• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

TV Docs The Documentary Thread

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Thread for posting/ discussing your favourite documentaries

My personal favourite..

I would have loved have to have been programmer during the PC development phase and the .com boom.. getting buzzed on caffeine all day, eating filth, sleeping for a few hours at the office and then doing it all again, and again... :ROFLMAO:

Wiki:

Triumph of the Nerds is a 1996 British/American television documentary, produced by John Gau Productions and Oregon Public Broadcasting for Channel 4 and PBS. It explores the development of the personal computer in the United States from World War II to 1995. The title Triumph of the Nerds is a play on the title of the 1984 comedy Revenge of the Nerds.[2] It was first screened as three episodes between 14 and 28 April 1996 on Channel 4, and as a single programme on 16 December 1996 on PBS.

Triumph of the Nerds was written and hosted by Robert X. Cringely (Mark Stephens) and based on his 1992 book Accidental Empires. The documentary is composed of numerous interviews with important figures connected with the personal computer including Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer, Paul Allen, Bill Atkinson, Andy Hertzfeld, Ed Roberts, and Larry Ellison. It also includes archival footage of Gary Kildall and commentary from Douglas Adams, the author of the science fiction series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Cringely followed the series with Nerds 2.0.1 (Glory of the Geeks in the UK), a history of the Internet to 1998, when the series was made.

triumph.jpg

K E

Eat Up Martha
Trophy Points
Great thread. Absolutely love docos.

I have probably watched every single Louie Theroux doco. He's such a nerd but I love him.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Great thread. Absolutely love docos.

I have probably watched every single Louie Theroux doco. He's such a nerd but I love him.

I don't mind me some Louis. Although I would never buy his naive act lol he knows what he's doing

Trophy Points
David Attenborough, Ross Kemp, Jason Fox, Louis Theroux, Reggie Yates, Levison Wood.

Anything by those guys you know is going to be honest and quality.

Will update soonish with some actual specific ones to check out.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Been watching a lot of death row docos for some reason.

Have watched a few of those... I love me some crime shows/documentaries.. some of the death row interviews are fascinating

Trophy Points
Been watching a lot of death row docos for some reason.
Try and find "The Big House" by History Channel. I've got it on DVD. Excellent factual series.

I've got a backlog of "Inside Worlds Toughest Prison" style shows LOL

Let's see, in rough numbers:
850GB of Documentaries
760 Documentaries/Files (I say files because some might have a few episodes),

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
This one is really good - interviews with survivors and investigators of the Zodiac case.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Actually a really good docco.. Tetris has quite the colourful history.

In 1984, during the Cold War, a Russian programmer named Alexey Pajitnov created something special: A puzzle game called Tetris. It soon gained a cult following within the Soviet Union. A battle for the rights to publish Tetris erupted when the game crossed the Iron Curtain. Tetris not only took the video game industry by storm, it helped break the boundaries between the United States and the Soviet Union.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
It's hard to find any documentaries on NK that are non-agenda driven.. I think this one is somewhat genuine... they are generally interesting either way.

Award-winning documentary filmmaker Sung-Hyung Cho was the first South Korean filmmaker to ever receive an official permit to film in North Korea. Traveling the country, she accompanies ordinary people during their everyday life and work routines, talking to them about their hopes and dreams. The resulting film ventures beyond the usual clichés and portrays the country and its people in a unique and respectful way. Growing up in South Korea, Cho was taught in school that her Northern neighbors had red skin and two horns on their heads. With her film, she took the chance to bid farewell to her prejudices and revise her preconceived image of people in North Korea.

K E

Eat Up Martha
Trophy Points
I'll check that one out. Sick of the usual "OMG, look they can't drive cars" type "documentaries" by some random American/British guy on YouTube.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I'll check that one out. Sick of the usual "OMG, look they can't drive cars" type "documentaries" by some random American/British guy on YouTube.

yeah or they harp on about how NK has slums... heck there are a shit load of people in the west who don't even have a roof.

Wahesh

Beast by Name, Beast by Nature
Trophy Points
I wouldn't really call these documentaries, but there's this guy in Japan who does these videos he posts on YouTube that are very informative.

He travels and details things that he does and see's in videos for us to see. Quite interesting actually.

https://www.youtube.com/c/IWillAlwaysTravelforFood/videos

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Actually a really good docco.. Tetris has quite the colourful history.

In 1984, during the Cold War, a Russian programmer named Alexey Pajitnov created something special: A puzzle game called Tetris. It soon gained a cult following within the Soviet Union. A battle for the rights to publish Tetris erupted when the game crossed the Iron Curtain. Tetris not only took the video game industry by storm, it helped break the boundaries between the United States and the Soviet Union.

Speaking of such, there's a doco series on Netflix called "High Score" which is apparently really good. Haven't got around to watching it yet. It covers a lot of the early history of video games.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Speaking of such, there's a doco series on Netflix called "High Score" which is apparently really good. Haven't got around to watching it yet. It covers a lot of the early history of video games.

oh really? I don't have Netflix but I imagine it will end up on YouTube in the near future... speaking of which, there are a tonne of quality gaming history doccos on the tube, including this one

K E

Eat Up Martha
Trophy Points
Was watching a while bunch of Vincent Van Gogh docos on YouTube last night. Very interesting man.

Wahesh

Beast by Name, Beast by Nature
Trophy Points
I watched episode one yesterday. Interesting observation at how things used to work in the past when you compare them to today - for instance the space invaders championships in New York lol.