• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

TV Docs The Documentary Thread

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Trophy Points
Hey @Howard Moon ,

You'd be interested in The Mind Explained on Netflix. 6 part series about the brain and various aspects of it such as "dreams, memory, anxiety, mindfulness, etc" Narrated by Emma Stone and about 20 minutes each episode (so its short/concise without dragging on).

I've watched the first 2 episodes (dreams and memories) and the info is pretty spot on!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Hey @Howard Moon ,

You'd be interested in The Mind Explained on Netflix. 6 part series about the brain and various aspects of it such as "dreams, memory, anxiety, mindfulness, etc" Narrated by Emma Stone and about 20 minutes each episode (so its short/concise without dragging on).

I've watched the first 2 episodes (dreams and memories) and the info is pretty spot on!

definitely sounds up my alley.. is it available anywhere else that you know of?

Wahesh

Beast by Name, Beast by Nature
Trophy Points
I reckon a lot of you guys would like this on Neflix:

It's about toys sure, but it's more about the business aspect of it and what inspired certain toys, and the road they took and basically a history lesson into how toys turned out the way they did. Everything including tv shows/movies that involved the toys is covered. It's also done in a funny and goofy way so it's quite enjoyable to watch.

The-Toys-That-Made-Us-DVD-2019-1-featured.jpg

Trophy Points
definitely sounds up my alley.. is it available anywhere else that you know of?
One episode is on Youtube as it was a colo between Vex and Netflix. You might find the others around somewhere (maybe Uncle Torrance).

I reckon a lot of you guys would like this on Neflix:

It's about toys sure, but it's more about the business aspect of it and what inspired certain toys, and the road they took and basically a history lesson into how toys turned out the way they did. Everything including tv shows/movies that involved the toys is covered. It's also done in a funny and goofy way so it's quite enjoyable to watch.

The-Toys-That-Made-Us-DVD-2019-1-featured.jpg

Will have to check this out :)

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points

"Ridin' the Dog" 1989 Greyhound Buses Documentary​

A complete version of a documentary about a Greyhound bus journey from Seattle to Chicago. Narrated by author and historian, Studs Terkel shown in 1989.

Wahesh

Trophy Points

"Ridin' the Dog" 1989 Greyhound Buses Documentary​

A complete version of a documentary about a Greyhound bus journey from Seattle to Chicago. Narrated by author and historian, Studs Terkel shown in 1989.

Interesting. I remember in 2017 there was a significant downpour in Brisbane which was impacting flights and we had 3 team members of ours up there. As a lot of planes were grounded, many people were willing to take the 10 hour bus trip down on the greyhound.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Interesting. I remember in 2017 there was a significant downpour in Brisbane which was impacting flights and we had 3 team members of ours up there. As a lot of planes were grounded, many people were willing to take the 10 hour bus trip down on the greyhound.

actually a really cool docco, has all interesting back stories of some of the riders etc.. I can imagine it would be pretty nostalgic for a lot of Americans.. it would be interesting to hear how the Greyhound in Australia compares to the American Greyhound, given that some of their trips go through multiple states and apparently it's pretty normal for their stoppages to 2 to 3 to even 4 hours longer than listed lol.. screw that..

I think I would need a fair amount of alcohol to travel on a bus for any longer than 6 hours

Wahesh

Trophy Points
actually a really cool docco, has all interesting back stories of some of the riders etc.. I can imagine it would be pretty nostalgic for a lot of Americans.. it would be interesting to hear how the Greyhound in Australia compares to the American Greyhound, given that some of their trips go through multiple states and apparently it's pretty normal for their stoppages to 2 to 3 to even 4 hours longer than listed lol.. screw that..

I think I would need a fair amount of alcohol to travel on a bus for any longer than 6 hours
Agreed mate. I needed a few scotches to get me from here to Dubai on an A380 flight back in 2009 lol.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Agreed mate. I needed a few scotches to get me from here to Dubai on an A380 flight back in 2009 lol.

haha oh yeah I always have a few when flying.. except for domestic when you're at the back of the plane and only get served once the entire trip

Wahesh

Trophy Points
haha oh yeah I always have a few when flying.. except for domestic when you're at the back of the plane and only get served once the entire trip
Gosh I hate those domestic flights. The food is crap and they charge you top dollar for it lol. The seats on domestic flights aren't that comfortable either.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Gosh I hate those domestic flights. The food is crap and they charge you top dollar for it lol. The seats on domestic flights aren't that comfortable either.

yea lol, at least they are generally not that long.. actually speaking of travel, I took the XPT about 5 yrs ago or so, first time since I was a kid... man those things are gross haha :LOL:

Wahesh

Trophy Points
yea lol, at least they are generally not that long.. actually speaking of travel, I took the XPT about 5 yrs ago or so, first time since I was a kid... man those things are gross haha :LOL:
Yeah I think all those country trains are lol. I caught one from Penrith about 2 years ago going to the city. Some bogan chick got on and a bogan guy got on after her. They knew each other and were talking to each other the entire trip but never made eye contact, always looking at their phones the entire time lol.

Trophy Points
28th May 2021

john Mcafee's life is like something from a Hollywood script. Absolute madman

excerpt from coinbureau.com: "John McAfee’s story is so outlandish that it’s often hard to believe. It involves money, drugs – lots of them – guns, women, Bitcoin, multiple spells in jail and two attempts to become president. It’s often said of larger-than-life characters that if they didn’t exist then someone would have to invent them. If someone had tried to invent John McAfee, they’d have been laughed out of town". https://www.coinbureau.com/analysis/john-mcafee-story/

View attachment 1458

30th May 2021

I'm amazed he isn't dead yet...

23rd June 2021

Found dead in Spanish prison cell. Suicide as he was to be extradicted to USA for mass tax evasion.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe...dead-in-jail-cell-report-20210624-p583ri.html

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points

Wahesh

Trophy Points
That was something that really caught me by surprise. I remember back in the 00s we used to use McAfee as virus protection software at work (NSW Government) and to think that this has happened to him is something quite extraordinary.

Well we're all human and no one gets out of this life alive, but I didn't expect him to go out like that.

Trophy Points
I'm suprised he lasted as long as he did. There was one period in time he was absolutely blasted on (from memory meth) almost all the time. Socials and stuff were mind numbing (like Brett Dallas's), and he setup a secure compound in like Barbados or somewhere to keep government away.

Was a real strange character and I always wondered how someone like him could have the smarts to become so rich from an AV product.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I'm suprised he lasted as long as he did. There was one period in time he was absolutely blasted on (from memory meth) almost all the time. Socials and stuff were mind numbing (like Brett Dallas's), and he setup a secure compound in like Barbados or somewhere to keep government away.

Was a real strange character and I always wondered how someone like him could have the smarts to become so rich from an AV product.

I think in the docco they said he started flipping out when he was smoking a lot of DMT but probably meth in the mix as well.. it's crazy what a roller coaster some people's lives become off the back of drugs.

Trophy Points
Just watched the Netflix documentary on Fyre Festival. Bloody hell, what a complete clusterfuck. I'm amazed they even got to the point of holding an event at all.

Scamming after scamming, and then even whilst out on bail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fyre_(film)

and just read that anyone who bought tickets looks set to only get about $250USD back, as $1.4 million was recouped, and $1.1 million of that has gone to the lawyers and accountants for the class action.

I feel for the locals in Bahamas who got shafted.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Oh man, That was absolutely freakin' amazing when that happened.. couldn't have happened to a bigger bunch of absolute douche bags! I was binging on the videos of the attendees being screwed around a couple of months ago.

And yes, I feel for the locals for not only having to deal with these a holes, but got shafted as well.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
There's this as well... douchebags stuck at a drug addict fe.. I mean, spiritual festival thing because of covid.. doesn't take long for their true colours to come out lol

The comment sections of these videos are absolute gold mines.

Last edited: