• Hey you, yes you!

Signup is free AND easy!

Register today to unlock many more forums, and contribute to the newest Bulldogs Fan Community!

News Steve Mortimer on the mend after heart attack.

Welcome to The Dog Squad Forums

Signup for FREE and join the community today!

Bulldogs legend Steve Mortimer is recovering from a heart attack

David Riccio - Chief Sports Writer
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
September 18, 2021 - 6:00AM

It was the morning walk that turned into an emergency trip to the hospital and life-saving surgery for Canterbury Bulldogs great Steve “Turvey” Mortimer.

NRL legend Steve Mortimer discusses his recent health scare which occurred while out on a walk with a mate. Rugby league legend Steve Mortimer admits it is a miracle he’s still alive after he suffered a “widow-maker”.

Mortimer, 65, required emergency surgery last month for a 90 per cent blockage in his left main artery, a condition so deadly that doctors call it the “widow-maker”.

Now the “greatest living Bulldog” wants to use his story in the hope that it encourages others to undergo regular health checks.

“My heart is okay now, put it that way,’’ Mortimer said.
“I had no issues with my heart before this and it came as a shock for me and all my family.
“I’m a lucky one. You may call it a miracle but I’m just so happy that I’m okay and on my way to feeling 100 per cent fine again.’’

Mortimer, the first captain to lead NSW to a State of Origin series win and two-time premiership winning captain of Canterbury, has remained physically active since retiring from first grade in 1988 after a 273-game career with the Bulldogs.

Despite Mortimer also being diagnosed with early onset dementia, he has continued to exercise at least four times a week by boxing, walking and using a rowing machine.

Three weeks ago, on August 24, Mortimer was out walking with his close mate Darcy White near his home in Sydney’s south when he suddenly felt short of breath.

“I told Darcy I needed to sit down for a bit and catch my breath,’’ Mortimer said.
“I could feel something was amiss and I was feeling a little off, so I decided I should get back in my car and drive home.
“When I got home I told my wife Karen something wasn’t right with my chest.
“She could see that I was a little pale, so she drove me straight to Sutherland Hospital and I was taken in for tests.’’

Due to the hospital’s Covid-19 protocols, Karen wasn’t permitted to remain with her husband.

She waited anxiously as Mortimer underwent a coronary angiogram, which confirmed a major blockage to his heart.

The father of three and eldest brother to famous footballing brothers Peter, Chris and Glenn, required emergency surgery later that night. Highly-respected cardiologist Joseph Matthews implanted a lifesaving stent.

Somehow none of his former teammates or the wider league community discovered Mortimer spent three days recovering in hospital before being released.

“He’s very lucky,’’ Mortimer’s son Andrew said.
“It was a good thing Mum was home to get him to the hospital as quickly as she did.
“It’s obviously given us all a scare and has made us all sharpen up a bit and think about our own health.
“Due to Covid restrictions it’s made it difficult to go and see Dad, but we’re just so thankful that he’s still here.’’

Mortimer, who continues to work as the managing director of Australian Shuffleboard, said he was due for a follow-up examination in two weeks.

Speaking exclusively to The Saturday Telegraph, Mortimer said he felt comfortable and confident of a full recovery.

“Every week has been better and I’d like to think that, in a few more weeks, I’ll be as good as new,’’ Mortimer said.
“It’s a good reminder for everyone that even though you might feel okay, there’s no harm in talking to your doctor about getting done the necessary health checks related to your heart.’’

Canterbury Bulldogs chairman John Khoury was one of only a select few who knew of Mortimer’s health scare.

“I always refer to ‘Turvey’ (Mortimer) as the greatest living Bulldog,’’ Khoury said.
“He’s someone who is very dear to every Bulldog’s heart, including mine.
“I speak to Turvey weekly and I had literally spoken to him that morning (of the heart attack) and so when I found out about his heart scare, I was profoundly shocked.
“As a club, we’re so thankful that he’s come through it okay.
“Turvey is and always will be a very important person to this club.’’

Mortimer said one of his goals to achieve a full recovery was so that he could visit his beloved Bulldogs over summer following the club’s last-placed finish to the 2021 season.

“Canterbury have bought some good players for next season, so we’ll definitely be a more competitive side,’’ Mortimer said.
“I’d love nothing more to see the Bulldogs back up the ladder.’’

Mortimer isn’t the only rugby league legend to come forward this year to raise awareness for heart health.

Former Balmain Tigers fullback Garry Jack went public with his story of “second chance” after suffering a massive cardiac arrest in January.

Trophy Points
Very lucky indeed. We all tend to take our health for granted too much I reckon, and having said that I reckon the reason why is we don't want to seem like hypochondriacs.

Best wishes to Turvey as he recovers from surgery.

BomberBurton

Sending them high in the sky.
Trophy Points
I've a running theory that dementia is related to restricted blood flow to the brain, possibly due to calcification in the flow to it.
90% restriction to the heart could be considered circumstantial evidence.
I wonder if the increased blood flow will see an improvement in his dementia symptoms.
For his family's and his sake, I hope that it does.