• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

‘It's supposed to be hard’: Panthers star praises Ciraldo amid Bulldogs drama

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

News / Live Score Link
https://news.com.au
Cameron Ciraldo has been criticised for his coaching style, but the Bulldogs mentor has received staunch support from a Panthers star.

Panthers fullback Dylan Edwards has leapt to the defence of Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo, saying long days at training are required to make a team stronger, having worked under the besieged coach for years at Penrith.

The Bulldogs have been in the headlines for all the wrong reasons after it emerged a player walked out on the club last month after he was forced to wrestle members of the squad as a punishment for being late to training.

Leaked texts have suggested there’s a toxic culture at the club, with some players unhappy with the training load, but Ciraldo is adamant that the hard work will help save the struggling club in the years to come.

Ciraldo coached Edwards for two years in the under-20s and was an assistant coach at the Panthers for their back-to-back titles before he moved to Belmore this season on a five-year deal.

“If his character is being called into question that definitely surprises me, if that's what’s happening,” Edwards said.

“His character and the person he is, there aren’t too many people out there like him. It’d be disappointing if that’s what’s happening. I can’t speak highly enough of him as a coach and as a person.

“He’s a great coach and a great person who really cares about your family and cares about you as a person, too.

“He was the best coach for me while he was here. I can’t speak highly enough of him. I wouldn’t be where I am today without Ciro. It’s hard to see him copping it.”

All clubs have punishments for players who rock up late or do something wrong, and Edwards says that’s no different at the Panthers where high standards have turned them into one of the best teams of the NRL era.

“We’ve got a fine system for punishments, but that’s just what we do here,” he said.

“I think NRL is hard, so you have to train hard and prepare hard to give yourself the best opportunity to be successful. Training is hard. It’s supposed to be hard.

“It can be (long days) but it depends on how the training schedule is set up. Some days might be a bit longer than others, but you've just got to do what you’ve got to do to be successful.”

Roosters coach Trent Robinson also backed the embattled coach, saying some players actually thrive from punishments in the long run.

“You set your principles and your values in place, as a club, and then you adhere to them. It’s uncomfortable,” he said.

“It’s not that hard to be really clear on standards and then adhere to them. If you’re not doing that, then there is often punishment. There is either silent punishment in life, like we all have if we don’t follow standards.

“We have fines and there’s lots of things in life where punishment comes out if you don’t adhere to that. And it’s no different in a footy club, but it has to be elevating as well.

“People like punishment to be honest. Players when they don’t do the right thing and they get punished, in some ways, they enjoy that.

“But that punishment needs to be elevating in nature. It needs to be something that they learn a lesson but can also grow from.”

Ciraldo’s former club remains near the top of the table, with Edwards revealing he and his star teammates are likely to face the Cowboys on Saturday even if the Broncos wrap up the minor premiership.

The vibe out west is great, with a number of players congratulating Edwards on Thursday after he signed a lucrative new deal to stay at the club until 2028 even though he could have attracted bigger offers if he’d waited until November 1.

“This is home for me, so I never really thought of holding out or going to free agency. That’s not the person I am,” he said.

“I’d rather stay at home and be comfortable with where I am. My family is here, my mates are here and everything’s here.

“I’m not really sure what the value would have been out there. The club was always going to do a fair deal for them and me, so I think that’s where we got to.”

The 27-year-old said he felt a bit homesick when he first joined the club, but the kid from Dorrigo can’t imagine ever leaving the club that has turned him into a superstar.

The reigning Clive Churchill Medal winner could be part of a dynasty, with a number of key players signed long term, but that doesn’t include injured five-eighth Jarome Luai, who will be the most sought after player if he hits the open market.

“He’s such a big part of our side,” Edwards said.

“Hopefully, the club and he can come to a deal, but in saying that, Romey has to do what he needs to do. I’ll back him and whatever decision he makes.”