• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News Ex Cowboys coach Paul Green passes away aged 49.

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Trophy Points

NRL in mourning after shock death of legendary player, coach Paul Green​

Fox League from Fox Sports
August 11th, 2022 12:16 pm

The rugby league world is in mourning after the sudden death of Paul Green at 49 years old.

The Daily Telegraph reported that Green passed away in his Brisbane home on Thursday morning.

The Telegraph reported that Green had not said anything about feeling ill before his sudden passing, with a post-mortem to determine the cause of his death.

Green had a decorated playing career, suiting up for the Cronulla Sharks, North Queensland Cowboys, Sydney Roosters, Parramatta Eels and Brisbane Broncos.

He then made the switch to coaching after he hung up the boots, taking the Cowboys to their first-ever premiership in 2015 before also taking over the Queensland Maroons Origin side.

Former Melbourne Storm and Maroons hooker Cameron Smith called it “shocking news” on SEN Radio.

“A very sad part of the day,” Smith said, reacting to the news alongside Denan Kemp, who was coached by Green in the early stages of his rugby league career.

“It’s certainly rocked myself and Kempy in the studio and everyone in the rugby league world.

“It’s a sad day for everyone involved in the rugby league family and community. We send our best wishes and condolences out to the entire Green family.”

Kemp spent a bit of time learning from Green in the early stages of his career and paid tribute to his ability to turn around Queensland Cup team the Wynnum Seagulls after a challenging start to the season.

“I was fortunate enough, he was my kicking and catching coach when I was coming through at the Broncos and he was also my coach when I was at Wynnum,” Kemp said.

“I had a small amount to do with him but in the time I did, it was actually really interesting the year I was at Wynnum I ended up signing with another club to leave but we had a really tough start to the season. Greeny managed to turn the Wynnum Seagulls around and we won the premiership that year.

“He’s a fighter. It’s a very sad day to see Greeny go like that.”

Trophy Points
One month short of 50 years old.

I'm wondering if it was a massive heart attack.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
One month short of 50 years old.

I'm wondering if it was a massive heart attack.

Sounds like it may have been the case, or something along those lines given he apparently hadn't been feeling well.

Sad news! He seemed like a good bloke.

I made a duplicate post so you can remove that one if you like!

Trophy Points
Media are reporting it as suicide.

Nobody saw any signs.

Leaves behind a wife and two kids, and apparently was his kids 9th birthday yesterday.

Fucking mental illness, seriously. Having been at that crossroads twice in my life (and this is really only something that others who have attempted suicide understand), but it has such a hold of you in that moment that nothing else matters. Not family, not loved ones, not a single word. Nothing can stop the determined mind from following through on it.

Unfortunately it really only ends one of two ways: Success, or failure. Thankfully twice I failed.

Psychiatrists believe that there are two types of suicide attempts: Ones that are determined no matter what to end their lives (normally doing an attempt that is highly likely to succeed), and those that are doing it as a cry for help because they feel they have no other option. In many cases though whilst the person is undertaking that suicide attempt, they are not sure what type they are attempting, but rather just wanting "it" to end.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
An absolute tragedy.. It's really sad to know that whatever he was dealing with was too much for him.

That makes a lot of sense.. I know what it's like to be in a place where not even the best things in your life can bring you out of that state.

So sad for all involved. Rest in Paradise Greeny!

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Vale Paul Green. Like most of us in life we have our ups and downs. Fortunately most of us have the ability to get over the problems and move on with life but with others it is far too insurmountable for them to handle. i remember vividly many years ago my brother attempted to take his life and failed. The irony about it was a few years later he was diagnosed with lung cancer and fought it for only 6 months before it took his life 6 months later. He was just 36 years of age when he passed away sadly.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Vale Paul Green. Like most of us in life we have our ups and downs. Fortunately most of us have the ability to get over the problems and move on with life but with others it is far too insurmountable for them to handle. i remember vividly many years ago my brother attempted to take his life and failed. The irony about it was a few years later he was diagnosed with lung cancer and fought it for only 6 months before it took his life 6 months later. He was just 36 years of age when he passed away sadly.

It's sad for those who just can't seem to imagine an end to whatever they're going through.

Really sorry to hear about your loss as well mate.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
Surprised the media didn't utilise this to take shots at us, claiming our main coaching option...

Trophy Points
The NRL should seize his passing to really shine the light on mental health moving forwards.

Players suffer with mental health issues often heavily upon retirement.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
The NRL should seize his passing to really shine the light on mental health moving forwards.

Players suffer with mental health issues often heavily upon retirement.

They could start by looking at who their main sponsors are.. I always find it a bit rich when they try to promote mental health awareness, but the other 99% of the coverage is gambling, booze, etc.