• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Horsburgh Has All The Ingredients For Origin

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has thrown his support behind Corey Horsburgh as the calls grow louder for the fiery forward to make his State of Origin debut.

A few weeks ago Queensland legend Billy Moore singled Horsburgh out as a “special” player that’s got “Origin written all over him” and the 25-year-old showed that in Friday’s win over the Bulldogs.

Horsburgh finished the game with 148 running metres — the most of any forward on the field — as well as four tackle busts, a linebreak assist, an offload and 26 tackles with zero misses in 62 minutes.

He admitted after the game he’d “love” to pull on a Queensland jersey but he’s not getting ahead of himself.

Stuart, however, was asked if Horsburgh is ready for Origin and didn’t hesitate with his answer.

“Yep (he’s ready for origin),” he said.

“There’s a class footballer and there’s an Origin footballer — he’s got both.”

Horsburgh has been in red-hot form all season and Stuart said it’s come down to him having a “really good off-season.”

The coach was a little worried his comments might be “taken the wrong way” but he believes Horsburgh is in the “form of his career.”

“He’s been so consistent with his form,” Stuart said.

“It’s very easy to get excited after a win, sit here and be all cocky and happy — which I am — but I don’t want my comment to be taken the wrong way.

“He’s had a really good off-season, he was in a bit of rehab for a period but he could run.

“When his season has been inconsistent with his form it’s been because he’s been in rehab for most of the off-season.

“He’s had a really good off-season, he’s started the season (well), he’s been getting really good minutes — he could’ve played 80 tonight and probably could’ve played 80 last week — but I’ve got three middles on the bench.

“Corey Horsburgh’s form has been consistent and it’s the best form of his career. He’s a big part of our middle and helping us win games of footy. I don’t think anyone would see that as an over the top comment if they saw the game tonight. He was class.”

Raiders skipper Elliott Whitehead echoed his coach.

“He’s a quality player and like Ricky said he’s probably in the form of his career,” he said.

“Hopefully he can keep that form and hopefully he gets selected for Origin because he deserves it at the moment.”

Horsburgh is a Caboolture product that joined the Raiders in 2018. The 25-year-old has played 69 NRL games since making his debut in 2019.

He started the season on the bench but was promoted to the starting side in Round 6, punching out 71 minutes in that game and backing it up with a 70-minute effort and 71-minute effort in the weeks following.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
It's not very often that I can feel content with posting an article about a player who just made us look silly, but Corey is one of my favourite non-Bulldog players.. He's one of those guys they tried to meme for being a ranga but when you watch him play he is all heart always... His discipline has let him down in recent years, but he is looking very good this season, and the development of his ball playing has really helped the Raiders in terms of not being so heavily reliant on Jack Wighton.

Queensland have plenty of options, but there's always going to be injuries and what not. I would love to see Big Red in the Origin arena!

Trophy Points
Definitely plays with a lot of heart, and wouldn't have a problem with him joining the club if he ever considered it. Puts in 100% every week.

Just a shame that Qld are absolutely stacked with quality forwards for SOO.

I'd be thinking Papalii, Carrigan, Fa'amasuili, Cotter, Flegler, Capewell.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Definitely plays with a lot of heart, and wouldn't have a problem with him joining the club if he ever considered it. Puts in 100% every week.

Just a shame that Qld are absolutely stacked with quality forwards for SOO.

I'd be thinking Papalii, Carrigan, Fa'amasuili, Cotter, Flegler, Capewell.

It's interesting because papalii always turns up for QLD, but Big Red is definitely Canberra's best forward this year.. he tore us to shreds early on.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
Wonder if hip-drop paranoia will be relaxed by the refs during SOO?
If the case, selecting players that can manage leg tackles would be prudent.