• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Matildas into semi-finals after beating France in epic penalty shootout

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
https://www.news.com.au/sport/footb...s/news-story/70e44c399aa932685d6a58325e607450

Australia is through to the semi-finals of the Women’s World Cup for the first time after the extraordinary drama of a penalty shootout.

Australia has done it — making the World Cup semi-finals for the first time with a heart-stopping penalty shootout win over France at Suncorp Stadium.
After a scoreless draw in 120 minutes, the shootout was as tense as it could be.

It was the longest shootout in World Cup history — men’s or women’s — going 10 rounds with Australia coming out on top 7-6. The previous longest was the Sweden-USA shootout earlier in this World Cup which went seven rounds, while the longest men’s shootout was six rounds between West Germany and France in the 1982 semi-final and the 1994 quarterfinal between Sweden and Romania.

With Mackenzie Arnold coming up huge between the pipes, saving four shots, including a replayed shot, it came down to Cortnee Vine slotting what will instantly go into Australian sporting folklore.

Cortnee Vine with the best penalty in Aussie history. Photo by Justin Setterfield/Getty Images

Cortnee Vine with the best penalty in Aussie history. Photo by Justin Setterfield/Getty Images
John Aloisi was on comments for Channel 7 and when told he’d be relegated to the second most epic penalty shootout in history for his goal that ended the Socceroos’ World Cup drought, he said: “I’m happy to be relegated. We’re in a semi-final.

“This is what a World Cup does on home soil it brings everyone together. The nation together. Everyone’s following the Matildas. Everyone’s behind them. Everyone’s believing they can go all the way and just this, this winning penalty from Vine, it gives you that belief that they can go all the way.”

Channel 7’s David Basheer said it the result was “unbelievable” and described Arnold’s performance as “spine-tingling”.

Aloisi added: “Wow. I don’t think I have ever seen a penalty shootout like that before. It ebbed and flowed. Drama, drama. This is what sport does, though.”

Matildas star Elise Kellond-Knight said: “I’m speechless. What have we just witnessed? I don’t have words. How everyone just stood up right there, I don’t think I have seen a penalty shootout go to 10 penalty-takers at this level before.”

Mackenzie Arnold, you absolute legend! Photo by FRANCK FIFE / AFP

Mackenzie Arnold, you absolute legend! Photo by FRANCK FIFE / AFP
The result means the Matildas will now play the winner of England and Colombia later on Saturday night, with the semi-final on Wednesday night at 8pm from Stadium Australia in Sydney.

It comes after a wild 120 minutes which almost had it all except goals.

There were two golden chances each in the first half but it was Australia’s Mary Fowler who had the best.

A desperation goal line save from French defender Elisa De Almeida denied Fowler an effectively empty net late in the first half as the Matildas turned the momentum.

Sam Kerr came off the bench in the 55th minute and seemed to spark the Matildas but it was to avail as Australia played out the first scoreless draw after 90 minutes in our World Cup history.

It looked as though France had scored in extra-time when Alanna Kennedy appeared to head the ball into our own goal after a dodgy call handed France a corner, but it was denied after French captain Wendie Renaud was pinged for dragging down Caitlin Foord.

The Matildas have done it! Photo by Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

The Matildas have done it! Photo by Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
Top effort by the girls.
Does anyone know who the other semi-final is between?