• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Official Hopoate signs 2 year deal with ESL team St Helens.

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Croft, Hopoate seal deals to make Super League switch​

Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Mon 9 Aug 2021, 08:54 PM

Meanwhile, Hopoate has turned down interest from NRL clubs to sign a two year deal with St Helens, with the option of a third season in 2024.

Hopoate has a long association with Woolf and is the current Tonga captain.

"I have never been to the UK before and I am excited to be a part of it all," Hopoate said.

“I had option to sign for clubs in the NRL, but I have always wanted to play in the Super League and a strong club like St Helens meant I just couldn’t turn it down."
“I have been coached by ‘Woolfie’ before for Tonga and that was a big reason why I made the decision. I know him as a person and as a coach and his values and standards that he sets is something I want to buy in to."
“The recent success the Saints have had and the history of the club over the years shows it is a big and powerful club and I am just grateful that they showed in interest in me and I am just happy to be a part of it next year.”

Hopoate, who in 2011 became the youngest player after Brad Fittler to represent NSW in State of Origin, has made 120 NRL appearances for Canterbury since 2016.
The 29-year-old also played 22 matches for Manly, including the 2011 grand final triumph against the Warriors, before spending two years on a Mormon mission and returning in 2014 with Parramatta, for whom he made 38 NRL appearances.
He has also played 11 Tests for Tonga and captained the Pacific nation at the 2017 World Cup and in the historic 2019 defeat of Australia.

"Will is a guy I know extremely well," Woolf told the St Helens website. "He has played for Tonga since 2016 and captained Tonga in the past too which shows what a strong character he is."
“If I go back to 2019 and Tonga played against Great Britain and Australia, and he was one of our best players against two top quality teams on the world stage which gives you an idea of the quality we are getting."

Last edited:
Trophy Points
Good luck to Hoppa, but there was no way any NRL club was going to pick him up given his age, and agility these days.

Sure he's not injury prone, and has an excellent tip on, but his defence is shocking these days, and he has no speed.

In keeping with other players not at the club next year, perhaps now is the time to drop him and try new things (Averillo to centres?)

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
Options in the NRL?
As a top 30 reserve grader?
Maybe.
Otherwise...🤣🤣🤣
Announced this now to give him suffice time to pack his bags and leave at the end of the season.
Don't want to rush him and his glacial speed.