• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Recycled meat: Would you eat 'pagpag'? - BBC World Service

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Ever wonder what happens to restaurant leftovers? In the Philippine capital, Manila, meat is recycled from landfill tips, washed and re-cooked. It's called "pagpag" and it's eaten by the poorest people who can't afford to buy fresh meat. Extreme poverty has resulted in the emergence of pagpag, which has turned the practice of making it into a profitable business.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
As bad as it is to learn of situations like this, what makes it as bad as it is for me, is the discarded cigarettes and seeing the roaches. I mean don't get me wrong it's still not great if the food is directly put into trucks and taken to a location for processing, but any improvement counts.

It really bums me out that society today is taught to glorify these high-profile people who have more money than they could ever need, and yet there are people in the world living like this.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
If my life depended upon it, I'd go beg first.

Agree that societies priorities are shyte.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Same.

I'm no mr perfect myself but I think if this type of story was in the news more the world would be much different.

Trophy Points
Wow... interesting but I wonder how healthy it is really for them.

I'll eat some stuff within boundaries, but if it was off meat I wouldn't.

Another thing it highlights is how much food wastage there is over there.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Wow... interesting but I wonder how healthy it is really for them.

I'll eat some stuff within boundaries, but if it was off meat I wouldn't.

Another thing it highlights is how much food wastage there is over there.

It's interesting when you think about the kids who are brought up eating it. Like to them it would be their normal.

The crazy part is they probably still are a relatively conservative country in terms of food waste.

I remember we housed a Hungarian for a couple of months, and this guy would go into Dixon House and would never have to wait to get a full meal in, just from abandoned meals.