• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Official EXCLUSIVE: Crichton gone to the Dogs on $3.3m as Gus builds Canterbury Panthers

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

It’s official - Stephen Crichton will be a Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldog in 2024 with the two-time premiership-winning Penrith centre to ink a four-year deal in excess of $3.3 million.

In the latest major recruitment coup for Canterbury-Bankstown’s rebuild under new coach Cameron Ciraldo, Crichton will become the third member of Penrith’s premiership-winning squad in blue and white joining Matt Burton and Viliame Kikau next season.

The Bulldogs have been smart in playing the long game by sitting back and waiting for Crichton to become available on the open market.

Once that happened on Monday, Canterbury-Bankstown kingpin Phil Gould and Ciraldo have quickly moved to ensure Crichton will be at Belmore in 2024.

Whether Crichton plays fullback or in the centres with the Bulldogs is still to be determined but what is not up for debate is the strength of Canterbury-Bankstown’s roster rolling forward.

In a further warning sign for premiers Penrith as they feel the salary cap squeeze of building success, young gun front rower Spencer Leniu is a strong chance of becoming the next member of the Panthers to also join the new-look Bulldogs.

Leniu, 22, is off contract at the end of this year and with rival clubs all looking to sharpen their rosters the Panthers are in danger of losing another pedigree local junior.

Crichton’s departure to the Bulldogs next year will mean the Panthers have now lost eight players from the premiership-winning sides of the past two seasons - Burton, Kikau, Api Koroisau, Kurt Capewell, Charlie Staines, Paul Momorovski and Tyrone May.

But the enormous advantage the Panthers have is the world’s biggest rugby league junior nursery which saw eight local juniors feature in last year’s grand final side.

Prop forward Leniu was one of them and could easily become the latest example of the price of success the Panthers are now paying.

Good judges have long regarded Leniu as the prototype for the modern day front-row forward and in most other NRL sides there’s no question the Samoan international would be a starting prop.

But the premiers have James Fisher-Harris - widely regarded as among the top three front rowers in the NRL - and Moses Leota as their starting front rowers.

Where it gets delicate is new Bulldogs coach Ciraldo has a handshake agreement with Panthers coach Ivan Cleary about refraining from raiding Penrith’s outstanding production line of talent.

In the case of Crichton, the Bulldogs were patient and it’s only been in the last 72 hours were a series of meetings with Gould and Ciraldo have paved the way for the move to Canterbury-Bankstown next year to be rubber-stamped.

Ciraldo did a nine-year apprenticeship at Penrith starting as an under 20s assistant coach in 2014 before graduating to work as Cleary’s right-hand man in the NRL over the course of the past five seasons.

The next order of business for the Bulldogs on the recruitment front will be whether halfback Mitchell Moses opts to leave Parramatta to join arch-rivals Canterbury for 2024.

The Wests Tigers also remain at the negotiating table in terms of trying to secure Moses with the Concord-based club believed to have tabled a deal worth around the $1.5 million per season mark.

The Eels are still also very much at the negotiating table with the prized No.7.

Trophy Points
Building an absolutely lethal backline.

Really it's just our #7 that needs sorting out before 2024, and we'd have to be the dark horse for that year.

I reckon Moses is done with Tigers, they can't even organise I visa for Bateman in time for seasons start. Eels he has some time to think about, likewise time to see how Dogs kick off the new season.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
Crichton, Xerri, JAC alone would be enough to give oppositions nightmares.
Speed to burn for days and talent galore.
Leaves two spots to fill, with maybe one being FB.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I haven't lost faith in Kyle.. He's a solid defender and hard worker so Ciraldo will recognise that and realise he can put more time into his attack.. also playing off the back of Mahoney will make a world of difference.

Crichton has been signed as a fullback, but worst case scenario he is solid on both edges.. sure it won't be ideal to be paying him that much as a centre, but we're still going to be moving up the ladder with these signings and that's what matters right now.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I wonder what would happen if say a Perham gets a run in the 1 and kills it.. yeah sorry Stephen you're back in the centres

Trophy Points
I wonder what would happen if say a Perham gets a run in the 1 and kills it.. yeah sorry Stephen you're back in the centres
Be interesting to see how Averillo goes too. Playing for his career this season.

I don't think we've seen anywhere remotely close to Averillo's best yet.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Be interesting to see how Averillo goes too. Playing for his career this season.

I don't think we've seen anywhere remotely close to Averillo's best yet.

I hate to say it but I think he is going to be the odd man out. There are other guys with higher ceilings.. But you never know, he could go all Dylan Edwards and have some ridiculous pre-season

Trophy Points
I hate to say it but I think he is going to be the odd man out. There are other guys with higher ceilings.. But you never know, he could go all Dylan Edwards and have some ridiculous pre-season
He could also turn into a Peachey style super sub.

I mean he can cover the backline, halves, and probably everything except prop need be.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
He could also turn into a Peachey style super sub.

I mean he can cover the backline, halves, and probably everything except prop need be.

yeah not sure hey but I just get the sense they will look to move him on seeing as we have so many back line options and then you've got Nu Brown with Rajab coming through and even BBO to cover spine positions

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
Need to be a Barba v2.0 to seal the position, no that I mind if someone does absolutely kill it in the 1 jersey.