• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Official Phil Gould to be the Bulldogs' new General Manager of Football

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have continued to put important pieces in place to build for the future with the appointment of one of the smartest minds in the game in Phil Gould, as their new General Manager of Football.

Gould has an incredible history in the game at all levels - as a player, coach, manager and commentator. Moreover, he has a deep understanding and respect for the Bulldogs Club and its history.

Having played in 40 First Grade games for the Bulldogs between 1983 and 1985, Gould then coached the Bulldogs to the 1988 Premiership to give the club its sixth out of eight titles.

From there Gould went on to further Premiership success with the Panthers in 1991, before a stunning coaching career with the New South Wales State of Origin side, where he coached the State to four series wins in five seasons between 1992 and 1996, before returning in 2002 to coach the team for three more series, winning two and drawing a third, to make him the most successful New South Wales Coach in history.

Bulldogs Chair John Khoury was delighted that he had been able to bring Gould back to Belmore:

"Phil Gould’s return to our club as GM of Football is phenomenal news for our club, it’s Members, fans and stakeholders.

Phil has a proud association with the Bulldogs, having played for the club before going on to coach the 1988 Premiership winning side.
He was already part of an amazing run of success that the club had during the eighties and his influence during his time here is something that our fans will always be grateful for.

Phil has a great relationship with Head Coach Trent Barrett and we firmly believe that he can help to drive us forward to getting back to where we need to be: namely as a Premiership contender once again.

Bulldogs Chairman Update: John Khoury

A great deal of work went into ensuring we recruited the right person for the Football Manager role and I am delighted that the club will get to benefit from Phil's knowledge and track record of success, as we look to the future."

Phil Gould was also pleased at the chance to work with the Bulldogs:

"My sincere appreciation and thanks to the Canterbury Bulldogs Chairman John Khoury and his Board, for their confidence in appointing me to this very important position.

It’s a wonderful opportunity, with a great club.

It’s an invitation to work hard. I look forward to meeting everyone at the club and working with them to set a course for the future of the Canterbury Bulldogs.
I played with the Bulldogs. This club gifted me my first ever coaching appointment back in 1986. To be returning to the Bulldogs many years later, in this role, is truly exciting.

I look forward to rekindling old friendships, making new friendships, and enjoying the club’s journey back to the top of the National Rugby League”.

Trophy Points
This is HUGE knews. Fuck... how far has the club come since the Andersons got arsed. Seriously I remember copping so much shit over it and yet turns out I was right all along.

Penrith 2.0 here as come.

Trophy Points

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
This is HUGE knews. Fuck... how far has the club come since the Andersons got arsed. Seriously I remember copping so much shit over it and yet turns out I was right all along.

Penrith 2.0 here as come.

it sucks given what that family has done for the club, but it had to happen.

it just seems like the right fit given that Gus is a former player and coach of the Dogs and I think the club will start to get its identity back over the next few years

credit where credit is due.. Khoury and co stuck to their guns and got their man

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
We havent had much good news of late out of the dogs camp but this is the best news this year. I wanted him a few years ago but he is coming and now you all watch the media think twice about rubbishing the dogs. A big tick to the board for this placement.
Couldn't have come at a better time !

Trophy Points
Good interview with Gus here about taking on the role. Bulldogs are also okay with him assisting the Warriors need be.

Sounds like John Khoury was a masterstroke in this, keeping it from everyone (even staff) until he was signed.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2021/07/17/gould-announces-appointment-on-channel-9/

I wonder if he'll seek a coaching director to work alongside Barrett now.

Gus's intimate knowledge about the Panthers Academy from the ground up will be invaluable moving forwards. Not to mention knowing the New Zealand development academy!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
One of the biggest issues we have, is that we have struggled for years to convert quality juniors into solid first graders.. Not that it's too late by any means, but Ogden and Atoni should be well established in the top grade by now, among other's

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
with Gould at the club, you see how many other players hovering out there about their next club , suddenly decide that the dogs might be the best option after all. I am sure there will be more good signings to come as a result of Phil gould joining us

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
with Gould at the club, you see how many other players hovering out there about their next club , suddenly decide that the dogs might be the best option after all. I am sure there will be more good signings to come as a result of Phil gould joining us

it's funny, but it's actually the best time we could be at the bottom because bar the top 4, no clubs are overly appealing right now, maybe Manly to play with Tommy Turbo, but any advantage we can get such as this appointment puts us in a really good position to secure talent like you say

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Maybe Manly did us a favour thrashing us cos obviously it hurt Gould badly too and he decided enough was enough and signed with us

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
anyway im off to zzz been working my ass off in the garden all day shifting 300kgs of blue metal from my car and wheelbarrowing around the back of the house and laying it down as a path. Wishing you all happy days ahead

Trophy Points
Might be the tipping point for signing Tevita Pangai Jnr, given that Tigers are a dumpster fire these days.