• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News Addo Carrs Bulldogs sales pitch to Storm team mates.

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Fox in the henhouse: Addo-Carr’s Canterbury sales pitch to Storm mates​

By Christian Nicolussi

May 7, 2021 — 12.42pm

Melbourne’s six-try hero Josh Addo-Carr has started his Canterbury recruitment drive after Storm teammates revealed the winger had been selling the merits of a move to Belmore.

And Storm hooker Brandon Smith said he had spoken with Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett during a chance meeting last week.

Addo-Carr was brilliant during the Storm’s 50-0 demolition of South Sydney on Thursday night, claiming the first six-try haul in rugby league since Newtown’s Jack Troy in achieved the feat in 1951.

The player known as the “Fox” will play for the Bulldogs next year, and after catching up over breakfast with Barrett last week, he hopes a few more Storm players will follow him.

Smith, who is considering a change of club next year, said he had bumped into Barrett and Addo-Carr at a cafe. The Storm utility said the chance to continue playing with the winger was appealing.
“It’s tempting when he scores six tries like that,” Smith said. “We haven’t sorted anything out like that [moving to Belmore]. The Storm are pretty stubborn with keeping me. I don’t mind."

“I was going to brekkie at a place we usually go to brekkie in Richmond. Josh was there with him [Barrett]. I introduced myself to him, we spoke and he offered me ‘$4m for three months’, so I thought, ‘I’ll take it’,” Smith joked.
“We’d spoken before. He gave me a call a while ago, but that was during the off-season when the Storm had allowed me to talk to other clubs."

“This was nothing along the lines of what my future is. It was an innocent meeting. We didn’t go into any details. He seems like a really good guy."
“But Joshy has been in everyone’s ear, he wants a lot of these players [here] to follow him and knows what they’re building at the club. There must be something special going on. That Matt Burton will attract a lot of players, and they’ve signed Brent Naden."

“The thing Josh offers is not just good value on the field - he can turn nothing into a try - but it’s his energy when you’re going to training, when you start the pre-season. It’s infectious, and it makes everyone happy around the club. He’s a guy you want to be around all the time.”

Smith is contracted to the Storm until the end of next year, but has been given the chance to find another club for 2022 as Harry Grant is viewed as the long-term No.9.

Melbourne have made it clear they will only cut Smith loose if they are able to sign a player of similar quality and experience, which will prove difficult given the Kiwi’s impact for the Storm.

Addo-Carr has no regrets about his big-money move to Canterbury despite near-constant success at Melbourne.

The international winger was meant to be in Sydney this year for family reasons, but the summer negotiations descended into a “shitfight” and he returned to Melbourne.

“I know what it takes to win premierships and I know what it takes to be a consistent football player. I love helping people, and if I can do that next year [at Canterbury], then happy days,” he said.
“They’re building and they definitely try hard.
“That’s what you need in rugby league games, players competing in everything. They need to fix a few things up but I’m sure they’ll keep improving every week.
“I’m excited to go there next year and I’m excited for the challenge. I moved to Melbourne to step out of my comfort zone, but why can’t I go to Canterbury and build something special?”

Addo-Carr knows it will be sad farewelling Melbourne, the club that helped turn him into a top player.
“If you get an opportunity to go to Melbourne take it, because they’ll turn you into the footy player you’ve always dreamt of being,” he said.

Trophy Points
Much the same article is regurgitated here (https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/33ab39674cfcfee0bf87420130465ff6).

Brandon Smith contract: Melbourne hooker reveals secret meeting with Trent Barrett​

The push to get Brandon Smith to Belmore next season is heating up, giving the Bulldogs hopes their biggest gap could about to be filled.

Nick Walshaw - News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
May 7, 2021 - 11:55AM

Melbourne hooker Brandon Smith has revealed he is being urged, almost daily, to switch to Canterbury next year while also confirming a recent breakfast meeting with Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett, joking: “He offered me four million”.

Despite being contracted with Storm until the end of 2022, 24-year-old Smith has approached club officials about looking elsewhere given the rise of fellow hooker, and Queensland Origin incumbent, Harry Grant.

Recently, it was reported the ‘Block of Cheese’ had secretly met at a Melbourne cafe with Barrett, who has already signed Storm flyer Josh Addo-Carr.

Yet while the cult figure described a move to Belmore next season as “tempting” — and said he was being urged to do so constantly by Addo-Carr — he stressed there was nothing formally discussed over breakfast with the Dogs coach.
In fact, the No. 9 said he only stumbled across Barrett and Foxx while looking to grab an early morning feed at his local cafe.
“We all live in Richmond,” Smith said of the Storm squad. “All within 2km of each other. I went down to our local cafe and Josh was there with (Barrett), so I went and introduced myself. I went up to him, we spoke and he offered me four million."
“(Laughs) So I said, ‘yeah I’ll take it’.”

Told the Bulldogs needed a hooker, Smith grinned: “They do”.

So what chance you do take Addo-Carr’s advice and follow him to Canterbury then?

“It’s tempting when he scores six tries,” Smith said, referencing the flyer’s record Thursday Night Football haul in Melbourne’s 50-0 win over South Sydney.
“But at the moment we haven’t sorted anything out like that. I think the Storm are pretty stubborn about keeping me and I don’t mind. If I keep playing good my future will sort itself out.”

Asked if he had spoken with Barrett back in December, when the club confirmed Smith would be released if an “appropriate arrangement” could be found, the rake continued: “I have spoken to him before. He gave me a call a while ago. That was during the off-season when the Storm had allowed me to go talk with other clubs. But nothing along the lines of what we do. We didn’t get into details.”

But the Foxx is always in your ear, right?
“Yes, of course,” Cheese laughed. “He’s getting in everyone’s ear because he would love to get a lot of these players to follow him and what they’re building at the club. They must have something special going on because they’ve got Matt Burton who I’m sure will attract a lot of players, and that centre from Penrith, Brent Naden.”

Asked if Addo-Carr could potentially persuade a fella north to Sydney, Smith continued: “For sure.
“Because Josh doesn’t just add value on the field through his ability to turn nothing into a try, his energy when you go into training, every day, it’s infectious.
“He’s one of those guys you just want to be around all the time. Whether it’s having coffee with him, dinner, or busting your arse training with him, he’s one of those players that you really want to be around. I’ve got an infectious energy myself so when he starts doing his thing I start doing mine. It’s good for everyone.”

Trophy Points
Hmmm certainly sounds like he's considering it (or already done it and playing coy).

Finucane, and Hynes off contract end of this year with Storm.
Paps and Welch off contract next year along with others.

boxer

THE BOSS
Trophy Points
If the storms told him to look at other clubs why are they being stubborn to let him go?

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Lol gotta love how they're still trying to run with the "chance meeting" story.. I think T Baz will go hard for Brandon Smith after watching the team this season.. JAC and Burton are both competitors but Brandon is just a straight up bully.. he would not have looked out of place in our 2004 side

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
the media are going to try and pump this narrative up now, of Foxx trying to convince team mates to jump ship, even though it's only the one guy who was looking for somewhere to play hooker before JAC had even signed with us

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
If we get Smith and Papa as well, I'd be happy.
Give them both Kaota's and JMK to seal the deal.
Shit, they can have Napa as well, whilst reminding them of what they did to Finucane.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
If only but its akin to trading a tried and proven racehorse with an unknown erratic unpredictable yearling. Wait a minute Katoa and JMK are so predictable we all know what they are going to do before they do it.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
wait a minute trade our captain to Melbourne for Finucane . As it was back when he left us for Melbourne I thought he was better than our captain even then. We gave up the wrong player.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Lets hope Ado Carr doesn't catch the dreaded bulldog "doof " disease "Definitely out of form"
If he does he will be lucky to score 6 tries with us all season let alone in one game.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Lets hope Ado Carr doesn't catch the dreaded bulldog "doof " disease "Definitely out of form"
If he does he will be lucky to score 6 tries with us all season let alone in one game.

we desperately need the incoming players to change the culture because the coach can't do it if the players who are already here are comfortable with a loser culture

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
we desperately need the incoming players to change the culture because the coach can't do it if the players who are already here are comfortable with a loser culture
Well out of 5 players we bought for this season only 1 stands out and that is Cotric but even he has gone off the boil, one is suspended cos he can't keep his hands to himself and a half back who can't take right options, a second rower whom misses so many tackles its not funny and Corey Allen who has shown nothing since he left souths. In summing up they were all a waste of space. So on that form how many more duds are we buying? Begs the question if players are coming here for all the wrong reasons re the money and fuck the game .

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Well out of 5 players we bought for this season only 1 stands out and that is Cotric but even he has gone off the boil, one is suspended cos he can't keep his hands to himself and a half back who can't take right options, a second rower whom misses so many tackles its not funny and Corey Allen who has shown nothing since he left souths. In summing up they were all a waste of space. So on that form how many more duds are we buying? Begs the question if players are coming here for all the wrong reasons re the money and fuck the game .

I still think we'll get more out of them when the new troops arrive but yeah it's been a waste of a season.. it's really tough because guys like Cotric and Allen get no room at all to move.. our lack of go forward, our poor service from dummy, and our kicking game is killing us

Trophy Points
Problem is with our recruitment being played out in the media, and "talent" of some of these guys, they'll know that it's game over for them next season (in terms of a career), because its unlikely they'll get offered a contract elsewhere (even by Broncos).

So they've kicked into "don't give a shit" mode.

BomberBurton

Trophy Points
I still think we'll get more out of them when the new troops arrive but yeah it's been a waste of a season.. it's really tough because guys like Cotric and Allen get no room at all to move.. our lack of go forward, our poor service from dummy, and our kicking game is killing us
Our forwards did make some breaks yet had no one baking them up!

BomberBurton

Trophy Points
yeah we need to take a leaf out of the Roosters book and have forwards running in 2s and 3s... their little offloads are reminiscent of Bulldogs 2012.. very effective though and offload or not, it keeps opposition guessing
Not only that, yet if our backs want the ball and free space, why are they not backing up?
There were several times yesterday that even the commentators asked the question where the backs were, as the forwards had made strong runs and had no one to offload to.