• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Fitness thread

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Having light forwards is the problem. If you get beaten in the middle you can't do sh*t

Trophy Points
That's awesome mate. I don't do a lot of running myself, but every now and then I will do running in like week or fortnight clusters.. I go and jog at the regional park that's near my place, anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour... when I am in a mood I will often sprint for much of the last lap.. feels so good.

Hahah yeah Dogs have so much stamina! it's interesting because if a human spent so much time laying, there's no way they will just be getting up and running.

Yeah I can't run sustained for that long, and I think 400m was really about my limit back in school days before tapering off.

Having the right footwear makes a big difference too. If I'm on footpaths I'll wear my Kmart runners/exercise shoes (which I'm suprised how good they are). If on trails I'd be using my hiking boots, and not really running.

Ticked over about 3kms tonight with bursts of running, and in the end I went to take off for a run, and he's like "nah dad we are slow jogging this one". I'm like "AH HA I found your limit".

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Yeah I can't run sustained for that long, and I think 400m was really about my limit back in school days before tapering off.

Having the right footwear makes a big difference too. If I'm on footpaths I'll wear my Kmart runners/exercise shoes (which I'm suprised how good they are). If on trails I'd be using my hiking boots, and not really running.

Ticked over about 3kms tonight with bursts of running, and in the end I went to take off for a run, and he's like "nah dad we are slow jogging this one". I'm like "AH HA I found your limit".

ahh true.. I'm 6"3 so running the longer distances was relatively easy for me, and I was always really good at Cross Country.

Yeah I feel that. I mostly wear trainers because a lot of the walks I do including bush is mostly standard terrain, although at some point I'd like to get some hiking boots just for that extra support on longer missions.

Haha yeah wow. That's pretty rare for a dog but I suppose after a while the thrill wears off as well. I think with dogs it must really feel good for them to get that energy release they would when running.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
Burton is part of the problem. He does not have the intent he once did.
Burton should be our Lock.
It is where Brad Fittler excelled after playing Centre, then 5/8.
It is a position big on running at the line and gaps in the line and passing.
He still will be a ballplayer and able to put in kicks too.

BBO & Oloaopu for our future 1/2's partnership
Cockinher is a forward.
Give some of our juniors a run to see what they've got, as we've done with Preston.
Ditch those that are not performing for them.
This will give our top 30 the ass-kicking they need and our Reggies to exposure to realise where they need to improve or see that they're ready and keep them up like Preston, so they've experience for future years.
Those that are dropped that don't improve can fuck off or stay in Reggies if not blocking someone under them.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Good point about Burton. He has plenty of skill but just seems super laid back at the moment as a half.. I dunno it's hard to say when the forwards are getting beaten each week.

I'd be playing guys like Edwards and Morrin each week, even Topine and Tsikrikas... focus on personalities like Bellamy and Bennett do.. there's a reason Craig bought Nick Meaney. We will sooner turn things around playing the guys who are committed. Get rid of your TPJ's he can pursue boxing. I don't know about RFM but the bloke is a big body and needs to acknowledge how much better he is when he just runs hard and straight.

Trophy Points
Yeah I feel that. I mostly wear trainers because a lot of the walks I do including bush is mostly standard terrain, although at some point I'd like to get some hiking boots just for that extra support on longer missions.
Salomon ones aren't cheap, but our ones have held up amazing. I don't wear them on sealed paths though, that's when I wear my runners.

Haha yeah wow. That's pretty rare for a dog but I suppose after a while the thrill wears off as well. I think with dogs it must really feel good for them to get that energy release they would when running.
Probably a massive release on brain chemicals like in humans.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I think even Asics make them, but for that type of shoe I'd probably go for one of the industry specific brands. I do see Salomon pairs on sale pretty frequently.

I suppose having four legs helps!

Trophy Points
So get this... I know the reason why one of my shoulders is buggered and it's somewhat strange.

Most people can tighten up the shoulder as if they are flexing their trapazoidal muscles. That happens because the scapula (on back of body), can rotate, and tense up the trap.

I can do that, but only on one side. Regardless how much I try on the right hand side, there's just nothing there. Kinda like someones pulled the power plug out on the right shoulder.

Hence why I get the weakness there.

Buggered if I know how that's possible to resolve.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Would that be like nerve related or something? I've got numbness down the left side of my left arm and numbness in that side of the hand (possible carpal tunnel). It's pretty annoying sometimes, especially when it's freezing cold at night time.

Trophy Points
Would that be like nerve related or something? I've got numbness down the left side of my left arm and numbness in that side of the hand (possible carpal tunnel). It's pretty annoying sometimes, especially when it's freezing cold at night time.
Nope just a weakness in the muscles that control the movement in that area. Rhomboids/scapula.

Just happened to be at a family event the other day and one of my sister in laws sisters happens to be a rather successful physio. Had a good chat with her about it and she reckons specific weighted exercises are the best way to get it to active and strengthen it up, but that it's not a short term resolution, and probably more like 12 months before you start to see a serious change. From there it's working both sides equally then to avoid over/under compensation.

So stuff like:
Tricep Extensions
Bicep Curls
Lateral Pulldowns
Seated and Upright Rows
Crunches and Curls