• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News ‘I was trying to hold out’: Dogs star opens up on vaccine drama, confirms Tigers interest.

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Trophy Points

‘I was trying to hold out’: Dogs star opens up on vaccine drama, confirms Tigers interest​

Darcie McDonald from Fox Sports
February 17th, 2022 7:11 am

Luke Thompson has opened up on the Covid-19 vaccination drama that sparked links to an early release late last year.
The star prop also confirmed that there was “interest” from the Wests Tigers, however he declared he “really loves it” at the Bulldogs and has no intention of going elsewhere.
Thompson was one of a few big-name players to initially refuse the vaccination during the off-season.

The NRL chose not to mandate the jab and instead left the decision in the clubs’ hands. It’s understood the Bulldogs asked all players to be double-vaccinated by November 1.
As a result of Thompson’s stance, the Bulldogs were said to be considering an early release for Thompson — who is signed until the end of 2023 — but the 26-year-old ended up getting the jab in order to return to training.

There were reports claiming Thompson and the Bulldogs were butting heads over the matter however, in his first interview since the saga, the Englishman revealed he told the club from the very beginning that he would always consider getting vaccinated if he needed to in order to play. Thompson was given the green light from the Bulldogs to miss the first two weeks of pre-season training with the view to return once New South Wales’ government’s restrictions for the unvaccinated were lifted on December 1st.

However when that day was delayed for another two weeks, Thompson — who is “all sorted” for Round 1 — understood that he needed to get the jab in order to fulfil his contractual obligations.
“I was just trying to hold out for as long as I could. But when the government put the date back I had to get it,” he told foxsports.com.au.
“The NRL hasn’t mandated (the vaccination) but I said to the Bulldogs all along that ‘I really don’t want to get it but if it’s ever going to affect the team or me being able to play or train then I will consider getting it’.

“The government set the date to December 1st for everyone to be able to go to gyms and stuff, but then they put the date back to the 15th, which meant I was going to miss another two weeks of pre-season. So I just had to get it because that’s what’s best for the team.
“I missed two weeks, the club gave me two weeks off. I set up a gym at home to train and was doing all right but when the government put the date back I couldn’t afford to sit out another two weeks so I just got it, which is what I said I’d do all along if it was going to affect the team.”

The possibility of Thompson and the Bulldogs parting ways sent the rumour mill into a spin. He was linked to the Tigers, where good friend Oliver Gildart now plays, and reportedly offered to the Storm by a third party.
While Thompson didn’t address the Storm link, he did confirm the Tigers were interested in him but it never really got off the ground.
“I think there was a bit of interest from the Wests Tigers last year but with the new squad at the Bulldogs, I didn’t want to (leave),” he said.

“I’m settled here and enjoying it. I wanted to stay here so that was that really.”
Thompson is enjoying the input of the new faces this season — including club legend Willie Mason who has joined the coaching staff.
“Willie’s been in during pre-season twice a week to do a bit of skills. It’s good having him around for a bit of advice. He’s been there and done it,” he said.
“There’s been a good buzz around the place. Having more experience here has been good as well — especially for the younger guys. There’s definitely a good feel around the place.”
The likes of Josh Addo-Carr, Matt Dufty and Brent Naden add speed to the backline, Matt Burton will star in the halves, while the addition of Paul Vaughan and Tevita Pangai Jr bolster the forward pack.

Thompson welcomes the “important” competition for spots — something the club hasn’t had for a while — and can see Pangai Jr playing a key role for the Dogs.
“He’s a good lad, I enjoy having him around. He’s pretty quiet but I reckon on the field he’ll be good for us,” he said.

Thompson is also backing teammate Jack Hetherington to make a successful switch to the edge. Hetherington played 16 games at prop before shifting to the second row in the final game of the season.
Coach Trent Barrett has confirmed the fiery forward will stay there for the club’s first trial game against the Knights on Monday.
“I think (the second row) suits him,” Thompson said of Hetherington.
“He’s athletic and fast, he shouldn’t have too much trouble moving out wide. I think it’ll be good for him.”

Trophy Points
Another great article from Darcie, which shows that Thompson isn't going anywhere and loves it at the club.

I'm excited to see what he can do with some support and quality players around him this year.

Tigers are a basket case of a club, thankfully he didn't consider them too much!