• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News Bulldogs legend Paul Langmack's inspirational role helping youths fight mental health demons

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Bulldogs legend Paul Langmack is taking an old world approach to helping thousands of youngsters deal with new world problems.

Langmack comes from the school of hard knocks - he's a public housing 'graduate' who never went to university.

And he is using his no-nonsense mentality to reach out to kids throughout New South Wales suffering from depression, bullying, anxiety, low self esteem and in danger of self harm.

"I have no proper education but I come from the school of life," Langmack, a hero of Canterbury's ruthless team in the 1980s told Wide World of Sports.

"I won my first comp with the Bulldogs in 1984 and a few months after that, we went to play a game of touch footy against the inmates of Long Bay jail - and three blokes I went to school with were in their team!

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F4465e4bd-cd42-4ca0-8937-48a53dc6cc61
Paul Langmack pictured in action for the Canterbury Bulldogs during the 1988 season (Mark Douglas Baker/Fairfax Media)
"So I've known all sorts of people and had plenty of ups and downs in my own life.

"I've had cancer, had depression, been a coach and sacked as a coach, been on TV… at times I've really struggled.

"When I played footy, I had real jobs … I ran service stations and a Hungry Jacks franchise.

"I made money, I lost money but I learned as I went along.

"The New South Rugby League through their boss Dave Trodden gave me this opportunity to spread the message to young kids and I'm forever grateful to them.

"I know a lot of them think I'm an old dickhead, but I reckon I get through to most of them and they listen.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F0e6e7780-0beb-46a3-b46a-4e071a6ead50
Paul Langmack pictured with Bulldogs young gun Karl Oloapu (Facebook)
"I take two counsellors with me and they help if there are any signs of kids who look in danger of self harming."

Langmack believes the modern generation has it too easy.

"They think they know it all because they can google stuff," he said.

"When we did something bad when I was a kid, we got a whack on the arse … and we didn't do it again. Well of course you can't do that anymore and it's a different world now.

"When I talk to them, some of the kids give me hell. But the cheekier the kids are, the more I like it - I fire back and rip into them and it takes them by surprise because no one does that anymore.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F5e1c491f-e715-44dd-88ff-0305711e7a4f
Paul Langmack crosses over for a try during the 1986 season (Fairfax Media)
"I believe I can get through to them and make a difference.

"It's not just rugby league players either - last week I went out to Griffith to talk to school kids and I spoke to a bunch of rowers the other day.

"We get funding from the state government and they have been a big help too.

"There are a lot of people who need help and a lot of them are stressed and lonely.

"They may think I'm a dope but I tell kids not to give up on themselves and on life.

"My motto is to have a little fun every day and if you make one person smile, you've done a good job."

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Always love these stories. For many people it can be as simple as just being around adults who they can get comfortable around.. get comfortable with opening up, etc.. most people have friends or people they can vent to online or whatever, but they need to let it out in person.. when you hold onto things it builds up and can cause all sorts of problems. I know some of you will understand what I'm referring too.