• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Nicho Hynes speaks after mum’s sentencing adjourned after heroin bust

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

NRL star Nicho Hynes says he will help his mother rebuild her life after she is sentenced for her role in a heroin scheme on the NSW Central Coast.
“Anything that’s happened is in the past now. I really look forward setting her up to do good things in the community and be a better person and be the generous loving person I know she is,” he told Nine News outside Downing Centre court on Monday.

Julie Hynes, 50, will be sentenced on Tuesday. She was found guilty at trial earlier this year of knowingly supplying 180.7g of heroin following the death of 29-year-old Luke Murphy, who allegedly overdosed from heroin while using the drug press in Hynes’ bathroom.

Neither Hynes or Mr Selvage were accused of being responsible for Mr Murphy’s death.

Julie Hynes has tried to downplay her role in a heroin scheme in court after Mr Murphy’s death led police to unearth drugs and an hydraulic tablet press at the woman’s NSW Central Coast home.

Hynes claimed in Downing Centre court on Monday she was unaware the press was being assembled inside her house overnight by Mr Murphy and friend Michael William Selvage, 59, who was acquitted of drug supply charges at trial.

The 50-year-old mother claimed she had gone to bed earlier that evening due to exhaustion after watching her son compete with the Melbourne Storm in Canberra days prior, despite the court learning she’d made multiple calls and texts that night.

“[Hynes] is regrettably – and for no good reason – not helping herself,” Judge David Wilson said.

“It is obvious from the text messages and telephone calls that she was awake at 2am and at 5am.”

The Crown told the court it was impossible Hynes’ was “completely unaware” of the press’ assembly during the night, as she claimed.

According to Hynes’ version of the events, the Blackwall mother woke at about 7am, before discovering the drug press in her bathroom.

Hynes’ claimed to have been outraged by the discovery, and after returning from getting breakfast found Mr Murphy in a concerning state.

Rather than calling police, Hynes called friend Gregory Flanders for help, who himself later called emergency services.

Hynes admitted in court she had been hesitant to call emergency services because of press.

“You didn’t want to get Murphy – or yourself – in trouble, and you did your best to cover it up,” lawyer Murray asked Hynes’.

“You have known Murphy since he was nine playing footy, you were very fond of him.”

Neither Hynes or Mr Selvage were accused of being responsible for Mr Murphy’s death.

In sentencing, Justice Wilson admitted Hynes’ role in the drug operation was “very narrow”.

“I expect that the press was set up before she returned from Canberra,” Justice Wilson said.

“It was mostly the deceased and Mr Selvage who were allegedly engaged in the pressing of the drugs.”

Hynes’ told the court if she could “do things differently, I would”, but failed to show insight into her offending.

Justice Wilson said psychological reports tendered to court showed Hynes had a deep fear of authority.

She told the court that, if released, she would live with her football star sun in Cronulla, where he plays with the Cronulla Sharks.

Nicho Hynes was present in court to support his mother, and offered to give her work at his charity foundation, the court heard.

She also claimed to be pursuing Aboriginal art having been contacted by an interested buyer while in custody.

Justice Wilson adjourned Hynes’ sentencing owing the discrepancies in her evidence.
She was also found guilty of a related charge of possessing 5g of marijuana.
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Cronulla+Shark+star+Nicho+Hynes’+mum+has+sentencing+adjourned+after+heroin+bust&via=newscomauHQ&url=https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nicho-hynes-speaks-after-mums-sentencing-adjourned-after-heroin-bust/news-story/f830947b51a3e03fdb6798529ea7c132

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
“Anything that’s happened is in the past now." Nicho Hynes

Yes, I'm sure Mr. Luke Murphy's family also holds that sentiment toward his death too...

Trophy Points
Sounds like it was a complete writeoff.

No remorse, only that she got caught.

If her son wasn't a famous NRL player, I dare say she'd be sitting in Silverwater for 5-10 years now.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
It's a weird one, because on one hand it's like, if every crim had a Nicho in their life, some would benefit, other's too far gone... I'm not sure what her situation is, but getting off the coast is what she needs it's just a shame the damage that has been done. I think she should have at least served a bit more time first just because of the fact it's now a slap on the wrist, but long term it could be a positive for society if he keeps her in check.

BomberBurton

Trophy Points
Definitely feels like a slap to the public's faces that he managed to wrangle the release of his Mother.
The fact that Nicho does not realise the damage she has done and that damage can not just be pushed aside into the past is a bad look for him.
I've lost a whole heap of respect for him over this.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Definitely feels like a slap to the public's faces that he managed to wrangle the release of his Mother.
The fact that Nicho does not realise the damage she has done and that damage can not just be pushed aside into the past is a bad look for him.
I've lost a whole heap of respect for him over this.

I lost respect for him when he said he copped it for "not being black enough" like c*nt, you didn't even know you were Aboriginal till you reached what adulthood?

If he can keep her in line, that's great, but yeah she definitely should have faced some proper punishment first, I mean now she gets to live in a nice area with all the perks of having a footy start child.

Trophy Points
Yeah exactly. I mean she should have served inside and then got parole after a few years to love with him.

No justice in the justice system sometimes.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Yeah exactly. I mean she should have served inside and then got parole after a few years to love with him.

No justice in the justice system sometimes.

Yeah, like things may just work out, but for every one case that works out, another 10 cases may not.

If there's one thing our country really sucks at dealing with, it's drugs.

BomberBurton

Trophy Points
Yeah, like things may just work out, but for every one case that works out, another 10 cases may not.

If there's one thing our country really sucks at dealing with, it's drugs.
Still infuriates me how we managed drugs in the 90s.
"Let's see, we've MDMA that makes users want to hug you and amphetamines that make users want to eat your face, which one shall we aggressively prosecute boys?"
"MDMA, definitely, of course, MDMA, how DARE they want to be nice to us!!!!"

Legalise via script psychedelics and enjoy a new tax stream, whilst also opening up new mental health treatment options, particularly for those with treatment-resistant forms and crack down upon those that are a scourge upon society instead, and by doing so, reducing black market income streams for outlaws, gangs, organised criminal syndicates, etc all.

How fucking hard is it to enact logical thought?

As for the drugs are baad mkay argument, fuck right on off.
Everything we consume can be argued to be a drug, as it affects our performance in one way, form, or manner or another.
Water, h2o, hydrogen, and oxygen, too much kills you, not enough kills you, yet we absolutely NEED it to survive!
We NEED drugs for survival.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
It really is a matter of looking into root causes because drug use in many cases is the end result.. some get out, some don't.. but you're 100% right there and I think slow killers are actually so common today, particularly in diet I mean and I know it sounds bad, but just go to a local food court.. It sucks that we don't live in a society where we can talk freely in any situation about things as they are.. Humans thrive on constructive criticism, and it should not be limited unless a person has like genuine health issues.. heck I have had my issues in the past with booze and diet and could have done with a good solid kick up the ass (well maybe not that) and actually any time I did have somebody say something about my drinking it was a good wake up call.

BomberBurton

Trophy Points
Root cause for abuse definitely is something that forms a part of the process of progress.
It most certainly plays a strong adverse part into why there are issues with drugs.
I was discussing in the sauna about how ice typically is abused by lower socio-economic demographics due to its ability to enhance physical work stamina.
I personally know people that have used drugs for a quick fix of their vices, and it destroyed their mind.
Yet it is easier to just blame drugs, than to address systemic poverty.
Totally agree about how restricted conversation stymies society.
Have debated that is a part of the issue with sexual deviancy within mental health, such as paedophilia, as who in their right mind would be attracted to a minor.
It at its simplest element is a genetic flaw, as it prevents the natural evolutionary flow of a species!
Open discussion very likely would lead to those with such wrong thoughts feeling less like they need to keep it a secret and instead, ask for help before it manifests into action.
Sometimes it's the R U OK? pat upon the back that is what you need over the kick in the seat of your pants and I hope that's what you received @Captain Ibis

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Yeah that's the thing, drugs are generally the end result to something deeper.. and you're right it is mostly those circumstances, with the odd situation where a person came from a family where a parents career was more important.. I've seen that one in some people I know or have connections too.. Actually I have to admit looking back I have been in situations where I definitely should have said something or at least talked to somebody who was doing harm to themselves, but better late than never.

Interesting that you mention that part re pedophilia.. I watch a lot of crime shows and you're spot on.. and in many cases it was something that happened to the person themselves at an earlier age, not just pedophiles of course, but also rapists etc. Certainly not excusing it, because regardless they make their own decisions. And I have also wondered how much impact a drug like meth can have on a person in terms of that type of crime, because I know of at least a couple of cases people have gone down a very dark path while on a meth binge.. Brett Finch comes to mind.

yeah if you just be there for people and be somebody they can open to, that in itself is helpful, because a lot of people today will hold onto things and that in itself can become consuming. I think in my case it was just good to be reminded that getting drunk a lot is not a good thing, even if it is on weekends... like if you do that for the best part of 15 years that is.