• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News Cameron Ciraldo reveals why he chose Bulldogs

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Trophy Points
Video here from WWOS: https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/nrl...erbury-bulldogs-job/cl92kf7av00020jphmbkdo7wf

‘Felt right’: Ciraldo reveals why he chose Bulldogs and how Gus factor swayed him​

Staff Writers from Fox Sports
October 11th, 2022 10:46 am

Highly sought-after coach Cameron Ciraldo has shed light on his decision to coach the Bulldogs and the Phil Gould factor that played a key part.

Penrith Panthers assistant coach Ciraldo has been a man in demand, knocking back a long-term deal with the Tigers earlier this year before signing on as Bulldogs head coach until 2028.

Having now left the Panthers after their back-to-back premiership triumph, Ciraldo has opened up on the decision.

“I know one reason it just felt right and it felt comfortable and it’s a proud club with a proud history and I see the potential there in the next few years and I wanted to be apart of it,” Ciraldo told Channel Nine.

Another contributing factor to Ciraldo’s arrival to the Bulldogs was his friendship with Bulldogs General Manager of Football, Phil ‘Gus’ Gould. Ciraldo worked with Gould at Penrith and said he had played an integral part in his coaching career since the day he hung up the boots in 2013.

“I’ve known Gus for a long time, he’s been really good for me and done a lot for me throughout my career so to work with him again is exciting and I know that as a young coach he can really help me,” Ciraldo added.
“Because there’s a lot you’ve got to deal with and at different stages I’m going to want to focus on the team first and let him worry about a lot of other peripheral stuff.”

Along with Ciraldo the Bulldogs are welcoming a number of recruits for 2023 including Viliame Kikau and Reed Mahoney, who’ve both come off impressive 2022 campaigns.

The club currently possesses a wealth of talent including Matt Burton, Josh Addo-Carr and Tevita Pangai Jr

Kikau and Mahoney’s addition to the club could see the Bulldogs knock on the door of the top eight in 2023.

“(I’m) just looking forward to day one and getting in there and starting the hard work so that’s all I’m thinking about at the moment,” Ciraldo said.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I'm very confident about Ciraldo.. with Trent it was more of a hope, but having a defence first coach is absolutely what you need to be successful in the NRL, I mean we started attacking better this year but could barely defend back to back sets.. you're never going to go far trying to win predominantly on attack in the NRL.

Hearing that he's got that "father figure" in him will he significant as well, good coaches are good man managers.

He's played a big role in getting a lot of former Dogs back around the club which is also great.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I know I go on about it but John Khoury deserves so much praise. He worked hard to get Gus back to the club and ever since that everything has fallen into place.. Gus initially got Cameron to Penrith because of his work ethic and I think it's evident he's the real deal.. you only need to look at how professional Penrith are and how well drilled they are in defence.. Cameron has been a big part of that.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
i loved Cameron's comment when asked about where Mick Potter fits in the scheme and loved that he will be assistant coach at the club specifically in attack so I get the feeling these two are going to make this once great club great again. How can the team fail with the best defensive coach in the comp and added to that a recognised ex player who started last season to get the best out of our attack in Mick. We now have the best coaching staff. All we need now is a great trainer and for the players to realise what a great coaching team they have to realise their full potential in 2023. Go for it boys!!!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I was reading that Sandercock had a big role in the way we began to attack, but maybe Potter was more hands on in that department... either way there is obviously something about Mick that allows the players to feel more free and confident in their footy. It's good to have an older head involved because he doesn't try and overcomplicate shit either.