• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News Why Flanagan deserves ‘one more chance’ and the ‘perfect buy’ that puts Dogs back into finals frame.

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Why Flanagan deserves ‘one more chance’ and the ‘perfect buy’ that puts Dogs back into finals frame​

Darcie McDonald from Fox Sports
February 16th, 2022 2:30 pm

For the first time in a long time, the Bulldogs can be considered a genuine chance to play finals footy.
The word out of every NRL club at the start of a season that they will make the eight and push for the premiership — no matter where they finished the year before. And the Bulldogs are no different.
The right intention has always been there — and so has the attitude. But truth be told, they just haven’t had the roster to do it for the last few years.
That's finally changed.

Coach Trent Barrett has added nine new faces to his squad. Two are premiership-winners and two have represented New South Wales and Australia.

That type of success and winning culture is what Braith Anasta believes the club has been missing. Anasta would know a thing or two about success in Belmore — the last time the Bulldogs won a premiership he was wearing the No.6 jersey.
“I think the Bulldogs need to bring back that aura and I can see it happening. They’ve bought winners and passionate people — and that’s what matters the most,” Anasta told foxsports.com.au.
But it’s important for the club to now focus on balancing the star-power the new recruits bring with the uncompromising work ethic the club is known for, according to James Graham. He also would know a thing or two about success at the Bulldogs — the last time the club made a grand final he had the ‘c’ next to his name.

“They’ve certainly got the talent now. They’ve always been a team that’s worked hard and even though they’ve lost their way the last couple of years it’s not been through lack of effort,” Graham told foxsports.com.au.
“They’ve got some real quality in there now so it’s all about blending that in and making sure they don’t just focus on that new talent they’ve got and the speed, they’ve got to maintain that work ethic that the Bulldogs are known for.”

With new blood in the mix, Anasta believes the Bulldogs can make the eight this year. But he stressed that even finishing ninth or 10th is still a win because 2023 — when Reed Mahoney and Viliame Kikau join the pack — is their “big one.”
“I’m going to have them eighth,” he said.
“I think anything above 10th is a success for this year. I know they wouldn’t think that as a club, but I think the year after is their big one. They’ve got a new squad with new players in key positions so they could have a few teething problems there but I love the way in which they’re heading. I think eighth would be a really good result.”

THE NEW BREED
Matt Burton, Josh Addo-Carr, Tevita Pangai Jr, Paul Vaughan, Matt Dufty, Brent Naden, Josh Cook, Braidon Burns, Max King and Reece Hoffman. It’s an impressive list — and one that Anasta and Graham agree the Dogs faithful should be excited about.
The one area that stuck out as a must-fix last season was the halves. Although he didn’t play a lot of footy, Kieran Foran provided that sense of stability. But when he moved back to Manly, new coach Barrett played trial and error throughout 2021 to find his winning combination.
Burton not only brings back that sense of stability, he was one of the game’s biggest success stories last season and he’s only 21-years old.
When asked who the most important singing of the bunch is, Graham said: “That’s an easy one, it’s Matt Burton.
“There was a lot of conjecture last year when he signed with the Dogs, they were trying to get him early and you can see why.
“There was that game last year where Penrith played Melbourne and I think Nathan Cleary was out and Burton just stood up. It was just amazing to see.

“Sometimes you see young lads and they’re just in a good team and that makes look good. But with Burton, that’s when he really shone more.
“He’s probably the one that’ll get hands on the ball the most out of all of the new players, he plays an important position in the halves. At the same time, it’s a lot of pressure on a young lad but it’s nothing he hasn’t had already so no doubt he’ll take it in his stride.”
Anasta believes Burton will be the club’s most important play long term, but for he also couldn’t go past Pangai Jr.
“An area that I think they’ve struggled with is that impact in the forwards so Vaughan and Pangai Jr could change their whole dynamic as a team,” he said.
“Pangai Jr’s just the player they needed. They needed a strong, damaging runner with an offload creating second phase (play) and giving time and space to their halves who have really had no time and space the last couple of years.”

The pair also acknowledged just how much Addo-Carr adds to the Bulldogs’ culture.
“‘Foxx’ knows what it takes to win a premiership. He’s a genuine finisher and there’s no substitute for speed. He’s the perfect buy, he’s a great guy, he’s funny and the fans love him,” Anasta said.
“He knows how to win games and he’s a superstar as well, he really is, he’s one of the superstars of our game,” Graham added.
“He’s got pace to burn which is what everyone focuses on but that mentality (is important too).
“It’s been an interesting story watching his career progress. At the Tigers he couldn’t find his way into the team and he’s obviously worked incredibly hard on his game and how he applies himself.
“He’s a champion player from a champion club and he’ll be looking to rub off on some of those players at Canterbury that haven’t had the best years.”

SOLVING THE HALVES CONUNDRUM
Burton’s signing solves one half of the playmaking issues in Belmore, but what about the other half?
Kyle Flanagan, Jake Averillo and Brandon Wakeham are the three names in the mix.
Flanagan’s tumultuous 2021 season has been well-documented and Wakeham seemed to fall down the in the pecking order.
Averillo played 21 games last season either at five-eighth or halfback but Anasta believes his playing style won’t complement Burton’s — which is why Flanagan should get the first shot instead.

“Averillo, I love him as a player and I think he should be in the team, but I see him and Burton as a bit similar,” he said.
“Burton probably just needs someone to steer the side around, with a good kicking game and get the game plan on so to speak to let Burton just have eyes up and see what’s on.
“I’d lean to Flanagan and Wakeham. I’d probably give ‘Flanno’ the first shot because I think they’re games could suit each other
“I’d have Averillo there if they need him — and as I said I love Averillo, I think he’s a great player — but I think they’d get in each other’s way a bit just as a combo.”

FLANAGAN’S ONE LAST SHOT
Flanagan really has had the NRL baptism of fire. He was shown the door by the Roosters after just one season and has struggled to recover ever since.
The 23-year-old already carries around a heap of pressure given his dad coached the Sharks to their maiden premiership, but stick the No.7 on his back and he finds himself in a position that not many would envy.
Anasta has a lot of belief in Flanagan and wants to see him succeed, but he conceded this could be the halfback’s last shot to prove he belongs in the NRL.
“I feel sorry for ‘Flanno’, he’s been under a lot of pressure, he’s copped a lot of heat — we’ve all been there before,” Anasta said.
“He knows he’s probably got one more chance, so give him that chance and if that doesn’t work then I’d probably go to Wakeham, then Averillo.”
Anasta knows the pressure all too well. He spent 15 years in the NRL limelight as a player and he’s now on the other side, in the media, where his job is to analyse players.

He has some advice for Flanagan to help him ensure this his best season yet.
“Don’t listen to the noise,” Anasta advised.
“I’d go back and watch some footage of his days in the 20s when he won the comp and his early days with the Roosters too because sometimes you can talk yourself into losing confidence and belief.
“You can forget that you ever did what you did. But he’s shown it, he’s proven it on the big stage. Go and watch it, get some confidence and don’t listen to anyone.
“Go out there and do you’re thing — that’s my advice.”

Coach: Trent Barrett
Captain: Josh Jackson
2021 finish: 16th
INS: Matt Burton (Panthers), Josh Addo-Carr (Storm), Brent Naden (Panthers), Matt Dufty (Dragons), Paul Vaughan (Dragons), Tevita Pangai Jr (Panthers), Josh Cook (Rabbitohs), Max King (Storm), Braidon Burns (Rabbitohs), Reece Hoffman (Tigers)
OUTS: Nick Cotric (Raiders), Nick Meaney (Storm), Renouf Atoni (Roosters), Will Hopoate (St Helens), Adam Elliott (Raiders), Dylan Napa (Catalans), Chris Smith, Christian Crichton (both Panthers), Kiko Manu (Broncos), Ofahiki Ogden (Eels), John Asiata (Leigh Centurions), James Roumanos (Sea Eagles), Lachlan Lewis, Sione Katoa, Dean Britt, Brad Deitz, Watson Heleta (all unsigned)

Full squad: Josh Addo-Carr (2025), Paul Alamoti (2023), Corey Allan (2023), Jake Averillo (2023), Bailey Biondi-Odo (2023), Braidon Burns (2023), Matt Burton (2023, PO 2024), Josh Cook (2023), Matt Doorey (2022), Matt Dufty (2022), Raymond Faitala-Mariner (2022), Kyle Flanagan (2023), Jack Hetherington (2022, MO 2023), Reece Hoffman (2022), Josh Jackson (2023), Tui Katoa (2022), Max King (2022), Jeremy Marshall-King (2022, PO 2023), Brent Naden (2023), Jayden Okunbor (2023), Tevita Pangai Jr (2024), Chris Patolo (2023), Aaron Schoupp (2024), Ava Seumanufagai (2023), Joe Stimson (2022), Luke Thompson (2023), Jackson Topine (2022), Paul Vaughan (2022), Corey Waddell (2023), Brandon Wakeham (2022)

Best 17:
1. Matt Dufty
2. Jayden Okunbor
3. Aaron Schoupp
4. Brent Naden
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Matt Burton
7. Kyle Flanagan
8. Paul Vaughan
9. Jeremy Marshall-King

10. Luke Thompson
11. Jack Hetherington
12. Tevita Pangai Jr
13. Josh Jackson
14. Jake Averillo
15. Ava Seumanufagai
16. Max King
17. Raymond Faitala-Mariner

Prediction finish: 10th

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I'm happy to see Kyle get a few chances I mean shit it was his second season in a very inexperienced squad who were not playing good field position. Nobody else we have had in the halves has done any better.

I suspect in a better squad he will be a much more confident version of himself. Having a good forward pack makes a huge difference.

Trophy Points
He needs to hit the ground running and start 2022 as a completely reinvented player, because he'll get only a few chances to prove himself before others will take his spot.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
if Averillo doesn't step up over the coming weeks Trent has got to give Kyle a crack, or try BBO in the halves.. Burton will become a target for defenders if he doesn't get help from his halves partner soon.

Trophy Points
if Averillo doesn't step up over the coming weeks Trent has got to give Kyle a crack, or try BBO in the halves.. Burton will become a target for defenders if he doesn't get help from his halves partner soon.
Totally agree, same with Okunbor. Borrowed time if they dont fire.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Totally agree, same with Okunbor. Borrowed time if they dont fire.

I think Trent might be playing the "not using too many players" game and as you said in the other post, waiting for Allan to return and partner Burnes.