• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News Dolphins granted licence to become NRL's 17th team in 2023

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
The Dolphins will become the 17th NRL team to enter the Telstra Premiership from 2023 after being granted a licence in an historic announcement made by the ARL Commission on Wednesday.

The NRL Telstra Premiership will expand to a 26-round competition as part of the Dolphins' entry with every team continuing to play 24 games in the regular season.

The total number of regular season games will increase from 192 to 204 with teams receiving two byes.

“Today is an exciting moment in the history of our game. The NRL Telstra Premiership will expand to 17 teams in 2023 and on behalf of the Commission I would like to congratulate The Dolphins on being granted the 17th licence,’’ ARLC chairman Peter V'landys said.

“I would also like to acknowledge and thank the other bid teams for the work they put into their submissions. All three bids were of the highest calibre and highlight the strength of rugby league in Queensland.”

Mr V’landys said expanding the game in Queensland was vital to the long-term growth of the sport.

“Rugby League is part of Queensland’s DNA and to have 4 teams based in Queensland will further strengthen our game as the No.1 sport in the State,’’ he said.

“The key to long term success is growth. By growing the NRL Telstra Premiership we create more fans, encourage more participants and increase commercial investment in rugby league.

“Expansion is also a really important part of our participation strategy. It will be a condition of the licence that the Dolphins spend $2 million every year on participation and growing the women’s game in Southeast Queensland. Our focus over the next year is revitalising our participation strategy and The Dolphins will be an important part of that in Queensland.”

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Good timing given that the Queensland teams are struggling and players from North of the border tend to want to play for the Storm, now they can stay in Queensland and get a crack under Bennett. I know there's the whole "there's not enough talent in the NRL" but the reality is that the talent is there, it's just the environment to thrive is lacking at a lot of the bottom clubs, and as much as I can't stand the carry on about Wayne, he does get the best out of most of the players that he coaches, and he will attract quality senior men to get them started, be it Munster, or whoever.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
So they've dropped "Redcliff" and are just "The Dolphins" I don't get that I mean are we now not supposed to associate Redcliff with the team?

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
So they've dropped "Redcliff" and are just "The Dolphins" I don't get that I mean are we now not supposed to associate Redcliff with the team?
Doesnt make one ounce of sense when every other team has a place associated with it what wrong with the "Redcliffe Dolphins" we have the Cronulla Sharks the Canterbury Bulldogs the south sydney Rabbits and the Rorting Roosters etc etc

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Victoria in association with the NRL announces a second team from Dandenong in keeping with other team names it will be called the Dandenong Dickheads"

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Doesnt make one ounce of sense when every other team has a place associated with it what wrong with the "Redcliffe Dolphins" we have the Cronulla Sharks the Canterbury Bulldogs the south sydney Rabbits and the Rorting Roosters etc etc

haha Rorting Roosters... You make a good point, but where on Earth is Vodafone located? lol jokes aside I know the fans will all call "The Dolphins" Redcliffe so it might not be the name in their eyes but it certainly will be the unofficial name

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
On another note, REDCLIFFE could do worse than pick up Lachlan Lewis as a depth player... they won't have to pay him much and there's a guy when called upon will tackle all day

Trophy Points
On another note, REDCLIFFE could do worse than pick up Lachlan Lewis as a depth player... they won't have to pay him much and there's a guy when called upon will tackle all day
Yeah be a smart move picking up him, Napa and Elliott. They are going to need a full roster which will be tricky.

Also Tolman I think is off contract.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Having Bennett there will obviously help, he will get players over the line.. I think a lot of guys will be keen to be a part of something new

Trophy Points
Yeah finally snagged another player. Maybe they are banking on a stack of talent off contract in 2022, and having a huge buying spree then.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Yeah finally snagged another player. Maybe they are banking on a stack of talent off contract in 2022, and having a huge buying spree then.

Yeah, Wayne's been around long enough to know how things fall into place. They need look no further than what happened this year and how we ended up with Dufty and Vaughan to know that there's always going to be options

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I hope Kyle has has a better season next year but I have a feeling he will end up in the super league. I'm surprised SL clubs aren't throwing the bank at Shane ..or maybe some have tried