• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

The Nintendo Thread

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
A thread for all things Nintendo

Nearly 50 unique Secrets, Codes, Glitches, Development Stories, and Forgotten Lore about one of the most influential and beloved games of all time: Super Mario Bros.

Last edited:

Wahesh

Beast by Name, Beast by Nature
Trophy Points
I was more of a Sega man, but I still like a few of the Nintendo games. I mainly play Game Boy and N64 though when it comes to Nintendo. I still play Tetris today.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I was more of a Sega man, but I still like a few of the Nintendo games. I mainly play Game Boy and N64 though when it comes to Nintendo. I still play Tetris today.

I liked both but was more of a Nintendo guy.. pretty much based on Donkey Kong and Mario alone.. games on both consoles still hold up today imo. NES Tetris is still going hard, I watch some of the videos from the Tetris tournaments in which NES Tetris is the version they compete on

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Dorkly's 25 Greatest Super Nintendo Games

There is a few gems that are not on this list, but what do you take out? I forgot just how many great games were produced for the NES & SNES

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Interesting. I love when you watch those documentaries on things you like as a kid and then find out the inspiration behind,

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for instance came about the 2 main creators doing doodle drawings for a laugh. Power Rangers came from a Japanese show in the 70s. The list goes on.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Interesting. I love when you watch those documentaries on things you like as a kid and then find out the inspiration behind,

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for instance came about the 2 main creators doing doodle drawings for a laugh. Power Rangers came from a Japanese show in the 70s. The list goes on.

yeah that's it hey.. you don't think too much into it when you're a kid you're just so caught up in how cool it is.. but it's interesting to hear all the production stories.. that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story is funny as, never knew that one lol

Wahesh

Trophy Points
yeah that's it hey.. you don't think too much into it when you're a kid you're just so caught up in how cool it is.. but it's interesting to hear all the production stories.. that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story is funny as, never knew that one lol
Yep. Other interesting facts is that they were originally a squad - same color eye bandanas, same weapons, etc. They changed them up to differentiate, so got individual colours, individuals weapons, and individual attitudes.

This is one of the very first drawings/drafts.

1st_turtle_sm.jpg

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Yep. Other interesting facts is that they were originally a squad - same color eye bandanas, same weapons, etc. They changed them up to differentiate, so got individual colours, individuals weapons, and individual attitudes.

This is one of the very first drawings/drafts.

1st_turtle_sm.jpg

that's cool hey.. heaps more realistic than what they came to be..

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Bubsy (SNES)

I actually really liked Bubsy.. I know it cops a bit of shite now but the original game at the time, despite its flaws which were mainly game play, it was pretty fun to play.. the graphics are a really cool as well, particularly the cars

bubsycars.jpeg

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Bubsy (SNES)

I actually really liked Bubsy.. I know it cops a bit of shite now but the original game at the time, despite its flaws which were mainly game play, it was pretty fun to play.. the graphics are a really cool as well, particularly the cars

View attachment 1454

I remember Bubsy was on SNES. I know that game because when I was a lad I watched the kids game show A*mazing and the game looked really good - graphics and sound and all. It looked very fun and simple too.

Now... I tried to play this game recently. I couldn't get past the first stage.

Last edited:

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I remember Bubsy was on SNES. I know that game because when I was a lad I watched the kids game show A*mazing and the game looked really good - graphics and sound and all. It looked very fun and simply too.

Now... I tried to play this game recently. I couldn't get past the first stage.

haha yeah the gameplay isn't great, but back then I think we were a lot less picky with that sorta thing compared to now.. the level design definitely made up for it as well... it's one of those games where it's fun to not just play the game, but explore as well

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Really enjoying this channel

The Making of Donkey Kong Country & Killer Instinct / Pre-rendered graphics​

Last edited:

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
It's funny how even the smallest of things can be inspiration to big ideas.

definitely.. and I think as well if you've got the right people driving the company that's the biggest key.. like Apple for example.. Woz and his original Apple computers would have just been a hobby still today if it weren't for Steve Jobs' greed ..I mean, drive

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
on a similar note..

Super Mario Kart went on to become a 16-bit classic and one of the best selling Super Nintendo games of all time. But Super Mario Kart's origins didn't even start as a Mario game. From an unsucessful two player F-Zero game to one of Nintendo's longest running franchises, this is the story of how Nintendo failed into Super Mario Kart.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
In August of 1997 Rare released Goldeneye 007 for the Nintendo 64 and with it came a paradigm shift of what most thought a first-person shooter on a console could be. Based on the 1995 James Bond film of the same name, today Goldeneye is revered for it it’s enemy A.I., level design, gameplay, and of course, its legendary multiplayer. This is the story behind the making of Goldeneye, a Nintendo 64 masterpiece.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Hate to bash on people doing something I couldn't do, but wow at some of these lol

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I was just watching some NES vids and it occurred to me how crazy it is that some of the best NES games were written in Assembly. That would have been super tedious.