• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News EXCLUSIVE: Gus blows up! Phil Gould runs training after spraying hapless Bulldogs

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Phil Gould has taken the extraordinary step of running a Bulldogs training session on Tuesday after giving the players a fierce spray as Canterbury seeks to snap its six-game losing streak.

In the first major sign of Gould taking a more hands on approach at Belmore, the Bulldogs general manager of football made his presence felt in a team video meeting followed by a field session.

Gould reportedly praised the Bulldogs NSW Cup side for beating Mounties before giving a rocket to halfback Kyle Flanagan and a number of other players.

When the video session and Gould’s analysis was finished, the Bulldogs general manager of football then played a major role in the club’s training session.

It came just weeks after Gould furiously defended the club’s decision to play Flanagan against Premiers Penrith despite having no game time in either trials or the regular season.

“Kyle Flanagan from what I see, and I see most of their training sessions - I’m not part of the coaching staff, I don’t do coaching but I’m around the sessions a lot - Kyle has been heavily involved right throughout the off-season in just about every training session that we’ve had,” he said.

“He’s at every team meeting, he’s at every video session. He’s an integral part of what the club is doing.”

While Gould used his podcast to claim he was not hands on with the players, it was a very different picture at Belmore on Tuesday.

Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett told Fox Sports he was more than comfortable with Gould’s input as Canterbury-Bankstown search for the club’s second win of the season when they meet title contenders the Sydney Roosters on Saturday.

“It’s not the first time Gus has spoken to the players. He and I speak on a daily basis often more than ten times a day,” Barrett said.

“We thought it was a good idea. We had a chat last week about some statistics that we keep and then Gus came in and presented to the team.

“There was a hell of a lot of improvement in the first half against the Broncos but then there were a couple of things that I thought Gus could help us with. It was good.”

Gould was blunt with the Bulldogs playing group around defensive elements of their round seven performance against the Broncos before heading onto Belmore Oval to lead the club’s training session.

“I wanted Gus to have a voice in a certain part of the field and give the team a bit of a rocket around our discipline and our line speed,” Barrett said.

“I’ve absolutely got no dramas with it because Gus can help us. That’s what he’s there for. He’s been terrific for me.

“He wants to win too and we all want results so if he thinks he can help with a couple of things then by all means, help. We’re all in it together.”

The Bulldogs orchestrated a gutsy round one win over the Cowboys in Townsville but have since lost six games straight despite a major off season recruitment drive in terms of the club’s roster.

Canterbury-Bankstown added Matt Burton, Josh Addo-Carr, Tevita Pangai Jnr, Brent Naden, Paul Vaughan and Matt Dufty to the blue and white roster during the off season but so far have been unable to convert the big-name recruits into results.

Gould has previously taken a more hands on role at training during his time as general manager of football at Penrith and even as far back as when he was coaching director at the Sydney Roosters in 2002 when Ricky Stuart was in his first season as an NRL head coach.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
The supporters cant expect miracles in the first year with new players in winning a comp or even making the 8 but getting at least 3 removed from the bottom would sure give us something to look forward to in 2023. At the moment they have seen nothing to lift us off the bottom rung one iota. So boys and coach lift your game before the supporters leave you in droves.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
The supporters cant expect miracles in the first year with new players in winning a comp or even making the 8 but getting at least 3 removed from the bottom would sure give us something to look forward to in 2023. At the moment they have seen nothing to lift us off the bottom rung one iota. So boys and coach lift your game before the supporters leave you in droves.

I think the biggest concern is that we bought players but we're on par or worse than last year.. I dunno I kinda feel bad for Baz because I think players are still struggling with the new rules and you see it at all the bottom teams they just can't turn up for 80 week in week out when constantly on the back foot.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
What a Kent Kent is.
A bit of respect for read for calling it as it is at least.
For the record, I'd like the challenge of being a part of a turn-a-round.
Physical AND MENTAL fitness is shit.
Targeting above would be my aim.
I'd have the top team (including 4 reserves which can come on once per session only) playing constant 40 minute defence sessions against the rest of the top 30 and NSW Cup team with free interchange for the attackers.
Only when they start to hold out the Reggies for most of or all of 40 minutes, will they find some confidence in their defence and in each other.
They NEED to believe in themselves AND each other again.
They NEED to be challenged and pushed in training, daily, ALL day.
So many simple things that can be done to improve them that someone that never played the game due to parental B/S can even see it!
FFS, what hope do we have when we've recruited championship and representative WINNING players to replace a significant portion of the team and we're still LAST?

Trophy Points
Not sure how much truth there is to this.

Telegraph claims Brent Read at The Australian, Fox Sports claims Telegraph.

Meanwhile JAC is taking the piss outta the headline on Instagram/Tiktok, suggesting its BS.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Not sure how much truth there is to this.

Telegraph claims Brent Read at The Australian, Fox Sports claims Telegraph.

Meanwhile JAC is taking the piss outta the headline on Instagram/Tiktok, suggesting its BS.

Well I think it's just the way the media have made it look/sound.. It's stupid how there is all this stigma around coaching I mean ffs coaches have assistance so if you've got a guy at your club who is far more experienced and knows what success looks like then why not use him?

Trophy Points
Well I think it's just the way the media have made it look/sound.. It's stupid how there is all this stigma around coaching I mean ffs coaches have assistance so if you've got a guy at your club who is far more experienced and knows what success looks like then why not use him?
Totally agree, and we all know media exaggerate.

Chance are Gus always has a quick pep talk to the players during the week, and in this instance he's probably gone "okay guys lets go out on the field and we'll look at things there".

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Totally agree, and we all know media exaggerate.

Chance are Gus always has a quick pep talk to the players during the week, and in this instance he's probably gone "okay guys lets go out on the field and we'll look at things there".

Yeah, and regarding my comment I know Trent knows what winning looks like but this team has gotten so used to losing. I dunno it's frustrating because if the attack can just have one great outing together that could be all it takes to build the confidence.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
This 12% winning of any games coached by Barrett is a big worry. Kent is saying Barretts a nice bloke and very honest. Well lots of guys are like that it doesnt make them suitable for the general managers job though.
Phil Rothfields suggesting Gould is too old to be sucessful now. Maybe he should look in the mirror himself if age is the guide.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
one wonders with that winning average why would the dogs have hired Barrett in the first place. it is a well known fact that for some strange reason the media hate the dogs so they all go full bore on Gould stepping in.
They would love to see the club self implode again

Trophy Points
one wonders with that winning average why would the dogs have hired Barrett in the first place.
I'm happy to be corrected, but wasn't Barrett signed up by the Andersons and Co?

it is a well known fact that for some strange reason the media hate the dogs so they all go full bore on Gould stepping in.
Phil Rothfield and Paul Kent hate Gould. For some bizzare reason Rothfields always having a go at him in the Telegraph.

They would love to see the club self implode again
Seems since we signed on with an anti gambling partner the decisions have gone more against us too.