• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Game Cleary’s stunning response as recalled star, debutant shines: NSW Player Ratings

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Nathan Cleary responded to his critics with a stunning performance in New South Wales’ 44-12 win over Queensland.

Cleary copped a lot of criticism after game one but shone as the Blues’ best on Sunday with two tries, two try assists, two linebreaks, a linebreak assist, six tackle busts and 68 running metres.

James Tedesco, as expected, was a standout but Jarome Luai has a lot of room for improvement.

Jake Trbojevic made the most of his opportunity after being recalled to the side and Matt Burton was outstanding on debut.

Player ratings:

1. JAMES TEDESCO 8.5

Bounced around like the Energiser Bunny all night in a typically silky display from the NSW captain. Outstanding performance.

2. BRIAN TO’O 6.5

A nervous moment early when lost sight of a bouncing ball in the NSW in-goal. Composed himself to submit a typically robust game. Scored a critical try on the stroke of halftime.

3. MATT BURTON 8

Gun player. Showed true class to handle the occasion even if he wasn’t heavily involved in the opening 15 minutes. Stepped up when the Blues needed to score a brilliant try off a Nathan Cleary cross-field grubber kick. Some of the floating bombs had funnel webs on them.

4. STEPHEN CRICHTON 6

Still finding his feet on rugby league’s biggest stage. Bad miss to allow Kalyn Ponga to cut the Blues open from midfield for the Cameron Munster try in the opening half.

5. DANIEL TUPOU 7

Busy coming out of yardage, safe under the high ball and a genuine attacking threat in decent field position. Justified selection even if he did throw a wild pass early in the second half.

6. JAROME LUAI 5

Awful opening 40 minutes giving away a crucial penalty and missing two critical tackles. Particularly bad read on Felise Kaufusi for the opening try of the game. Made amends in the second half with a good try but Maroons were out on feet by that stage.

7. NATHAN CLEARY 9

Due for an epic performance and delivered right on cue. Produced the full array of tricks in attack from the Matt Burton grubber to the floating pass to Daniel Tupou to a pair of tries once the Maroons were on the back foot.

8. PAYNE HAAS 7

Took the tough carries early by simply tucking the ball under the wing and then getting the Blues quick play-the-balls for a fast platform.

9. APISAI KOROISAU 8

Superb. Brilliant guile and craft out of dummy-half set the tempo of the game up for the Blues prior to the controversial Felise Kaufusi sin binning.

10. JAKE TRBOJEVIC 8.5

The Blues best forward was shades of Bradley Clyde and Ray Price. Rubber stamped return to the Origin arena by tightening up the middle of the field for the Blues.

11. CAMERON MURRAY 7

Typically work-a-holic performance. Forced off early for an HIA and a badly cut ear. Busy with and without the ball either side of the spell.

12. LIAM MARTIN 7

Public Enemy no.1 for the Maroons submitted just what NSW needed from him. Bustling and effective, Martin more than held his hands up.

13. ISAAH YEO 7.5

Completely different influence on the game without the head knock in the opening tackle. Critical link in the middle and combination with Cleary and Api Korisau was outstanding.

14. DAMIEN COOK 6.5

Complimented the inclusion of Api Korisau perfectly and looked a genuine running threat out of dummy-half. Smart selection moving him to the bench.

15. ANGUS CRICHTON 7

Entered into proceedings early doors when Cam Murray was forced off and always looks like belongs in the furnace of Origin football.

16. JUNIOR PAULO 7.5

Alongside Jake Turbo among the Blues best forwards. Looked to have altered his mentality to run first with every touch. Still found some clever offloads.

17. SIOSIFA TALAKAI 5

Only got a start once the game was already over but looks like will handle the arena.

TOTAL: 121

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
What an outstanding display by Cleary after game one.. I've got so much confidence they'll take the series, and winning 3-0 in Queensland last year will give them plenty of confidence.

As good as Nathan was, for me the game was won on the first half despite the close scoreline and sin bin.. you could tell QLD were having a hard time in the middle and cracks were forming.

I reckon the Jake T and Cam Murray starting combo in defence is just about the best in Blued history.. both have great line speed and make a heap of strong tackles, particularly Jake.

Api was also a huge difference.. Queensland had a hard time playing a similar defensive game to game 1 due to his craftiness and fast service.

Fucking awesome performance.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
one criticism I have and many may well not agree with me but James Tedesco although he is all over the field darting here and there, often loses ground, and tends to want to hog the ball and score himself all the time cutting off the outside backs and wingers. He has to work more with them at times.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
one criticism I have and many may well not agree with me but James Tedesco although he is all over the field darting here and there, often loses ground, and tends to want to hog the ball and score himself all the time cutting off the outside backs and wingers. He has to work more with them at times.

Yeah, like I can tell what Teddy does is really effective as far as wearing defenders down and disrupting their line, but it would be nice to see more passing from him.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
interesting comment on 7 news sport last night when interviewing Burton, they asked him if he was looking fro another team as he is off contract after next year under player option and he said he was not at this time but he wished he knew whom the new coach for the dogs was going to be before he considers further committment and its a fair comment . Like I have said many times before if the dogs board does not hurry up and make a decision and tell the players and us fans whom the new coach will be soon they could lose more important players in their structure and invoke more ire from their supporter base .

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
interesting comment on 7 news sport last night when interviewing Burton, they asked him if he was looking fro another team as he is off contract after next year under player option and he said he was not at this time but he wished he knew whom the new coach for the dogs was going to be before he considers further committment and its a fair comment . Like I have said many times before if the dogs board does not hurry up and make a decision and tell the players and us fans whom the new coach will be soon they could lose more important players in their structure and invoke more ire from their supporter base .
sitting on the fence only weakens it make note dogs board

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points

This is where I have my question marks on Potter because I really get the sense the team are having just as much input as he is, as that's what seems to be being suggested in interviews.. Braith and James Graham have both said Potter's coaching is "simple", and I don't think they are referring to the fact he keeps things simple.

Potter is a good interim coach but Burton, along with other's will be looking to be highly competitive next year, not in 3 years time.. that's why I was hoping for all his flaws that we'd sign Shane Flanagan because we need a winner, we need a coach with the fire still burning. If Mick was that he'd be making his intentions known.

Gus might be confident given what Matt has said to him, or what Matt's actions suggest, but the fact he's mentioned the coach to the media and it's not just his manager talking really suggests we need action.. and not just for Burton's sake either.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
This is where I have my question marks on Potter because I really get the sense the team are having just as much input as he is, as that's what seems to be being suggested in interviews.. Braith and James Graham have both said Potter's coaching is "simple", and I don't think they are referring to the fact he keeps things simple.

Potter is a good interim coach but Burton, along with other's will be looking to be highly competitive next year, not in 3 years time.. that's why I was hoping for all his flaws that we'd sign Shane Flanagan because we need a winner, we need a coach with the fire still burning. If Mick was that he'd be making his intentions known.

Gus might be confident given what Matt has said to him, or what Matt's actions suggest, but the fact he's mentioned the coach to the media and it's not just his manager talking really suggests we need action.. and not just for Burton's sake either.
Howard you are spot on we need action now so the players know what is going on for their futures too or we go back to square one again. Maybe no coach wants to take us on apart from Flanagan and we think Gould isnt keen on the idea so wtf is going on?
We are so close as a club to closing the stable door after the horse has bolted considering Wests are still on the lookout for a new coach and we may lose the only decent one available

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Howard you are spot on we need action now so the players know what is going on for their futures too or we go back to square one again. Maybe no coach wants to take us on apart from Flanagan and we think Gould isnt keen on the idea so wtf is going on?
We are so close as a club to closing the stable door after the horse has bolted considering Wests are still on the lookout for a new coach and we may lose the only decent one available

I can understand the hesitancy towards Flanno and the image of the club, the Kyle situation etc but we can't risk losing Burton, and while I think it's unlikely he'll leave, like you say we can't wait for Wests and New Zealand to potentially snap up the best options.