• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

What's eating?

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
*check use by date*
*prepare to hunt that sucker down close to use by date time*

It's the trick to getting cheap meat as it can't be sold after used by date at Coles or Woolies.

I too am a bargain hunter! Late night marked down roast chicken is always handy as well.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Just had my first fish dinner in about 15 years lol.. lemon pepper crumb, figure I should consume more omega 3. I don't know why I turned off seafood, I used to eat fush & chups all the time.

Wahesh

Beast by Name, Beast by Nature
Trophy Points
I had pork ribs on Thursday night at a steak house. It wasn't the best. I however have had the half rack special for $18 at the St. George Motorboat club (every Thursday night) and they are pretty good.

Trophy Points
Treated myself the other night to one of those Coles Black Pepper Beef Cheek/Steaks. They come in a 2 pack for $8.

Not too bad, then again with the kidney stones I'm apparently not meant to eat much animal protein (in particular beef), because it can cause stones to form easier.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
I had a plain steak pie yesterday from the local bakery. Nothing fancy, just your normal suburban bakery. It was actually pretty good. The only thing I could fault it for was not being hot enough.

Today I had a steak, egg and cheese pie from a different bakery (although in the same suburb). I actually put it in the microwave this time when I got home, put some tomato sauce on it and enjoyed it watching re-runs of Spin City on Stan. Not a bad way to spend my lunch hour :)

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I had a plain steak pie yesterday from the local bakery. Nothing fancy, just your normal suburban bakery. It was actually pretty good. The only thing I could fault it for was not being hot enough.

Today I had a steak, egg and cheese pie from a different bakery (although in the same suburb). I actually put it in the microwave this time when I got home, put some tomato sauce on it and enjoyed it watching re-runs of Spin City on Stan. Not a bad way to spend my lunch hour :)

Love me a good pie. The bakery near my place does a really nice beef burgundy. They only do it every second week though and I always forget to take note of which week it is.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
So I'm housesitting at mum's, it was Friday night, I felt a bit pekkish so I went to the cupboard and grabbed a packet of biscuits.. open them up and starting eating one.. I'm like whoa what the fuck is that taste? Check the box, used by date 2020.. God damn mum.. proceed to spit everything out..

I thought I was going to cop food poisoning lol.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
So I'm housesitting at mum's, it was Friday night, I felt a bit pekkish so I went to the cupboard and grabbed a packet of biscuits.. open them up and starting eating one.. I'm like whoa what the fuck is that taste? Check the box, used by date 2020.. God damn mum.. proceed to spit everything out..

Gosh mate, hope it was just the one. I thought biscuits would've lasted a bit longer but if the packet had the slightest opening in it, the air would've gone it and been the end of it.

Also I learned a long time ago always carefully read what you're buying when you're shopping at the Reject Shop. One time I thought I was buying Mentos... and I was... except it was Indonesian Mentos that had a coin of their currency included. I was gobsmacked. The currency was actually advertised as being inside the packet as well, and was packaged.

Trophy Points

Biscuits are a pretty safe bet, but even so that's even outside the realm I'd take a gamble on haha.

Gosh mate, hope it was just the one. I thought biscuits would've lasted a bit longer but if the packet had the slightest opening in it, the air would've gone it and been the end of it.
Other week I bought a block of cheese (not realising it had a hole in the packaging). A day later went to get it out of fridge, and theres mold on the entire underside of it.

Took it back and got the money refunded AND a free cheese :D

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Biscuits are a pretty safe bet, but even so that's even outside the realm I'd take a gamble on haha.

Other week I bought a block of cheese (not realising it had a hole in the packaging). A day later went to get it out of fridge, and theres mold on the entire underside of it.

Took it back and got the money refunded AND a free cheese :D
That reminds me of a time I picked up a jar of Kalamata Olives from Coles. I went to open it and couldn't. I was going to knock it a bit to get some air out, but looked closely at the top layer of olives in the jar. It looked weird. Upon closer inspection I saw that it was a blow fly. Now let's keep in mind the jar was still industrially sealed. I rang up the company and told them and I got the usual run around saying "there's nothing they could do" etc. I said "No worries, I'll take it back to Coles" - they immediately shat themselves and told me not to do that (fearing that Coles would cancel the partnership with them etc...) and they were at my house the next day. They took the jar I bought, gave me another one in it's place and also complimented about 4 other products of theirs with it lol.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points

Well the buscuits in question are from Aldi, and they were in a darker part of the cupboard, and have been there through all the weather weirdness..

All I can say is, mould tastes exactly like it looks lol it reminded me of eating horseradish.

That reminds me of a time I picked up a jar of Kalamata Olives from Coles. I went to open it and couldn't. I was going to knock it a bit to get some air out, but looked closely at the top layer of olives in the jar. It looked weird. Upon closer inspection I saw that it was a blow fly. Now let's keep in mind the jar was still industrially sealed. I rang up the company and told them and I got the usual run around saying "there's nothing they could do" etc. I said "No worries, I'll take it back to Coles" - they immediately shat themselves and told me not to do that (fearing that Coles would cancel the partnership with them etc...) and they were at my house the next day. They took the jar I bought, gave me another one in it's place and also complimented abou

Lol that takes me back! I remember often hearing stories about companies hooking people up upon complaint. It makes me think though, I never really look at the contents of anything in a jar that I buy, not until I get home anyway.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Well the buscuits in question are from Aldi, and they were in a darker part of the cupboard, and have been there through all the weather weirdness..

All I can say is, mould tastes exactly like it looks lol it reminded me of eating horseradish.

Lol that takes me back! I remember often hearing stories about companies hooking people up upon complaint. It makes me think though, I never really look at the contents of anything in a jar that I buy, not until I get home anyway.
Yeah same here mate. I mean every now and then I get the odd thing that's got a tear in it and there's a slight staleness about it but a blowfly was completely weird.

Hey remember back in the 90s when they had those mini cereal boxes that had a variety of 6 single serves? Well I remember I bought one from Clancy's (now defunct supermarket) and 1 of the boxes was completely empty. I mean the bag that the cereal are sealed in was there but it had no cereal in it lol.

1658362629489.png

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Yeah same here mate. I mean every now and then I get the odd thing that's got a tear in it and there's a slight staleness about it but a blowfly was completely weird.

Hey remember back in the 90s when they had those mini cereal boxes that had a variety of 6 single serves? Well I remember I bought one from Clancy's (now defunct supermarket) and 1 of the boxes was completely empty. I mean the bag that the cereal are sealed in was there but it had no cereal in it lol.

View attachment 2065

ahh Clancy's.. that's a throwback! haha that sucks mate I wonder how that happened :ROFLMAO: I can happily say I've never experienced anything like that. The only thing I've witnessed is little bugs inside a packet of pasta that had a tear in it, at a Woolies store in Brisbane.. I've come across a few more items with tears over the years, but no bug action. I just reported the bugs to a worker from memory, I'm pretty sure it was home brand so no harm done.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
I seem to have picked up a "snacking" habit now. Rather than having lunch I have a Red Delicious Apple, Mandarin, Muesli Bar, Yoghurt, and a couple of teas/coffees throughout the day now. Not sure if it's a good thing but just something for the time being.

Trophy Points
I seem to have picked up a "snacking" habit now. Rather than having lunch I have a Red Delicious Apple, Mandarin, Muesli Bar, Yoghurt, and a couple of teas/coffees throughout the day now. Not sure if it's a good thing but just something for the time being.
You know it's funny.

If I have breakfast (whole orange, 2 pieces of bread with jam, glass of water), I often find that I'm hungrier throughout the day, compared to if I just have a late breakfast (or skip it) and have a larger lunch.

Must be something to do with metabolisms.

These days (in an attempt to avoid another visit from a kidney stone), I normally have one whole orange, one mandarin, and an apple each day.

I've noticed it's hard to go wrong with oranges if they are kept right. Apples I've been loving the Bravo apples at the moment (but they aren't cheap).

Speaking of mandarins, got some medium sized imperial mandarins from Coles a week odd ago, and the one I had today was absolutely perfect. It was like the most delicious, juicy one I have ever had in my life. It was the sort of mandarin that all others should aspire to follow in it's delicious footsteps.

I think next time I need some more I might sus out people on FB Marketplace and try and support some of the locals if the prices are good. As I'm not a huge distance from Bilpin I might even sus out apple picking or something one day :D

Wahesh

Trophy Points
You know it's funny.

If I have breakfast (whole orange, 2 pieces of bread with jam, glass of water), I often find that I'm hungrier throughout the day, compared to if I just have a late breakfast (or skip it) and have a larger lunch.

Must be something to do with metabolisms.

These days (in an attempt to avoid another visit from a kidney stone), I normally have one whole orange, one mandarin, and an apple each day.

I've noticed it's hard to go wrong with oranges if they are kept right. Apples I've been loving the Bravo apples at the moment (but they aren't cheap).

Speaking of mandarins, got some medium sized imperial mandarins from Coles a week odd ago, and the one I had today was absolutely perfect. It was like the most delicious, juicy one I have ever had in my life. It was the sort of mandarin that all others should aspire to follow in it's delicious footsteps.

I think next time I need some more I might sus out people on FB Marketplace and try and support some of the locals if the prices are good. As I'm not a huge distance from Bilpin I might even sus out apple picking or something one day :D
The only mandarin's I touch are imperial. The others either have too many seeds or are too hard to peel. Imperials have very little (or no) seeds, are easy to peel (and can come off in 2-3 pieces), and are bigger (and juicy) and win it for me hands down.

I haven't had oranges in a while but might invest in a few naval oranges from Coles once this crappy weather goes away lol.