• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Dogs duo on the chopping block as Gould swings axe; Tigers plot roster clean-out: Transfer Whispers

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

The Bulldogs have reportedly given both Paul Alamoti and Jake Averillo permission to test the open market is a shock move.

Salary cap pressures have been cited as the reason behind the duo’s potential exit as the Belmore-based club hunt for a halfback according to WWOS.

Both Alamoti and Averillo are without contracts for the 2024 season and at least one of the duo will have to depart the Bulldogs.

Alamoti, 19, has previously been linked with the Cowboys and was spotted in Sydney meeting with head coach Todd Payten.

The young gun is highly touted and is only 13 games in to his NRL career, scoring one try so far this season.

Meanwhile, Averillo has also played 13 games this season, adding to his 67 total first grade appearances.

The 22-year-old has been impressive so far this season, scoring seven tries to go with two try assists and eight line breaks.

Trophy Points
Averillo is a must keep. Been brilliant under Ciraldo, and can get better. People forget he's only 22.

Alamoti is still really young, but I'm not sold on him yet. Strong as an ox, but his pace is way off.

That said, this rumour has come about due to Tony Adams (WWOS Mole) reporting it. He also reported in the same article that the Bulldogs had 3 high paid centres, and listed Burton as one.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
The only issue with Averillo is that a lot of his best moments are on the back of team plays. He is not imposing to the better centres of the competition. He'd be great in a good team but if Xerri plays centre you'd think he'd be a better option.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I think if he puts some size on over the pre season he could be very good. That's his main issue atm he us easily handled by the better/bigger centres.

Alamoti is a hard one I mean it's his first season in a struggling team, but when we do play well he looks good.

Trophy Points
Alamoti debuted too soon to waaaay too much hype.

Needed a season killing it in NSW Cup before being brought into NRL.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I can't help but wonder if Alamoti would have been better served on the right side where he was most effective in Cup. His speed also let's him down a lot, he'd probably be better as a forward.

Trophy Points
I can't help but wonder if Alamoti would have been better served on the right side where he was most effective in Cup. His speed also let's him down a lot, he'd probably be better as a forward.
I don't think the club ever really saw him as a long term centre. Was always inferred he'd be in second row.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I don't think the club ever really saw him as a long term centre. Was always inferred he'd be in second row.

It's just a shame he doesn't move quicker because he's got power and an offload. Though at the end of the day he's still so young and we don't know what his ceiling is.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
I can't help but wonder if Alamoti would have been better served in Reggies for another year.
Sadly he was drawing too much attention to leave him there, alas other clubs would have agitated a release (glares at the COCKS) so forced our hand in playing him in 1st grade earlier than ideal.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I honestly think Averillo should be on the wing. He's got the pace, and is a good finisher. He just lacks the physical presence for centre. I suppose another year in Reggie's would have been beneficial in that regard also, as he was very small when he came into grade. Time in the halves probably set him back slightly as well.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
Is something I've mused over as well tbh.
His defensive deficiencies would be less out wide, yet he would need a gun centre beside him.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
We've got some powerful young blokes coming through. I reckon Skelton centre Jake wing would be a good combo in attack, not sure about defence