• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Official Finucane set to leave Storm for four-year, $2.5m Sharks deal

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Melbourne Storm champion Dale Finucane will join Cronulla on a monster four-year $2.5 million deal as the Sharks continue a roster overhaul under new coach Craig Fitzgibbon

Finucane has told his Melbourne Storm teammates about moving to the Shire and informed St George Illawarra on Sunday morning he was rejecting the Dragons offer.

The Wests Tigers made a massive last-ditch play but the 29-year-old was already in advanced talks with the Sharks and the Red V.

It’s a huge result for the Sharks who brought Fitzgibbon to the club so the black, white and blue roster could undergo a major overhaul.

The incoming Sharks coach has struck up a strong relationship with Finucane across their involvement with the NSW Blues over the last few seasons.

It’s also a fitting reward for Finucane who is one of the NRL’s most durable forwards and enjoyed enormous success at Melbourne Storm but has done it on a reasonably modest contract around the $400,000 mark.

The Bega product has become one of the game’s leading forwards, playing in six grand finals across his time with Canterbury and the Storm.

Finucane has two premierships to his name along with more than 200 premiership games and five Origin caps for the Blues.

Incoming Sharks coach Fitzgibbon has now landed the signatures of Finucane and emerging superstar Nicho Hynes as he sets about the job of making the Sharks serious premiership contenders.

Cronulla has also re-signed Matt Moylan on a cut-price one-year deal and earlier this week was linked to possibly making a play for Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks.

Trophy Points
Career killer decision for me. Fitzgibbon has no real form and is dealing with a team that already has talent on paper but is highly inconsistent.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
They really need to get Moylan on the park more often.. Nicho is a gun but if he ends up being pared with somebody who isn't up to scratch, he will become easy prey for good defensive outfits.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
Was my concern about chasing him.
Guy is in his twilight years.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
4 years is too long me thinks.

Probably for the Sharks, but I reckon it would have been good for a bottom team who could do with his leadership and setting an example... Tigers throw big contracts at guys like Mbye but enter the race for a Finucane at the 11th hour.. no wonder they never play finals footy