• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News Photography course a hit as Bulldogs learn from the best.

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Trophy Points

Going pro: Photography course a hit as Bulldogs learn from the best​

Author Alicia Newton NRL Reporter - Wed 14 Dec 2022, 03:01 PM

Taking a photo can be achieved by the push of a button but all the other finer details that makes a good picture was an educational lesson for aspiring Bulldogs photographers in the off-season.

Canterbury players Jake Averillo, Max King, Declan Casey and Jayden Okunbor were among those who got an up-close look at the work of NRL award-winning chief photographer Grant 'Chucky' Trouville when he paid the club a visit in the off-season.

Trouville was on deck at Belmore to teach several of the club's top 30 players the trips and tricks in a possible career path post rugby league.
The visit, organised by the Bulldogs education department, went so well that in conjunction with the Elite Athlete Business School, the course will now be officially added to their offerings for 2023.
"We are very proud to be the first ones to design and deliver this course in conjunction with the Elite Athlete Business School and The Brand Builders," Bulldogs club career coach Renee Liddy said.
"It was so well received by our players, that it will be great to see this course rolled out to other clubs in the future, so that more players can receive the same education and training that our players did."

NRL chief photographer Grant Trouville takes Bulldogs players through some tips and techniques during the off-season.

NRL chief photographer Grant Trouville takes Bulldogs players through some tips and techniques during the off-season.©Elite Athlete Business School

Trouville took the group through a class of skills that included shutter speed, lighting and specific angles.

There was also hope that the players could been part of the NRL's Nikon experience during the 2022 Telstra Premiership finals, but both Averillo and King were called into the PM's XIII side while Casey and Okunbor had NSW Cup commitments.

"I’m passionate about photography, I went overseas and and took my camera. You can look back and know you took that shot," Averillo said.
"'Chucky' made it a lot more relatable and that was pretty big for us. It was interesting to hear that at different stadiums they have different lighting and settings required.
"It makes me think twice, it’s so much harder than it looks. It’s pretty cool for us being the first to do [a course] and hopefully other clubs can follow."

For Bulldogs forward King, who is looking towards a career path for life after football, the opportunity to work with Trouville and the EABS
"I’m not a Picasso art student but can appreciate a good photo," King said.
"It’s so good for life after footy. When you’re a footballer you’re on this pedestal because you’re on the television every week.
"People talk about having a trade but why not something like this? For 'Chucky' to put the football world into photography, we didn’t realise how much work goes into it and also how much physical work at games it takes. The practical part was more of a mind blow than anything. It showed my appreciation to photographers.

The players took their skills onto Belmore Sports Ground as part of the practical component with NRL chief photographer Grant Trouville.

The players took their skills onto Belmore Sports Ground as part of the practical component with NRL chief photographer Grant Trouville.©Elite Athlete Business School

"Even just the basic iPhone settings, with little tips and tricks, it makes a massive difference. My interest in photography now has spiked more.
"It was a lot easier to understand and relate because it had the rugby league component.

As social media also continues to evolve, so too do the players' own brands with King an avid follower of most NRL clubs and other sporting clubs around the world with a key eye on their digital component.
"When you retire you have this following but when it's all over you’re then like well what do I do now?," King added.
"If you want to have a business after footy, you don’t have to be a social media marketing guru but it’s just the way the world is moving these days."

Trouville, who has seen a rise in interest around digital media and photography with players during his time at the NRL, was pleased to hear the program was set to be an official course.
"It was awesome to go out to Belmore, see the players and give them a bit of an insight into what we do," Trouville said.
"Hopefully next year we can get them at a game taking a few snaps and more players at all clubs get involved.
"It's a great career-path and everyone starts at the same level with photography. The more time you invest the more you learn and better you're going to be."

Trophy Points
Pretty cool initiative, and interesting that the club has reached out in this direction.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Pretty cool initiative, and interesting that the club has reached out in this direction.

You'd know more about photography than I ever will but it's always good to learn new skills and you just never know how skills can cross over I mean photography is obviously very vision/observation based, among other things.

Trophy Points
You'd know more about photography than I ever will but it's always good to learn new skills and you just never know how skills can cross over I mean photography is obviously very vision/observation based, among other things.
I laughed my arse off at Kings comment.

Seems him, RFM and Casey are getting a bit of exposure with the club, so must be seen as players to build a team around.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I laughed my arse off at Kings comment.

Seems him, RFM and Casey are getting a bit of exposure with the club, so must be seen as players to build a team around.

Lol he's playing the long game.

Yeah that's it.. that's interesting with Casey given there's a centre spot up for grabs.. He's definitely got potential. King's effort in the PM's game was beast mode... so many runs and offloads.

Trophy Points
I sense some of our players are going to absolutely come to life next year with career best performances.

King is shaping up really nicely to be a superb prop.