• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News ‘I’ve overcome a lot’: Bulldogs recruit opens up on drugs drama that led to Panthers exit

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Trophy Points

‘I’ve overcome a lot’: Bulldogs recruit opens up on drugs drama that led to Panthers exit​

Staff Writers - February 9th, 2022 9:22 am

Bulldogs recruit Brent Naden has reflected on a tumultuous period which resulted in a stint in rehab and a four-game ban from his former club.

After the Panthers’ 2020 grand final appearance it emerged that the Penrith centre has tested positive for having cocaine in his system.

The result meant that during Naden’s appearance off the bench at ANZ Stadium he had the drug in his system.

Naden told the Sydney Morning Herald that the positive result was an opportunity to grow as a person and to fix his off-field problems with the help of his partner, Eden.

“She’s helped me out a lot, she’s kept me on the straight and narrow,” Naden said. “That’s the track I’m on for good. I’m proud of myself, I’ve come a long way in 12 months. I’ve overcome a lot of things.”

The NSW country product, who hails from Wellington explained that quitting the game he loves was never an option and to never “try to be someone you’re not”.

“I had a good support network around me,” Naden explained. “Seeing those guys always happy and so willing to help, I was never going to fold [out of respect] for them. There wasn’t a moment after it [that I considered leaving rugby league], no.”

After joining up with his new Bulldogs teammates for pre-season, Naden has impressed and a surprise call up to the Indigenous All Stars team almost had him in tears.

“I was shocked and excited. I was overcome with all these emotions, I was trying to fight back the tears a little bit,” Naden said.

Follow recruit Josh Addo-Carr broke the news at a training camp in Tamworth last week and the 26-year-old emphasised how much it means to the players selected.

“It means everything. It’s always been a goal since you start out. Every Indigenous young boy and girl wants to represent their culture, their tribe and their family and their friends in this game,” Naden said.

“It means a lot to me. I know it means a lot to all the boys as well.”

Reflecting on his time at the Panthers, the speedster said he is now in a better place, but the pressures of being an athlete at the peak of their respective sport caught up to him, explaining players are “just in the spotlight a little bit too much.”

“We’re humans as well, we have emotions,” Naden said.

Indigenous All Stars captain and Bulldogs teammates Josh Addo-Carr was excited to play with his new teammate during the showcase game and praised Naden for pulling through the tough time.

“It goes to show what kind of character he is. He could have crumbled [during the drugs drama] but he rose through it,” Addo-Carr said.

“I see it first hand every day, the way [he] handles himself. He’s a true leader and he just wants the best for himself and his teammates. He deserves the opportunity, I can’t wait to run out with him.”

Trophy Points
Really good to hear that Naden has got on top of his demons and managed to put them to bed.

Him and Addo Carr are in for a massive 2022 season if they can get quality ball. Put a quality second rower like TPJ or Hetherington inside of them, and Burton inside of that, and that entire edge is deadly.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I remember watching Naden when he first came on the scene and thinking, this guy will play Origin, he's got speed power and skill. Sure his defense can improve but he's still got a high ceiling.

Health is what's most important so it's nice to hear he's in a good place.

Trophy Points
Be interested to see how they go in Indigenous All Stars. Hopefully that side gets decent ball.