• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News Bulldogs need a halfback and fast.

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Trophy Points
  • August 24, 2020 6:14am
  • by SIMON BRUNSDON, MARK ST JOHN AND DARCIE MCDONALD
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

BULLDOGS NEED A HALFBACK AND FAST

If the Bulldogs are to climb off the bottom of the ladder either this season or under new coach Trent Barrett then they need to recruit a halfback.

Lachlan Lewis has been found wanting with his fifth tackle options this season and Jack Cogger also struggled in the role in the Bulldogs 20-14 loss to the Warriors.

The Bulldogs led 14-6 early in the second half and that is a position where your halves need to step up and ice the win.

Confoundingly the ball found itself in Cogger’s hands more than veteran Kieran Foran in the final half hour of the match and the Warriors took advantage by scoring the last three tries of the match.

Cogger was guilty of some poor kicks as the Bulldogs struggled to establish field position to get themselves some try-scoring opportunities.

It is amazing that the Bulldogs low-balled Foran because without the former New Zealand playmaker Trent Barrett’s halves cupboard looks very bare next season.

Trophy Points
Whilst I agree with the article mostly, I think Cogger is still worth persevering with over all other current halves. He's young and needs the experience of working with an established half. Of course our clubs decided to shaft that option, so who knows how bad we'll be next year.

I'd have liked to see what 12 months of Foran and Cogger combination could come up with, and we could have had we not persisted with Lewis during Pays reign.

Speaking of Foran...

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-investigates-pangai-jnr-third-party-deals-20200822-p55ocx.html
In the doghouse
The Bulldogs’ lack of interest in signing Kieran Foran to a long-term deal is understandable given his injury run. But Foran is entitled to be unhappy with the role incoming coach Trent Barrett has played. Apart from Barrett telling the veteran playmaker he wanted him at the club, he also called on Foran, who has influence in the playing group, for support as he campaigned for the job.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
One of Cogger or Wakeham will do well under Barrett I think.. Cogger has improved but his kicking exclusively down the throat of RTS was hard to watch

Kempsey Dog

Squad Member
Trophy Points
what a shit article... shit on Cogger but his edge didnt leak all the points either.

Kempsey Dog

Squad Member
Trophy Points
One of Cogger or Wakeham will do well under Barrett I think.. Cogger has improved but his kicking exclusively down the throat of RTS was hard to watch
He needs Kimmorley as his halves coach. Doesnt have the longest boot on him, needs to be taught how to better set himself up to dig into the line on the 4th or 5th and drive the ball low and hard into space like Brett did. Of course having a better middle third and 9 to provide quick service would help.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
He needs Kimmorley as his halves coach. Doesnt have the longest boot on him, needs to be taught how to better set himself up to dig into the line on the 4th or 5th and drive the ball low and hard into space like Brett did. Of course having a better middle third and 9 to provide quick service would help.

I think Wakeham has the best kick selection out of the two.. and I like the way he tries to build a game with his kicking... I'd just like to see him with a bit more urgency because he often gets caught with the ball

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Appears we have already signed Blake Green for 12 months from Newcastle for next year. Another old boy on one leg do they ever learn this club. Apparently not.

Very sad I am afraid and unless the board changes its narrow thinking we are in for another tough year next year.

Trophy Points
Well, green will be here next year assuming his ACL repair goes well.

Green and Cogger are they too alike though?

Seems in 2021 we'll go hard for Burton, but we'll need to lock him in fast if thats the plan. Problem is, unless he's been granted permission to look around, we can't make an offer until Nov (due to anti poaching clauses). Panthers will probably extend him before that.

I suspect the idea might be to have Cogger spend a year alongside Green as I see similarities in their game. Cogger shoudl be played the rest of this year alongside Foran to gain as much experience as possible.

That is unless we aren't retaining Cogger (and hoping Wakeham/Lewis workout in 2021).

Nutboy

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Green is such a nothing player. Has a decent kicking game but is really non existent when it comes to creativity and is a meh game manager..

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Green and Cogger are they too alike though?

Seems in 2021 we'll go hard for Burton, but we'll need to lock him in fast if thats the plan. Problem is, unless he's been granted permission to look around, we can't make an offer until Nov (due to anti poaching clauses). Panthers will probably extend him before that.

I suspect the idea might be to have Cogger spend a year alongside Green as I see similarities in their game. Cogger shoudl be played the rest of this year alongside Foran to gain as much experience as possible.

That is unless we aren't retaining Cogger (and hoping Wakeham/Lewis workout in 2021).

Green is future Cogger lol but after watching Jack kick to RTS all game I don't mind if he is never sighted in FG again.. that right there gave Warriors all the momentum in the second half

Trophy Points
Green is such a nothing player. Has a decent kicking game but is really non existent when it comes to creativity and is a meh game manager..
Would you prefer Lewis, Green or Foran? Because thats literally our choices.

Bad Billy

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I don’t know why so much hate for green?
He was great this year for the warriors.
Theres fuck all, quality halves available and he is by far the best of them.

K E

Eat Up Martha
Trophy Points
Guess he's a security blanket signing in case (in the likely scenario) we don't buy an established half for next year.

Hope we're getting a half to break their contract like practically every other club does to us.

Trophy Points
I don’t know why so much hate for green?
He was great this year for the warriors.
Theres fuck all, quality halves available and he is by far the best of them.
Tend to agree... he's a safe option and a cool head who plays similar to Foran, just without the breakdowns every other week.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Ever notice how Kieran could not get on the park for long when he had the man bun? I mean I know he had some injuries pre bun, but it can't be a coincidence that he has had his best run of late, post bun..

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Ever notice how Kieran could not get on the park for long when he had the man bun? I mean I know he had some injuries pre bun, but it can't be a coincidence that he has had his best run of late, post bun..
did he get rid of the bung hair as well as leg lol