• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Finals Footy Talk Thread

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Well it's finally the end of another average season, but at least there's still some exciting footy to be played.. this is a thread to discuss anything finals footy that's not worthy of a top level post!

I dunno about you guys but I still feel like Penrith are just about unbeatable.. Parra will make it hard next week but it's hard to back against Penrith who will be playing relatively fresh at home. If they do get up, there's no way a busted team is going to knock them off in the prelim.

I'd give Roosters a massive chance if they were in the top 4, but they'll be wounded having to play Souths twice in two weeks.

Sharks are a smokey for mine.. a lot of people aren't giving them a chance because of their draw this year, but for me they've gotten better as the season has gone on, and they should win pretty comfortably against the Cowboys.

Trophy Points
Cowboys and Panthers Grand final for me I reckon.

Wouldn't mind seeing Payten get a premiership in his maiden year as coach!

Actually (correct me if wrong) but I just realised Souths (Demetriou), Sharks (Fitzgibbon), Cowboys (Payten) are all rookie coaches in top 8. Pretty good really.. 2 in top 4 as well!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I don't personally find Cowboys to be all that convincing.. they just don't have the ruthlessness or amount of key (finals) players like Panthers and Roosters do..

They're pretty good across the park but I reckon their forwards in particular probably need another season or two to be able to match it with the stronger packs. My opinion of course.

Sharkies are going under the radar due to not having won many bigger games but that's mostly due to their draw, but they'll have a good crack.

Fitzy and Payten have both done a good job with their respective sides.

Fitzy in particular gives me real hope with Ciraldo coming on board.. Fitzy obviously has more runs on the board but they seem pretty similar both in defensive systems as well as how they're regarded by players and club.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
so as it stands Penrith still look like they'll lap anybody they meet in the GF. Tough game for 60 minutes.

Raiders have shown some resilience to fight off a Storm comeback. Good game.

Cowboys were pretty much gifted their win from 2 Holmes dives, one resulting in a no try to Sharks, the other a sin bin. Average game, good spectacle.

What will tomorrow dish up?! this one has potential to be game of the round.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Come on Panthers!!!!

Who do you guys want to take it out? I did want Penrith to win but now that Parra are through I'd be stoked for that group.. they're a good tight knit group of players and you never hear anything bad about any of them.

Trophy Points
I'm confused on the point of that chart and what point it's trying to make.

Come on Panthers!!!!

Who do you guys want to take it out? I did want Penrith to win but now that Parra are through I'd be stoked for that group.. they're a good tight knit group of players and you never hear anything bad about any of them.
For me it's a win win and I honestly don't mind who takes it out.

I'm not really a hater on the Panthers, and Eels deserve one as it's been a long time coming. I don't mind either fanbase really.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I'm confused on the point of that chart and what point it's trying to make.

For me it's a win win and I honestly don't mind who takes it out.

I'm not really a hater on the Panthers, and Eels deserve one as it's been a long time coming. I don't mind either fanbase really.

Hahaha yeah I know it's all over the shop, it's meant to be about how often teams make grand finals but he's added too many columns, like why even add the "finals" column

Yeah, this is the first grand final in a while where I don't care who wins but am leaning towards the team who haven't tasted Grand final victory (bar Matterson).

Trophy Points
Hahaha yeah I know it's all over the shop, it's meant to be about how often teams make grand finals but he's added too many columns, like why even add the "finals" column

Yeah, this is the first grand final in a while where I don't care who wins but am leaning towards the team who haven't tasted Grand final victory (bar Matterson).
The stats are wrong though, because Bulldogs were formed in 1934, but never actually played a season until 1935, as they were confirmed to be coming into the comp late in 1934 after the season had ended.

Would be like saying the Dolphins started in 2022.