• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News Josh Jackson Announces Retirement

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs Captain Josh Jackson has today announced that he will retire from professional rugby league.

The decision comes just two years into a three-year contract extension amidst much speculation over the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs’ official squad for 2023. Jackson now officially ruling himself out as he chooses to step away from the squad and focus on life after footy with his family.

Whilst he won’t join the team under Ciraldo’s care in 2023, he leaves behind a legacy of hard work, dedication, and class both on and off the football field.
“Josh has long been at the heart of the Bulldogs,” said Bulldogs Rugby League Football Club Chairman John Khoury.

“He has led this great Club with pride. He has bled blue and white, and played for his state and for his country.

“We know this decision has not been an easy one and while it is a sad day, there is no doubt that despite not lacing up the boots and running out in 2023, he will continue to inspire the Bulldogs team and our community for many more years to come.

“We cannot thank him enough for everything he has done for our Club, but now it is time to reflect on and celebrate his wonderful career.”

The hard-working second rower is part of an exclusive group, inclusive of Hazem El Masri, Steve Mortimer, Terry Lamb, Chris Anderson, Andrew Ryan, and Aiden Tolman, who have each pulled on the blue and white jersey on more than 200 occasions.

He has played 11 seasons of top-flight rugby league for the Bulldogs (2012-22), running out on 241 occasions and scoring 24 tries throughout his decorated career.

On top of his appearances at the club level, the 31-year-old has also represented his state and country, collected the Brad Fittler Medal, been named Dally M Second Rower of the Year on two occasions, won the Provan Summons Medal (2019), and has been an inspiring captain to the Club that gave him the opportunity to live out a childhood dream.

Jackson, who hails from Gulgong, NSW, first made his NRL debut in round 16 of 2012 for the Belmore-based Club and has remained a loyal member of the Bulldogs team since.

He was a member of the 2014 NRL grand final team and was appointed Captain of the Club in an emotional announcement during the pre-season of 2018, following the departure of fellow Bulldogs great, James Graham.

Since 2018, he has captained the team through some tough times and earned great respect as a leader in the game.

“Josh has always epitomised what this Club is about. He’s tough. He’s resilient. He leaves everything on the footy field,” said the 2022 Interim Head Coach and recently announced, Assistant Coach for 2023, Mick Potter.

“He is and always will be, the epitome of a Bulldog,” he added.

“His efforts and professionalism are unparalleled, and it will be hard to fill that void in the team.

“Josh’s actions have always been about doing the best for the team and the Club, and that is what he has done”.

May be an image of 3 people, people playing sport and outdoors

Trophy Points
Bit strange there is no presser, or at least statement or anything from Josh Jackson himself.

I really hope that the club haven't leaned on him to retire and effectively forced him out.

Surely the club has a role ready for him off the field.

Stuck with the club thick and thin, and was our most capped Bulldogs player in recent times.

Now the most capped player is actually Raymond Faitala-Mariner with 88 games for the Bulldogs.

I wish Josh all the very best with his future endeavours and goes down as one of our club legends in my opinion. Probably our greatest player never to win a premiership, and opitimises the ethos of "Club First, Team Second, Individual Third".

1666846139783.png

Trophy Points
According to NewsCorp (how they got it who knows), but this was the message Jacko sent the teammates on WhatsApp.

Not sure if I believe it though as it's not really how Jacko speaks, and surely he'd tell the guys the reason for his retirement.

“Hi Boys, sorry I wasn’t able to do this in person,” the message read.
“I just wanted to let you know that I have made the decision to retire. It’s been great getting to know you and play alongside you over the last few years."
“I’ll still be floating around the club and I’m looking forward to next season."
“I wish you all the best."
“If there is anything I can do for you guys please reach out."
“Thanks Jacko.”

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Knowing Jacko he would absolutely put the team first. I just hope he is comfortable with the decision because Lord knows that bloke deserved to play as things are turning.. at least there was some highlights this year.

Josh spent many of his final years defending his ass off.. he could have absolutely found suitors if he had chosen to test the market, but he was loyal to the club through and through.

But the important thing is that he had a highly successful career.. many good seasons, plenty of rep honours, etc.

Great player, great human.

Trophy Points
I wonder if they'll give him the media gig that Steve Turner used to have at the club. He'd certainly be well suited for it I reckon.

I really just hope he hasn't been pushed out, although he's always been one to put others first, and not really want the limelight shone on him.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I wonder if they'll give him the media gig that Steve Turner used to have at the club. He'd certainly be well suited for it I reckon.

I really just hope he hasn't been pushed out, although he's always been one to put others first, and not really want the limelight shone on him.

I know Gus is a pretty staunch character when it comes to making calls, but I like to think it didn't happen.. Gus wrote some kind words about him on Twitter and I feel like he would have been laying a little low if he had anything to do with it.. It is definitely a strange one.. But yeah apparently he's going to be involved with the club, I'm just not sure what doing..