• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

NRL Top Eight: 2023 Home/Away Jerseys

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Max Delaney
13 min ago

We’re just over 48 hours away from the 2023 NRL season and it feels like just a second ago I was passing out after the completion of the Rugby League World Cup and planning my writing for the pre-season… plans that went unfulfilled.

Inner anguish aside, time moves fast and yet another season is upon us. What better way to bring it in than looking at the jersey combos the NRL has to offer?

The importance of appearance in sports shouldn’t be overlooked. Sure, once you’re already invested in a team it might not make a difference, but for kids and newcomers to NRL fandom, how a team looks can be the deciding factor.

Look at the NFL. One of the main aspects I enjoy during my (very irregular) viewings is how damn good it looks. The colours are vibrant, the patterns are clean, no team sticks out like a sore thumb and they’re all a similar style while still representing the team’s identity with features like lighting bolts.

Of course, when a singular team is worth more than the entire NRL competition, you have a bit more pull with jersey manufacturers and sponsors as to how the final product looks. Of course, there are no sponsors on NFL jerseys… but one problem at a time.

Various manufacturers and sponsor integration (or lack thereof) are the two biggest problems with NRL jerseys. How can we expect uniformity when one team is partnered with Steeden and others are signed with Dynasty, O’Niells, Classic, Asics.

As it is, we have to deal with multiple apparel partners and invasive sponsor integration. What we don’t have to cop are design choices like the Brisbane Broncos toilet seat collar and change for the sake of it like the Parramatta Eels random stripes.

That’s without mentioning teams making significant changes each season to make more sales unnecessary changes in the hopes of more jersey sales and a distinct lack of originality or flare.

Frankly, there aren’t many teams I look at and love their jersey designs. However, here are the eight best jersey combinations heading into 2023.

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs​

🟢 No more coloured shoulders from 2022.

🟢 Clean chevron and no unnecessary additions.

🟢 No gambling agency sponsorship.

🟢 Beautiful sponsor integration.

🟢 Can work for years to come.

🔴 That damn ‘Sydney Tools’ advertisement. Play ball like everyone else!

Gold Coast Titans​

🟢 Home jersey

🟢 More extravagant design than most clubs but it works.

🟢 Every sponsor works colour-wise. Even the big block on the chest isn’t too obtrusive.

🟢 Made from Ecotek Fabric which uses recycled plastic.

🔴 The away jersey is lacking in comparison to its partner. I feel it would be much better if the gradient seamlessly faded from white to light blue or yellow.

Cronulla Sharks​

🟢 Nice colours, no crazy designs.

🟢 Home is blue, away is black. I respect it.

🔴 Why Aramex? Why! I don’t know who you are or what you do, but I won’t use you out of spite.

🔴 The Pointsbet ad isn’t actually that bad, but why couldn’t you make ‘points’ blue, white or black?

🔴 The advertisements are truly heinous and these jerseys are too high on this list but it’s really annoying to move them.

Turns out Aramex is a courier company based in Dubai with a Google review score of 1.2/5. Hm.

Canberra Raiders​

🟢 Awesome Colours.

🟢 Clean home/away differences. Home is green, away is white. Designs stay the same. Love it.

🟢 Little bit of yellow on the arms is a lovely touch.

🔴 What the fuck, Toyota Forklifts? I’m not a Raiders fan but I would consider buying this jersey if this sponsor was blue, white or yellow. Again, what the fuck, Toyota Forklifts?

North Queensland Cowboys​

🟢 Everything I like about the Bulldogs Jerseys is what I like about the Cowboys’ 2023 output. It’s simple but attractive and the sponsors haven’t ruined my entire life. Alas, the away kit falls short.

🔴 Please, NRL. Ban teams from having the shoulders be different colours from the rest of the jersey. It never looks good. It’s lazy and boring.

🔴 Can we have some fun? Why isn’t the little ‘V’ on the chest of the away jersey yellow? Hell, make the entire jersey grey with yellow and navy aspects. Something!

Penrith Panthers​

🟢 You know why the All-Blacks don’t need to revolutionise their jersey? They’re the All-Blacks. The Panthers jersey works. They’re successful. Why fix what ain’t broke? The Lakers, more or less (Nike has recently started making significant changes) have had the same jersey for 30 years. Prestigious teams don’t change their identity on a whim.

🔴 I don’t love the pink away jersey. I get it, and I love that their socks and shorts change along with it. But, I dunno, give me something like the 1991 away jersey.

One New Zealand Warriors​

🟢 Sponsor integration. Yes, even the all-seeing eye in the middle of their torso. At least it’s a good colour.

🟢 I like these colours on the Warriors. Black and white was fine and still has its place, but I prefer the tri-coloured kit.

🔴 Again, the shoulder thing on the away jersey. “I don’t know, just keep the shoulders of the home jersey and make it white”. Have some imagination, people.

🔴 Make the shoulders green and use the 1995 away jersey as inspiration.

South Sydney Rabbitohs​

🟢 I know I’ve spouted having fun and showing some imagination throughout this piece, but there is a place for history and simplicity. If you’re going to keep it simple, though, it has to be perfectly done. The Rabbitohs do just that.

🟢 MG Motor, thank you. Not only do you have a clean, unobtrusive black advertisement for the home jersey, it’s red on the away! There is not one sponsor on this jersey that separates itself from the jersey itself.

🟢 No gambling agency.

🔴 I know the stripes are traditional… but…

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
well well well... look who's up the top!

I think this list is pretty spot on though, in terms of both the home and away jerseys.. some other teams have decent home kits but not so great away.