• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

PC The Old Net - Experience the '90s Internet Again! (Overview & Demo)

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Ever wanted to go back in time to the 1990s, and experience the early days of the world wide web? Well with The Old Net, you can! This site takes the Internet Archive's massive repository of old website snapshots, and makes them accessible from older web browsers! The Old Net: http://theoldnet.com/

Wahesh

Beast by Name, Beast by Nature
Trophy Points
Wow this is pretty cool. I just tried it on Google and forgot it looked like this:

1640042348934.png

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Also I remember all those functions that those personal sites used to have - Guestbook, Chatroom etc...

I had my own Friendpages site once that I created to assist me when studying Web Design in college.

A few friends of mine did the same thing and others used sites such as Geocities etc...

Facebook killed all of those.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Also I remember all those functions that those personal sites used to have - Guestbook, Chatroom etc...

I had my own Friendpages site once that I created to assist me when studying Web Design in college.

A few friends of mine did the same thing and others used sites such as Geocities etc...

Facebook killed all of those.

Man I've been trying to find some of my old Friendpages sites on Wayback Machine but with no luck sadly.. they were cool! Pbase was good as well, but that was like early norties. The guestbook was especially popular on all of the sites back then.

What killed social media was news/politics, not only because it saturates a lot of the sites but it's also trickles into so much of the content people put out today, as opposed to internet 1.0 where people mostly just did things because they were fun/cool.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
speaking of the web, it will be interesting to see what happens to my favourite cesspit Reddit when it goes public... honestly Facebook cops it, and rightly so, but there's much worse content on Reddit.

Trophy Points
Will go the way of LiveLeak I reckon.

So over moderated and scaled back that it eventually starts to die off.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
speaking of the web, it will be interesting to see what happens to my favourite cesspit Reddit when it goes public... honestly Facebook cops it, and rightly so, but there's much worse content on Reddit.
Yeah I know man. I only use Reddit as a last resort if all other resources come up with nothing. I honestly forget Reddit exists sometimes, that's how rarely I use it.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Yeah I know man. I only use Reddit as a last resort if all other resources come up with nothing. I honestly forget Reddit exists sometimes, that's how rarely I use it.

The only reason Reddit stands above the other's (imo) is because unlike Google that is generally based on seo, you don't have to look far within a sub for quality information. And then of course "Popular" is basically scraping the bottom of the internet barrel.

Last edited:

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Windows 3.11 it was on :) Used to absolutely love that game.
Damn... I only ever had Windows 3.1 lol - I missed it by 1 version update. I didn't have a Windows 95 PC either, but had them at school and played it all the time. I used to book the library computers (remember those days lol) just to play that game during lunchtime.