• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Why Brian To’o started wearing headgear ... but can’t finish a game with it still on

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
For weeks, Panthers winger Brian To’o has worn headgear at the start of games but often returns for the second half without it.

In last week’s preliminary final against Melbourne, he didn’t even make it to half-time before ripping it off and throwing it to a trainer.

Among the questions To’o has had to answer during grand final week, the greatest intrigue was about his headgear.

To’o had played his whole career without it but then, against Manly in round six this year, he ran onto the field sporting Madison headgear.

Why did he start wearing it? And why, if the headgear was so important, was he unable to finish a game with it still on?

The winger facetiously raises the safety benefits, but there is more to it than that.

“It was to piss off ‘Critta’,” he says, referring to close friend Stephen Crichton, who started wearing headgear last year because of a gash on his ear.

“That’s why I wear it all the time. The more it kept annoying him, the more I kept putting it on. He always tells me, ‘Stop copying me’. I wanted to wear it even more because he hated it. If he’s not happy with it, I’ll wear it. He just hates it.

“He said, ‘You won’t wear it for the game’. That made me want to wear it every game.”

Further investigation, by questioning Crichton, leads to more detail about Too’s motivations.

“He said to me, ‘You look like an idiot, why would you do that?’, then the next training session he ran out with headgear on,” Crichton said.

“He did it once at training and he made a line break against our NSW Cup side, so he said he would try it on the weekend. Then he scored a double first time wearing it in a game so [it was], ‘I want to copy Critta and wear the headgear’. Anyone who asks him though, he’ll tell them it’s for safety.”

Recently, viewers have noticed the headgear doesn’t last until the end of the game.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I only decided to read this because I was bored, but it's actually pretty funny.