• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

Sega

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
rampageeu.jpg

Never has a giant Gorilla, Werewolf and Lizard destroying buildings been so much fun. Pick either George, Ralph or Lizzie and go on a destruction rampage across America. This game was originally released on Arcade, then ported to home consoles Atari and NES, but in my opinion, the Master System version mastered it as they had all 3 characters whereas Atari and NES did not have Lizzie.

The game is mainly set at night, with 2 objectives - destroy buildings, and fight off the army. In the Master System version, you can see the helicopters flying in the background coming towards you so there is a little warning about what's coming. The thanks can be a little tougher as they fire projectiles at you which can knock you around - however the wrap-around game play makes it easier to go the other way and attack them from behind.

There are plenty of people in the game - in buildings or walking on the ground. Eating them gives you a little life boost. Then you have the men who drop dynamite in front of buildings. Jump off when these guys come along because being on a building that collapses is danger. Also watch out for what you hit. You don't want to eat a toilet or punch an electric sign.

Very fun game, one of my favorite growing up. 8/10

that cover art is awesome.. I have a vague memory of watching this being played.. they need to develop more games like this these days, rather than the usual battle ground nonsense

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
This looks frustrating to play, now, but I remember a friend hired this game out when I was younger and it was fun as fk..

Wahesh

Beast by Name, Beast by Nature
Trophy Points
This looks frustrating to play, now, but I remember a friend hired this game out when I was younger and it was fun as fk..

I was never fortunate enough to play that game, but I remember seeing it on the back of my SMS 2 box and I wanted to play it badly. It looks fun enough - certainly fun enough to want to play it when I was a kid. It's got a little bit of a Death Rally look to it with the top-down view, and the way the cars drift around the corner.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I was never fortunate enough to play that game, but I remember seeing it on the back of my SMS 2 box and I wanted to play it badly. It looks fun enough - certainly fun enough to want to play it when I was a kid. It's got a little bit of a Death Rally look to it with the top-down view, and the way the cars drift around the corner.

I think the game play would be frustrating to play now, as apposed to a lot of racing games from back then which are still fun to play, but for that weekend it was awesome.. also has a bit of a Micro Machines feel to it.. another great game which I think was for the Mega Drive and SNES

Wahesh

Trophy Points
I think the game play would be frustrating to play now, as apposed to a lot of racing games from back then which are still fun to play, but for that weekend it was awesome.. also has a bit of a Micro Machines feel to it.. another great game which I think was for the Mega Drive and SNES
DANG I KNEW IT REMINDED ME OF SOMETHING. I just couldn't put my finger on it. Mirco Machines, that's right. That game looks pretty tough but would've been fun back then as well.

This reminds me... remember "Hang On" on the Master System? Those simple graphics and gameplay were the inspiration behind Road Rash which is one of the greatest Motor Cycle game franchises ever!

maxresdefault.jpg

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
DANG I KNEW IT REMINDED ME OF SOMETHING. I just couldn't put my finger on it. Mirco Machines, that's right. That game looks pretty tough but would've been fun back then as well.

This reminds me... remember "Hang On" on the Master System? Those simple graphics and gameplay were the inspiration behind Road Rash which is one of the greatest Motor Cycle game franchises ever!

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh mate, Micro Machines was so much fun.. cool level design and features.. game play was not bad either and probably even worth checking out online.. I think they brought out a new MM game for iOS just recently.. I haven't played that, but the stills look good. I never played Road Rash either suprisingly

Trophy Points
Random thought.... were games funner back then because of their simplicity, or are games better these days because of increased immersion and realism?

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Random thought.... were games funner back then because of their simplicity, or are games better these days because of increased immersion and realism?
Well it's bit of both I think. I mean when it comes to platform games back then they were winners - much better than the platform games being made today. But games like sports games I find are better - also car racing games. When it comes to action though I think both eras did well. So yeah it depends on the genre but I think both have their pros and cons.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I can't really compare the games myself because I don't play new games, but always loved simple and effective.. I don't really see the appeal of new games, they just seem to all look the same tbh I guess because they all share the same engines and a lot of the concepts don't appear to differ much.. war, war, and more war.. seriously give me some Mario or DK and I'm happy

Wahesh

Trophy Points
I can't really compare the games myself because I don't play new games, but always loved simple and effective.. I don't really see the appeal of new games, they just seem to all look the same tbh I guess because they all share the same engines and a lot of the concepts don't appear to differ much.. war, war, and more war.. seriously give me some Mario or DK and I'm happy
Mate I am with you there. There are a lot of games out there but as someone who's more into classic games than newer ones, I don't play that many new ones. Only the ones I really want.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
The Godfather of all beat-em-up games is Double Dragon. Many people have played this games it was ported across many consoles from the Arcade to NES to SNES to Atari to Game Boy to Game Gear to Jaguar to Neo Geo to Neo Geo CD to PlayStation to PlayStation 3 to Game Boy Advance to Xbox 360 to PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5 to PC to iOS to Android to Amiga, Commodore 64 to ZX Spectrum to Amstrad CPC to MSX to Zeebo to Nintendo Switch to Xbox One to Xbox Series X/S to Mega Drive/Genesis... and of course... TO MASTER SYSTEM.

This game was unreal. The first 2 player co-op game I ever played and man it was something. The ability to fight with your friend against the AI was awesome. Then you can pick up weapons - whips, baseball bats, knives, dynamite sticks, boxes and rocks and them attack with them. The boss fight would always be interesting as you would have a weapon to assist with your attack (except the final boss who has a gun) and it would be everyone for themselves.

The video below sums it up perfectly and why in my eyes the Master System version is the best one.

1621464219346.png

Last edited:
Trophy Points
@Wahesh I went to the Powerhouse Museum Discovery Centre in Castle Hill the other weekend. They have a number of old school consoles in display shelves there :D

Pretty decent place with lots of variety, and free entry. Only open weekends though.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
@Wahesh I went to the Powerhouse Museum Discovery Centre in Castle Hill the other weekend. They have a number of old school consoles in display shelves there :D

Pretty decent place with lots of variety, and free entry. Only open weekends though.
I'd love to go to a museum like that. Weekends actually suit my schedule well though. What days/hours are they open?

Trophy Points
I'd love to go to a museum like that. Weekends actually suit my schedule well though. What days/hours are they open?
https://www.maas.museum/museums-discovery-centre/#opening-hours

and the Mars Rover is there at the moment too :)

It takes probably a few hours to get through as its 2-3 buildings and mezanine levels. Funny thing is there are some things from like the 80s/90s and even 2000s in there.

Quite a wide variety of things, but the games cabinet area also has phones and other stuff in there as well.

Wahesh

Trophy Points
Streets of Rage

1621915290797.png

Awww yeah. Now Double Dragon is an iconic Sega game, and Streets of Rage is right up there with it. Considering Streets of Rage has twice as many levels (8 as opposed to 4) and all of the levels are longer that DD's, as well as the addition of a female character, Streets of Rage hits the mark. It is the Sega's response to Final Fight. The only downside to the Master System version of the game is that it doesn't allow co-op gameplay, however that's something that the lives/stages controller rule can fix.

An added feature in this game that mixes things up a little is that from stage 5, you'll get need to face some of the boss characters again before you get to the of the last stage. There is also the squad car assistance you can call upon on any stage except the last.

GrippingDisguisedEstuarinecrocodile-max-1mb.gif

Definitely an iconic Sega-exclusive game. Only loses 1 point due to the non-existent co-op on Master System.

9/10

Last edited:

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
While Miracle World has the nostalgia being the original, and first video game I played (from memory), Shinobi World was still the best Alex Kidd game.. the only issue I found with it is that it's too short.. but otherwise, great game for the time and super fun to play... I never got to play any of the other Alex Kidd games but I don't think I missed much judging by the reviews in this video

Wahesh

Trophy Points
While Miracle World has the nostalgia being the original, and first video game I played (from memory), Shinobi World was still the best Alex Kidd game.. the only issue I found with it is that it's too short.. but otherwise, great game for the time and super fun to play... I never got to play any of the other Alex Kidd games but I don't think I missed much judging by the reviews in this video

Great video mate, a few things in there that I didn't know. I might subscribe to that channel.

Miracle World was one of the first games I played on Master System. I also played Shinobi World (love it) and Lost Stars. The others I didn't play or get around to. I think that Miracle World has what it takes when it comes to graphics given that it was made in 1986. It's kind of Sega's vibrant response to Mario Bros. as the graphics were brighter the power-ups and vehicles that you could buy added some variety to it - BUT agreeing completely with @Howard Moon in the Shinobi World was the best one, minus the fact that it was too short.

It had many hidden areas as well - one of which I only found recently (check this out):

I also gotta agree that the Japanese cover art for Miracle World was AMAZING:

1622088132228.png