• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News ‘Ruining the game’: Phil Gould launches fresh attack at NRL officiating after Bulldogs drama

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Bulldogs general manager Phil Gould has renewed his attack on the NRL’s Bunker following a series of controversial refereeing decisions in Round 12.

Gould has been an outspoken critic of the game’s increasing use of technology, but there are lingering concerns over a potential conflict of interest between his position at the Bulldogs and his role with Channel Nine.

Powerbrokers at rival NRL clubs have privately complained that Gould uses his role in the media to push Canterbury’s agenda.

The 65-year-old argued the referees had been given “too much control” in a fresh attack on the NRL’s officiating on 100% Footyon Monday night.

“The one thing that was advised to me 30 years ago by very smart people in this game, do not give referees control of the rule book, do not give referees control of video refereeing,” he said.

“It’s been a disaster, it’s been an absolute disaster … they get it wrong a lot.”

Gould referenced the Bulldogs’ thrilling 20-18 victory over the Titans, where Canterbury hooker Reed Mahoney was incorrectly put on report for a suspected hip-drop tackle, but Gold Coast captain Tino Fa’asuamaleaui went unpunished after forcing Mahoney off the field for an HIA.

Panel member Danny Weidler then told Gould he wasn’t “allowed” to talk about the Bulldogs in the media.

“I can talk about Bulldogs any time I like, particularly when they get it wrong, and they get it wrong a lot,” Gould continued.

“You can single out incidents in every single game.

“You know why there’s so much wrong? It’s the nitpicking in the Bunker.

“They must have a giant magnifying glass in there sometimes to pick up stuff that no one could possibly see. It goes on every week, the nitpicking by the Bunker to disallow a try, they want to find something that no one else can find, they want to find it and spoil the moment.

“It’s ridiculous and it’s ruining the game.

“The problem with that is our officials keep supporting it and saying you can’t criticise it and saying they should be allowed to continue what they’re doing, that’s ruining the game as well.”

Gould also suggested the officials themselves were divided over the use of technology, insinuating NRL referee Gerard Sutton enjoys sending players off the field.

“You have to simplify the whole lot,” he said.

“There is a whole lot there to unravel. The referees are extremely divided on this on how they’re told to referee and the systems they’ve got in place.

“Go and talk to referees and retired referees about the process and everything that happens down there. They hate it.”

Earlier this month, NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo met with Bulldogs powerbrokers to discuss Gould’s high-profile commentary role and his outspoken view on the game, News Corp reports.

“This is definitely not about silencing anyone in the media,” Abdo said at the time.

“There’s a reason why club officials aren’t able to comment when a matter is live because we don’t want the perception of that influencing the decision-makers.

“Clearly my conversation with the Bulldogs was just around registered club officials not breaching the rules.

“If there’s a matter that’s live, for example either a matter that relates to the match review or the judiciary or an integrity matter, the rules don’t permit players or officials accredited under those rules to talk openly about it.

“That’s what the conversation was about.”

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
...the rules don’t permit players or officials accredited under those rules to talk openly about it.
So, the NRL is an authoritarian dictatorship, eh Mr Abdo?
Are you that afraid of free speech, you forbade anyone involved within the organisation from speaking out against it?
Are you afraid of constructive criticism?
Is it due to a lack of solutions, so you rather stick your head in the sand Andrew?
From the outside, that is how it appears.
If not, be open to us fans and explain without patronising us with stupid half-truths and corporate effluent.
Without us, you have no product to market, thus your job no longer is required.
We ARE the game, hear us!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I honestly would be fine with no video technology. I mean yeah there will be some howlers, but we're seeing them anyway, and if anything the referees come under more scrutiny because we do have the technology.

I would like to see the referees take full control and ownership of that area, and I'd like to see the second referee make a return, seeing as decisions will be made in real time it will help stamp some of the bias out.

I definitely don't think there is blatant cheating going on (except maybe for Souths), but the fact the referees are told to get a "feel for the game" can really benefit the top teams in particular who tend to play more open games where the team's decide the results, unlike lower placed teams who often play penalty-athons. All games bar maybe Origin should be policed the same.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
Origin should have its own penalty/suspension system so it does not affect clubs and vice versa.
Two ref's on the field, one does ruck, the other does the 10m line and they don't swap to ensure consistency for both sides.
Bunker with 3/5 ex-players that are not gronks/biased, who independently rule on decisions and the majority goes.
Who rules what is publicly visible for transparency, so if one consistently gets it wrong, they're booted.
Change current rules with too much grey area to a black/white style, or remove them entirely if not possible and replace them with one that can be judged as an absolute.

You have my number Andrew, feel free to forward consultation payment details, or employment offer via that medium.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Haha. If they persist with the Bunker just let them call on shit they need to, or like blatant fouls.. not grey area "hip drops" and such. Pretty much what you're referring too.

Trophy Points
Video Ref Bunker should be able to rule on anything, with the onfield ref passing those decisions down on field.