• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News ‘Big drama at Belmore’: Bulldogs powerbrokers schedule emergency Barrett meeting

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Bulldogs powerbrokers are set to hold emergency talks on Monday to discuss the team’s early-season performance and the future of coach Trent Barrett.

Canterbury officials are reportedly frustrated and spent the weekend speculating whether Barrett was still the club’s long-term boss, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

Pressure was mounting on Barrett prior to the club’s upset victory over the Roosters, but a poor performance against a struggling Knights outfit has shone the spotlight back on the club’s 2022 woes.

Bulldogs officials will also question director of football Phil Gould, asking whether the club can return to finals football with Trent Barrett as coach.

Barrett could have coached the club for the last time after a 16-6 loss to Adam O’Brien’s Newcastle side.

“Trent Barrett is under enormous pressure, there will be an emergency meeting of the Bulldogs board tomorrow with the suggestion Barrett may have coached his last game,” Warren Smith said on Fox League’s Magic Round coverage.

“We saw Phil Gould here in the media centre not long before kick-off between the Roosters and the Eels and his mood it’s fair to say was fairly dark.

“Maybe a clue there, but big drama at Belmore.”

Club members have sent a wave of complaints to Canterbury-Bankstown directors according to the SMH, with many suggesting it is time to let Barrett go.

The former Panthers assistant has no answers in Friday night’s post-match press conference, having slumped to the dismal record of only five wins from 34 games.

Only a few weeks ago, Phil Gould backed Barrett as the long-term Bulldogs coach but now the decision may be out of his hands if the board decides they must severe ties.

Many fans had a positive outlook coming into this season, with a number of high-profile recruits including Matt Burton and Josh Addo-Carr ready to revive the cellar dwellers.

But now any optimism has faded and the Bulldogs will not be short of options should they be needing a new coach.

Paul Green, Shane Flanagan and Cameron Ciraldo are the experienced options to take over, while Steve Price has had a successful stint in Cronulla and Kristian Woolf has been solid at St Helens.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
This is a chance for our board to show how serious they are.. They have to act right now rather than let this drag on.. I'd of loved for the team to improve under Baz but it's not looking likely and it's unfair to the players right now because they likely are not enjoying their football.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
absolutely agree just glad i am not the only one banging the drum about Barretts coaching averaging only 1 game win from 7 games since joining the dogs (5 from 34 games is disgraceful stats) is not acceptable for an assumedly good coach.
Now watch the feathers fly it is about time the board acted they owe it to the sponsors the club and not least all the supporters.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
absolutely agree just glad i am not the only one banging the drum about Barretts coaching averaging only 1 game win from 7 games since joining the dogs (5 from 34 games is disgraceful stats) is not acceptable for an assumedly good coach.
Now watch the feathers fly it is about time the board acted they owe it to the sponsors the club and not least all the supporters.

I reckon Baz is best suited to a specific role rather than head coach, at least right now.. you compare the effort of our team plays with to say the Cowboys this year or Broncos and it's night and day.. I remember a game a few weeks ago where Fox out ran the other winger + two centres combine, and I'm sure that wasn't the only time. This team might be used to losing but they just don't seem to have any belief.

Trophy Points
Apparently resigned Sunday night. Now the rest except Tangata Toa need to follow him.

Ferris wont get another job in the NRL, and Furner as well as Sandercock and Turner need to drop from the coaching team.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Apparently resigned Sunday night. Now the rest except Tangata Toa need to follow him.

Ferris wont get another job in the NRL, and Furner as well as Sandercock and Turner need to drop from the coaching team.

If Flanno sr takes the job I imagine he will assemble his own crew.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
His suited position was a role or assistant coach from what I've heard and seen.