• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News Gold Coast Titans shock NRL by axing coach immediately, replacing him with Des Hasler

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Gold Coast has dropped a rugby league bombshell by sacking coach Justin Holbrook immediately.

Holbrook will be replaced by Des Hasler in the chair in 2024.

Hasler departed Manly last year in messy circumstances.

Holbrook earned a strong reputation as a coach in the Super League, and was signed by the Titans in 2020, but "as the club works towards the 2030 strategy of bringing success, the decision has been made to move in a new direction", the statement on Thursday read.

"We are grateful to Justin for his contribution to the club over the past four seasons," Titans CEO Steve Mitchell said.

"We are here to bring success to the Gold Coast and in order to do so we feel that this is the change necessary to deliver on our promise which is to win premierships."

Gold Coast played one finals game in the three and a half years Holbrook was in charge, and current sits ninth on the competition ladder with six wins from 13 games.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
This is actually pretty funny considering their owner tried to throw shade at us for sacking coaches!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
We could do worse than try and sign Justin as our attack coach, maybe bring Sexton with him.. he knows the club and enjoyed success here.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points

NEW JOB FOR HOLBROOK?

Still on coaches - and the word is that Justin Holbrook won't be out of a job for long.

Holbrook was well and truly ambushed by the Titans - sent packing the morning after Origin II - in a move no one saw coming.

But I've heard at least two Sydney clubs have sounded out Holbrook for an assistant coach role come 2024.

The former Titans coach is well respected in clubland despite his modest results on the glitter strip - an area no coach has really been able to get the best out of since the Gold Coast joined the big league in 1988.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Saw that ^ on a WWOS post. If it's true, I'd suspect one of those teams is the Dogs.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
The last sentence should be all that needs to be said about this.
If the Magpies are passing upon him and they're losing Brooks...

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Fair point. I still can't help but think Rajab and Karl might be our best pairing, maybe try get a senior player in for a year or two to help.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
For me, my hope is to see BBO @ 7 and KO @ 6 evolve into our pairing.
Burton to Lock like Fitler spent the majority of his career.
Rajab's defense is my major issue with him, he simply has to commit his body at a 1st-grade level.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
For me, my hope is to see BBO @ 7 and KO @ 6 evolve into our pairing.
Burton to Lock like Fitler spent the majority of his career.
Rajab's defense is my major issue with him, he simply has to commit his body at a 1st-grade level.

Yeah for sure unless Burton steps it up.

It will be interesting to see how Rajab goes as a starter, because whilst he's looked our most dangerous in recent games, there will be more pressure on him starting.