• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

The history of NRL clubs logos. Part one (Clarkey)

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Some great history here. I like all our logos bar the floating head. I like that the CB monogram gets a good run these days too. The original Bulldogs face was awesome, but I think what we have now is more suitable to the modern era of sporting logos.

There's some funny ones in there as well, such as the 69-70 Cronulla logo which looks like a walking shark, and the blob with an eye that is the 57-59 Manly logo.

Broncos really need to do a re-design of the original horse imo.

Last edited:

Wahesh

Beast by Name, Beast by Nature
Trophy Points
Some great history here. I like all our logos bar the floating head. I like that the CB monogram gets a good run these days too. The original Bulldogs face was awesome, but I think what we have now is more suitable to the modern era of sporting logos.

There's some funny ones in there as well, such as the 69-70 Cronulla logo which looks like a walking shark, and the blob with an eye that is the 57-59 Manly logo.

Broncos really need to do a re-design of the original horse imo.
Yeah and there's also quite a few that fall under the radar. For instance, I had no idea the Broncos and Raiders had a re-designed one given how minor the changes are.

What I do miss about the modern sporting logos is that I remember back in the 90s, most teams had their logos encased in either a crest or a circle. Classics the come to mind are ours, Cronulla and Balmain. I just found those designs that were in the circle to be uniquely Australian.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Yeah and there's also quite a few that fall under the radar. For instance, I had no idea the Broncos and Raiders had a re-designed one given how minor the changes are.

What I do miss about the modern sporting logos is that I remember back in the 90s, most teams had their logos encased in either a crest or a circle. Classics the come to mind are ours, Cronulla and Balmain. I just found those designs that were in the circle to be uniquely Australian.

They both definitely are an improvement, the Raiders logo especially. I love the updated Viking, I thought the former version was good but in particular the update palette is brilliant.

Yeah those circle border logos are so iconic and everyone of the logos from that era is so memorable.. I always look at them as being perfect beanie logos lol

Wahesh

Trophy Points
So manly have had the oldest logo (according to the teams displayed).

Raiders is about the only one that has improved in my opinion.
Melbourne had the right idea of a logo with a crest but it was only for 1 season for their 20 years. They should've made it more long term. Instead of "20 Years" they could've put something else like "Est. 1998" (or was it 1997? I know they entered the comp in 1998 but were probably established in 1997).

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Their current logo is not bad but it lacks a bit of punch.. it's got a bit of a corporate feel about it.. The crest was good I'm just wondering how they'd fill it out without the 20 years text.. you wouldn't want to scale up the character up anymore because the proportions wouldn't match the crest

Trophy Points
I just looked again at Cronullas and laughed.

71 to 78 - what the actual hell is that black thing! Looks nothing like a shark.
79 to 97 - have a go how derpy the shark looks :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:
98 to 03 - not much better.

1656993896786.png

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Somebody on Reddit suggested we use the Bulldog sans the badge, and I was thinking that wouldn't be bad, but upon inspection I think a full white (with shading) probably wouldn't stand out on a white jersey, even with part of the logo sitting on top of the V. Sorta like this but with the team name below.

images (7).jpeg

Wahesh

Trophy Points
I actually like our logo in a crest, however it could've been better. I would've preferred the old Bulldogs we used to use that looked like he was ready to tear anything apart lol, and also the Berries stripes instead of the blue V. It would've been perfect.

Canterbury-Bankstown-Bulldogs-Logo-1995.png

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I actually like our logo in a crest, however it could've been better. I would've preferred the old Bulldogs we used to use that looked like he was ready to tear anything apart lol, and also the Berries stripes instead of the blue V. It would've been perfect.

Canterbury-Bankstown-Bulldogs-Logo-1995.png

The only thing I find weird about that Bulldog is the amount of line detail on the face, and then nothing on the body. It was definitely good for that era though.