• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News Some blokes need to have a look at themselves: Barrett

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Some blokes need to have a look at themselves: Barrett​

Author Chris Kennedy NRL.com Reporter - Mon 2 Aug 2021, 08:53 PM

Frustrated Canterbury coach Trent Barrett says mistakes at key times are bringing the team undone and suggested certain individuals need to have a look at themselves.

Canterbury completed at over 80% and had slightly the better of possession in their 34-6 loss to the Titans on Monday night but came up with fundamental errors at key times to make life far too easy for their opponents.

Barrett described the performance as "not good".
"I thought we were our own worst enemy again. A lot of ill-disciplined errors and gave them too much footy," he said.
"We put ourselves in a position there, we were on the right ledger with possession, had 50-50 of the footy and I think we only had two incomplete sets in the first half but the two turnovers were at crucial times in good-ball situations."

Jayden Okunbor's fumble off a Titans goal-line drop-out with the Dogs attacking and just 6-0 down was a key moment, according to Barrett.
"The one off a drop out – you just can't (do that). We've got a few blokes in there who need to have a good look at themselves," he said.

Despite his disappointment, Barrett said making much in the way of selection changes was simply not an option with the current depth in the squad.
"There's five or six games to go, we've just got to keep aiming up," he said.
"We've got a thin squad. The individuals we've got, that's what we've got. It's up to them to get better. We need to take a lot of pride in what we do in the next month of footy. It's not going to stop."

Barrett said the recent disruption with the game being rescheduled after a snap COVID-enforced lockdown was not a factor in the performance.
"It is what it is, it's the same for everyone," he said.
"The NRL's doing a terrific job. And the Queensland government's been good to allow us to come up here. We'll do whatever we have to do to keep the competition going.
"The players are professional and we expect them to perform no matter what their preparation's like but we had a good prep. It didn't worry us and we've still got a six-day turnaround so no excuses there. They've just got to get their heads around it.
"It's hard for some of the players with young families, we're all in the same boat though. We're professionals and we have to deal with that.
"We need the competition to keep going. There's a lot of people employed within the NRL throughout clubland and the governing body so we need to keep playing, we understand that.
"Players are making a huge sacrifice and a lot of the staff are as well but we understand that we're in a privileged position to be working and there's a lot of other people worse off than us, we'll be ok."

Trophy Points
Not mincing words, but Barrett needs to take action.

Flanagan experiment is DONE, COOKED, FINISHED. We can't expect him to get better, as he's actually going backwards. Roosters must be absolutely pissing themselves at us.

We can't afford to put him alongside Burton and expect anything different, but seems like we are continually naming him to avoid having to admit he was a shit buy.

Meanwhile we look likely to let Lewis walk, despite him adding much more in attack and defence, and if Averillo isn't in the halves in 2022, surely Lewis and Burton is a MUCH better option than Burton and Flanno.

On a side note, why aren't we getting Shane Flanagan in to help out Barrett?

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Sucks for Lachy.. he never really had good halves coaching to help work on the fine tuning of his game.. I thought under Barrett there was less errors and brain explosions (bar the Walker incident) just a shame he is off contract.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
Does Kyle need Shane to play well?
As for Barrett,take a good look in the mirror first.
What have you improved over Pay?
Why keep deadwood in the side at the expense of juniors getting game experience?

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Where the heck is Lachy? he did nothing wrong bar the Cody incident

BBO needs to remain as second hooker

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Has Averillo done any more than Kyle would have? Jake is an edge player and I just can't see that changing

Trophy Points
Lewis did deserve better and was the only one really keeping us in games in recent times.

Averillo and Topine are the ones we really need to figure out where they are best playing (because last thing we want to do is "Moses Mbye" them). By that I mean play them in so many positions they can't settle in one specifically.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
I think the recent board have a lot to answer for.. Dean did his best but at the end of the day is a forward and a defensive coach.. he needed the board to help him out but instead they had already written off at least one season... I'm not saying Lachlan was destined to be a long-term first grader but when you consider the fact that all of our halves over the last 5+ years have struggled, it's very clear that they are not getting the right coaching and resources to excel.

The_Chimpster

Tree hopping looking for that golden banana
Trophy Points
Obviously it's his first year and our side is a complete rubble but in saying that barrett still needs to accept accountability for chopping and changing every week and below average team selections, picking guys that won't be there next year like meaney, katoa and crappa.

What has topine done to be exiled, or tui katoa who gets shafted for cocknbour who couldn't catch a cold and isn't even completely fit

boxer

THE BOSS
Trophy Points
Obviously it's his first year and our side is a complete rubble but in saying that barrett still needs to accept accountability for chopping and changing every week and below average team selections, picking guys that won't be there next year like meaney, katoa and crappa.

What has topine done to be exiled, or tui katoa who gets shafted for cocknbour who couldn't catch a cold and isn't even completely fit
I agree topine actually looked like he wants to be there.

Trophy Points

and now Father Time himself aka Hoppa. I reckon a turtle could run him down over 100m.

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
and now Father Time himself aka Hoppa. I reckon a turtle could run him down over 100m.

to be fair I reckon there are a few blokes who are just busted due to the sheer amount of work they have been doing on the back foot these past few years.. Hoppa gives it what he has got but unfortunately what he has got is not much these days

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Geez I am mixed on Barrett.. I've said it before that this team was destined for a spoon, but you would have liked to have seen some players show some improvement under the new coach, except they're all on the same level they were previously, or going backwards..

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
and why oh why do our forwards continue to take the ball up for 5 or 6 tackles when in the oppositions quarter thus negating any backline raid like most other clubs do. The result is they either get caught on the 6th with a hand over , spill the ball but create few tries . There lies the attacking lack of . I used to blame others whom have since left the club but it is still happening.

Old Woof Woof

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Corey haerwarinara sent off against storm high tackle he wont be back this season just flattened storms half back hughes with a driving shoulder into hughes face. Made our forwards high tackles look like cream puffs compared to that one lol

Captain Ibis

Squad Member
Trophy Points
Corey haerwarinara sent off against storm high tackle he wont be back this season just flattened storms half back hughes with a driving shoulder into hughes face. Made our forwards high tackles look like cream puffs compared to that one lol

they've also just lent James and Horsburgh to us