches with inexperienced squads.

That being said, this is a thread to discuss the future and all the nonsense speculation. There's obviously a lot of speculation around players potentially wanting to break contract this and that but I mean coaches get sacked almost every season so I don't see an issue there.

I'd love to hear what your thoughts are.. Mine are that the club have to throw everything at Flanno sr.. we can't gamble on an inexperienced coach or a super league coach. Out of all the available successful coaches Shane Flanagan is the one who instilled a culture at a club that is still in full effect today, but also left on a good note with his players. When listening to his commentary you can tell he has a high iq for coaching and what's evident is that he knows how to simplify things which is why I believe individuals thrive under him, and it's something we've struggled with because our spine look like they're just trying to hard to force things.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Oh and another small rumour is that Laundy will walk away due to their relationship with Baz, which I can't see happening given I don't think they'd want their brand associated with losing all the time.

Trophy Points
Pay instilled a losing culture at the club. Barrett as an inexperienced coach thought he could turn that around, and it hasn't happened (but rather continued).

This is where (and why) we need an experienced NRL coach to come in and grab the reins. A coach who has dealt with a similar scenario before and knows how to fire up the players and drop that losing mentality.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
Perfect opportunity for Bennet to come to the club until the end of the year and prove himself as The GOAT of coaches.
Probably be able to put your house upon it that he wouldn't though, as he is far from the greatest of all time, aren't you Skeletor?

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Pay instilled a losing culture at the club. Barrett as an inexperienced coach thought he could turn that around, and it hasn't happened (but rather continued).

This is where (and why) we need an experienced NRL coach to come in and grab the reins. A coach who has dealt with a similar scenario before and knows how to fire up the players and drop that losing mentality.

Deano just had too many rookies/inexperienced players at once.. the club really stuffed up by moving so many senior heads and not bringing any experience in.

Trophy Points
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CELE-BRATE GOOD TIMES COME ON!!!!

Never stood a chance continuing with a new coach. Being puffed 20 minutes into a game is on him.

Naden gone, Ferris gone, and I reckon Sandercock and Furner will go in next few days.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CELE-BRATE GOOD TIMES COME ON!!!!

Never stood a chance continuing with a new coach. Being puffed 20 minutes into a game is on him.

Naden gone, Ferris gone, and I reckon Sandercock and Furner will go in next few days.

Ferris was with a wooden spoon team prior to arriving at Belmore so it probably wasn't the best option for Baz.

I really expected more from Naden but he gives off confidence player vibes.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I think it's the best option tbh it had to be somebody already involved with the club and it couldn't have been one of Barrett's staff. Sure things didn't work out at Wests but he's done some good things in his coaching career. Either way there's no pressure on him and if he can avoid the spoon then it's a really good effort.

BomberBurton

Trophy Points
If between him and Furner, Potter has more runs on the board.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
It's also good for the players to have a reset and move on from the previous situation.. Now there's less pressure on everybody for the remainder of the season.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
just read the news Ferris gone, Naden released and Potter interim head coach for rest of the season . The board is to be applauded for moving fast and lets hope that the assistant coaches have second thoughts about staying now . Total cleanout is the best way no half measures. Gives all us supporters a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. We cant expect miracles unless as Nathan says Harry joins us . Yet it gives us some hope for the future and not total despair for the rest of the season.
Good luck to Mick Potter a refreshing change is what is needed. Interesting with Naden released that frees up a spot in our 30 lineup and leaves it open for another player to be bought.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Those assistant coaches won't be held onto I don't think, and the fact Potter has been given the task of taking over supports that for me.. Baz needed more from his supporting cast as well as the players so nobody is in a position to complain.. Now that we know Naden was upset about not playing centre it seems as though his departure has nothing to do with what has occurred this week.

Yes that's a good point OWW and there are some good candidates for that spot in the top 30.

Trophy Points
Those assistant coaches won't be held onto I don't thin
I suspect the only "assistant" to survive this cleanout will be David Tangata-Toa (by his own choice if he wants to stay).

Sounds like Ferris was given the choice and decided it was best for him to fall on his sword.

Sandercock and Furner would be best to do the same given they are partially responsibly ONLY for assistant coaching.

Where DTT differs is he is coaching the NSW Cup side and working as a Pathways coach as well as first grade assistant.

Mick Potter was/is working with Mounties (and that contract ends at end of 2022 season (when our agreement with Mounties expires). I think he was also working as a pathways coach.

Maybe the idea is to see how he goes for 6 months and possibly give him the main gig?

with Naden released that frees up a spot in our 30 lineup and leaves it open for another player to be bought
Give the spot to young Kiraz. He looked hungry in the one game he had.

Also we have Tui Katoa who is medically clear to play now, who showed promise a while back.

Then you have Creedence Toia as fullback.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I suspect the only "assistant" to survive this cleanout will be David Tangata-Toa (by his own choice if he wants to stay).

Sounds like Ferris was given the choice and decided it was best for him to fall on his sword.

Sandercock and Furner would be best to do the same given they are partially responsibly ONLY for assistant coaching.

Where DTT differs is he is coaching the NSW Cup side and working as a Pathways coach as well as first grade assistant.

Mick Potter was/is working with Mounties (and that contract ends at end of 2022 season (when our agreement with Mounties expires). I think he was also working as a pathways coach.

Maybe the idea is to see how he goes for 6 months and possibly give him the main gig?

Ahh right I wasn't aware he was coaching NSW cup so in that case I can't see him leaving.

Well the fact he's taken a team to a GF and a challenge cup allbeit Super League suggests Potter can get his teams up so it'll be interesting but I dare say they'll go all in on Shane Flanagan given everything that has happened and the fact they'll want somebody who has quality NRL experience.

Give the spot to young Kiraz. He looked hungry in the one game he had.

Also we have Tui Katoa who is medically clear to play now, who showed promise a while back.

Then you have Creedence Toia as fullback.

I thought Kiraz was allowed to play from this round but yeah he's definitely next in line. If we don't try Fox in the 1 Toia hopefully will get a crack.

BomberBurton

Trophy Points
Good chance to lock in Alomati from the rorters poaching him perhaps?
Topine, Schoupp in the 30?